Say no to pulling guard or using submissions from the guard for the next month.

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by flyingknee16, Aug 26, 2005.

1. flyingknee16

flyingknee16 Brown Belt

Well, I've been doing BJJ for nearly 2 years now, and I have bad habits regarding pulling guard and working almost exclusively from there. Of course, I've been working on sweeps and such, but my main game and strength is from my guard. But from this day on, I vow not to pull guard for the next month.

So, the rules are:
    1) No pulling guard from standing or "on knees" position.
    2) If you end up with your opponent in your guard, you must only sweep him or somehow get out (no subs).

Anyone with me? :D

2. FiveByFive

FiveByFive White Belt

You don't have to pull guard. You can do butterfly guard sweeps to end up on top. Or just push them.

But if you are going to go against a wrestler on your knees, there's no way you will not pull guard. There was this shootfighter with ample wrestling experience. He's 208 and I had to use my guard. Or try armbars from open guard when I have one of their arms trapped.

From standing I of course go for the takedown. Pulling guard from standup looks silly, unless you want points (you get points for pulling guard right?).

3. Foolkiller

Foolkiller You have meddled with the primal forces of nature!

Part of the only one holistic system of systems
    Most tournaments either penalise people for pulling guard or award no points in my experience.

4. FiveByFive

FiveByFive White Belt

Ok I guess I confused that with pulling guard if someone takes you down.

5. flyingknee16

flyingknee16 Brown Belt

Actually, I was referring to just working from the bottom in any way. I've got some good sweeps from the bottom, but I'd rather just end on top from the beginning in the first place.

And I've been doing rolling with strikes lately, and it can suck to be on your back if you are on the bottom and the guy on top is pounding.

6. flyingknee16

flyingknee16 Brown Belt

You still don't get any points if you pull guard when someone takes you down. The guy who attempts the takedowns still gets points, even if he ends up in your guard (if I recall correctly).

7. bammann45

bammann45 Yellow Belt

heh, I've been working just the opposite, I weight 270 and my top game is just fine --
    I almost never get taken down or swept, so I've been trying to work from the bottom/pull guard
    as much as possible lately....

8. flyingknee16

flyingknee16 Brown Belt

I'm a lanky guy (6'0" and weigh 160 lbs), so its easy for me to use my legs to do subs from the bottom, but I need to work my top game as much as possible now.

9. bammann45

bammann45 Yellow Belt

yeah, I've got stubby legs, I am 6 ft tall but have 30" inseam...
    so I've really been trying to work butterfly,xguard etc rather
    than just going for takedowns and top position, which honestly
    had become a lazy routine for me and is pretty lame to do all the time.

10. Enron Exec.

Enron Exec. Guest

I have been trying to keep gaurd recently. Im tired of being on top or turtling and playing hte chasing game

11. Balto

Balto Silver Belt

Sure, I will make an effort to do this.

I have a build similar to yours (6'0" 150 lbs). My guard sweeps are weaker than I would like. I feel that my guard submissions (mainly armbar and triangle) are strong, but I go for them so frequently that people anticipate them and defend. I will make an effort to only sweep from the guard from now on.

Also, I tend to pull guard way too much. Yesterday I was working with an experienced wrestler new to submission grappling and asked him to help me with my takedowns. One of the first things he said was, "I don't know if there's a reason for it, but every time I go for a takedown you guys just fall backwards on your own." Made me realize that I really don't ever sprawl. I always just counter with guard. Again, I will make an effort to sprawl instead of pull guard from now on.

12. lonewolf_454

lonewolf_454 Blue Belt

I really don't have a choice. Most everyone at my gym has pretty ample wrestling expeirience and a good majority of them are far stronger/more athletic than me. So lately, it's defend the takedown as long as I can, and WHEN i get taken down make sure i land in gaurd.

Pulling gaurd at the gym is not really accepted.

13. Rip Van Winkle

Rip Van Winkle Last Login 2009

I wish more tourneys would penalize people for pulling guard instead of going for a takedown.

14. ichimonji

ichimonji Blue Belt

when alot fo people are in class we start form our knees. what I was doing was a technique where you from your guard simply put both feet on him and scoot as far away as fast as you can and simply sit up and start from knees again. I conciously tried not to start from guard. If I got pinned and couldnt reverse it as soon as I got in guard I would not submit him or sweep I would push away and start from kneeling again.

I lost alot that month but I did get to work the knee tap from knees alot and also work from top alot. I also limited myself to submission techniques. 1 week only armbars. 1 week only figure 4 locks. If I could easily get a fig 4 lock but this week I was working on a diff tech I would just give it up and keep going.

I think this is a great idea. But also maybe some of the other guys who soley rely on a certain pin or hold can offer their advice too.

15. Big Red

Big Red Green Belt

Good luck on this, I was thinking the other day about the guard. Its not really my strong point, I manage to keep people in my spiderguard & am effective in this position but I've been pretty weak with dominant positions such as knee on belly, side mount & mount etc. I may try your vow aswell my friend, good luck.

16. beatnick

beatnick White Belt

l know exactly what u mean. Been into this for a while now cuz of my lacking skills in passing the guard and stick to positionings. Subs are very tempting but l need to practise on my holddowns and pins. My base suck at this point of time so l really need this too. After all l only been practising grappling less than 1 year.

17. tdk_tdk

tdk_tdk Yellow Belt

I'm never allowed to pull guard at my gym :icon_sad:

18. flyingknee16

flyingknee16 Brown Belt

Anyone can pull guard but it takes skill to do takedowns.

19. kneecompression

kneecompression Orange Belt

i actually need to do the opposite. i've been focusing on my top game for about 6 months now and my sweeps are crap lately...my bottom subs are even worse

20. Bmonk**

Bmonk** Guest

This is why I love Judo. Throwing people is way more satisfying and useful than koala bearing someone.

Say No to drugs, and stay in school.