Saw Tyrone Spongs most recent boxing match when will he fight a live body?

At this rate he will never be ready, I dont understand whats going on he has a name and any promoter from Golden boy, Top Rank, Hearn would gladly sign him and would have built him up on various undercards and the boost him to a TV undercard broadcast

He should have over 25 fights by now when you building up early they give you like 4 or 5 fights a year and then you step up.

I saw his boxrec and his managers are local as well as his promoter.
He will never be ready anyone can get a decent boxing record fighting bums.. he's too old and going off of name recognition alone.

For example here's fabien Maldonado amazing boxing record. It means fuck all.

http://boxrec.com/en/boxer/171565
Screenshot_20180903-205656.png

He will never be ready anyone can get a decent boxing record fighting bums.. he's too old and going off of name recognition alone.

For example here's fabien Maldonado amazing boxing record. It means fuck all.

http://boxrec.com/en/boxer/171565
View attachment 431193

yeah you can pad it in foreign countries thats what Spong is doing, and then fighting local shows, I think his manager is trying to build up his record and then CASH him out that is their plan maybe? they will throw him in with a top contender later or something

I had no idea he went into boxing. I remember he was in WSOF for a bit, then had a leg injury, then went off the radar. I do agree that he needs better career management, even if he’s in it only for a quick buck.

That is an impressive looking record, but god damm, I bet you at least half of those guys live in boxing gyms
Yea for sure. But they are still hand picked bottom of the barrel boxers. Look at their records. However that doesn't mean he's gonna be shit. He needs a test. He needs to beat anyone with name value.

Yea for sure. But they are still hand picked bottom of the barrel boxers. Look at their records. However that doesn't mean he's gonna be shit. He needs a test. He needs to beat anyone with name value.
its crazy how boxing still has people taking dives

They give a wink and money and thast the signal to build up the prospect they just pay some scrub boxer and he knows this is the guy they want to build up so ill just lay down for a grand.

They give a wink and money and thast the signal to build up the prospect they just pay some scrub boxer and he knows this is the guy they want to build up so ill just lay down for a grand.
Actually thats not the way to build a prospect, promoters want their prospects to earn rounds, the journeyman needs to impress and give a good fight in order to keep the paychecks coming, not saying there arent any dives in boxing but taking a dive at that level doesnt benefit anybody, that dude is never going to get another phone call from a promoter ever again, unless its me so that I can look good in my pro debut, there are high level fights where the money is at stake based on a particular fighter then yes, there will be monkey business.

dude started off at like 185.

he's not a natural heavyweight.
no he started out at around 154 then went to 160 then jumped up to 175 and after started to pack on the muscle to get to where he was when he got into K-1 then put on even more in Glory. He really pissed Lucien Carbin off because instead of being one of the greatest fighters at 168-175 he chased the money up at HW.

no he started out at around 154 then went to 160 then jumped up to 175 and after started to pack on the muscle to get to where he was when he got into K-1 then put on even more in Glory. He really pissed Lucien Carbin off because instead of being one of the greatest fighters at 168-175 he chased the money up at HW.
In all fairness to Spong, he would never made half the money or got a fraction of the following he ended up with had he stayed at 170.

In all fairness to Spong, he would never made half the money or got a fraction of the following he ended up with had he stayed at 170.
if he would've stayed at 168-176 and worked his way into boxing back when he was around 20-22 instead of going to HW in Kickboxing he could've made a decent amout. The Super Middleweight & Light Heavyweight divisions in Boxing could've made a good home for him I doubt he would've beaten the likes of Andre Ward or Carl Froch. In fights with guys like Edison Miranda, Lucian Bute, and Sakio Bika would've been competitive.

Its a little strange with Spongs career path. His style was imo quite good to integrate into mma. Much like Overeem. With his name value he could have earned quite some money and for a time he went that way but underperformed.

Regarding his boxing:
he has developed a nice jab and cross and is mobile for his size.
But imo his big problem is footwork. Its not bad but you clearly see his kickboxing origins and its a straight in&out style that wont work that well against better opponents. With his power he sure can catch many but he really does not have any more time to waste fighting low ranked journeymen.

Maybe this Latino WBC title is now the start to get better opponents but his first defense again was not worth mentioning at all. I dont really get why people pay to watch these one sided beat downs. A competitive amateur bout is imo much more interesting.

I just think it's kind of ironic he left kickboxing because he said the pay wasn't good enough and got into boxing where I'm sure his pay is even worse considering the guys he's fighting. He's past his prime physically, I don't see him ever having a meaningful fight in boxing

Its a little strange with Spongs career path. His style was imo quite good to integrate into mma. Much like Overeem. With his name value he could have earned quite some money and for a time he went that way but underperformed.

Regarding his boxing:
he has developed a nice jab and cross and is mobile for his size.
But imo his big problem is footwork. Its not bad but you clearly see his kickboxing origins and its a straight in&out style that wont work that well against better opponents. With his power he sure can catch many but he really does not have any more time to waste fighting low ranked journeymen.

Maybe this Latino WBC title is now the start to get better opponents but his first defense again was not worth mentioning at all. I dont really get why people pay to watch these one sided beat downs. A competitive amateur bout is imo much more interesting.
He is a natural middleweight who put on lots of muscle, so he is basically fighting too high in weight

Also the WBC latino title means you fight for the international next, once you get the wbc international you become a contender and in title contention you become a top three to fight as a mandatory for the strap.

@TidWell
Thats why I was surprised he didnt fight for the international after getting the latino title. He is taking way too much time fighting bums. Its ok to do that ,especially in boxing, to stay fit but not with half a year break in between and no career advancing fights in the making. We will see.

Is it? Match fixing happens in a lot of sports, many of which are less "shady" in the public consciousness than boxing is.

Is it? Match fixing happens in a lot of sports, many of which are less "shady" in the public consciousness than boxing is.
Bob sapp for example got lots of fights after it was well known he would quit if he didnt immediately overwhelm his opponent. He was joking about it backstage at a card a guy from my gym fought on a few yrs back in Asia.

@TidWell
Thats why I was surprised he didnt fight for the international after getting the latino title. He is taking way too much time fighting bums. Its ok to do that ,especially in boxing, to stay fit but not with half a year break in between and no career advancing fights in the making. We will see.
Yeah i think spong mistake was signing with the wrong managers and promoter, he probabaly got locked into a bad long term contract with a local promoter so now he is screwed. Hearn would sign him up, look at big baby miller he is a former kick boxer right and hearn signed him to that Dazn deal and for good money.

Back