Saw a trainer do something different does this make sense

yocan

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Ok had a kid (I mean 16 yrs old 115 lbs and the lankiest kid at that age I have ever seen) that got a trainer I think it was a good choice on his part.

Only saw the stuff the trainer who is a big guy for his height. I think he's more bodybuilder than powerlifter but he's pretty strong. only saw the work by the squat rack.

He had the kid doing Squats with just the bar to teach technique I totally approved.

Then RDLs he had the kid doing it with 55lbs so that he gets the correct range. He had him have his toes on top of 10lb plates saying ti teaches him to put his weight on his heels. Well the kid was crazy tight and lacking flexiility but had a serious bow in his back from it. So I would think that lifting your toes would increase the bow....... but I will admit by the third set the bow was seriously less severe.

Basically was what he was showing the kid to do does it make sense.

That's actually interesting. Whatever works I guess. I imagine that would force you on your heels which is proper form.

I would just have him lift his toes and keep them off the ground throughout the lift.

In any case, I can't see how it would cause lower back rounding. That kid would round his back, elevated toes or not.

Ok so not bad. I asked because he's the only trainer there that looks decent. The others are retards but he seems more than decent. I don't know how much he can squat/DL but I have seen multiple times with people he's training that he puts a priority on it. The others skip DL and just squat. Well not all of them squat but most do.

was the kid doing deep squats?

cos then i thought raising the toes would make his upper body lean forward too much since its doing the opposite of what weightlifting shoes do by raising the heel to make the shin more perpendicular to the ground

cos then i thought raising the toes would make his upper body lean forward too much since its doing the opposite of what weightlifting shoes do by raising the heel to make the shin more perpendicular to the ground

I think you've got that backwards. A raised heel throws the knee forward more, raised toes would keep the shin more vertical.

But I am pretty sure that putting something under his toes would cause lower back rounding. It alters the mechanics of the lift to where the hamstrings need to stretch more. If they can't, the lower back will round.

I think you've got that backwards. A raised heel throws the knee forward more, raised toes would keep the shin more vertical.

But I am pretty sure that putting something under his toes would cause lower back rounding. It alters the mechanics of the lift to where the hamstrings need to stretch more. If they can't, the lower back will round.

This.

Plus one of the benefits on weightlifting shoes is they help the lifter his weight on his heels.

^ How on earth will raising the toes on RDL's alter the mechanics of the lift to where the hamstrings need to stretch more?

^ How on earth will raising the toes on RDL's alter the mechanics of the lift to where the hamstrings need to stretch more?

The muscle fascia of the hamstrings and calves are continuous. The flexibility of one, and whether one is streched can affect the other.

^ Hmm... I didn't think of that. I'm impressed!

^
I'm pretty sure there is a picture in SS that illustrates what I am trying to say, but of course I can't find it on the internet.

A raised ball of the foot would force someone to "sit back" more with a more vertical shin. This forces the hamstrings to lengthen. By the same token, a raised heel pushes the knees forward, shortening the hamstrings. The "sitting back" causes the back rounding, in addition to the weird effect that the calves have on it.

Right?

^
I'm pretty sure there is a picture in SS that illustrates what I am trying to say, but of course I can't find it on the internet.

A raised ball of the foot would force someone to "sit back" more with a more vertical shin. This forces the hamstrings to lengthen. By the same token, a raised heel pushes the knees forward, shortening the hamstrings. The "sitting back" causes the back rounding, in addition to the weird effect that the calves have on it.

Right?
thats more or less what I was thinking. Hence why when I saw the kids back rounded I thought it would compound the problem. of course if next time he doesn't do it and just did it to teach the kid to be on his heels... meh if it works.

Back