Savate vs Taekwondo

I don't know too much about savate however the little that I did see it seemed to have more practical boxing and use of hands than I usually see in TKD....

Savate unless you're specifically wanted to compete in sport TKD.

But if you specifically wanted to do that, I imagine you wouldn't be asking in the first place.

Savate is way cooler than TKD. They can teach you how to beat someone up with a walking cane! That's pimp!

Like one of the guys above said, I like savate because of the better boxing with the hands. But that don't mean that it is better then TKD. The person makes the art not the art makes the person.

'Real' TKD, sorry I forget what the name for it is, is brutally effective.

EDIT: The name of the style I was looking for is Tukong Moosul I believe.

I saw the Savate episode of Fight Quest and those dudes were legit.

'Real' TKD, sorry I forget what the name for it is, is brutally effective.

EDIT: The name of the style I was looking for is Tukong Moosul I believe.

Hmmm...

I'd say most TKD is "Real" and you can get REAL good at it and go compete in the Olympics. It's just really a sport.

Hmmm...

I'd say most TKD is "Real" and you can get REAL good at it and go compete in the Olympics. It's just really a sport.

Hence the quote marks mate.

I was referring to a style of TKD not designed for sport but instead designed for combat. Yes TKD can obviously be used in a fight. However it is (mostly)designed and taught as a sporting art. Something like Tukong Moosul is not sporting unless the Olympic rules change and allow intentional killing and maiming of competitors.

Savate is way cooler than TKD. They can teach you how to beat someone up with a walking cane! That's pimp!

I also believe it's rooted from the French Sailors who would travel and watch Asian/Greek etc people at the ports so I'm sure the art has all kinds of sailor tricks.....

I saw the Savate episode of Fight Quest and those dudes were legit.

Yea I was very surprised at their skill level also.
Savate is a very underrated Martial Art simply because it's hard to find legit gyms in the States.

Savate > TKD
p.s. Savate is also one of the most effective forms of self-defense based on the fact that you train and learn to use shoes to your advantage while fighting.

I also believe it's rooted from the French Sailors who would travel and watch Asian/Greek etc people at the ports so I'm sure the art has all kinds of sailor tricks.....

Exactly true. Savate was created by sailors during long voyages who wanted to pass the time as well as kick some ass. When they came to port, they were ready to throw down. That's essentially how the art was passed down to the mainlanders.

I would train Savate partially because they have better boxing, low kicks and knees but mostly because I despise TKD

I've trained both TKD (as a kid, 3 years) and Savate and I think Savate us much, much better. Just my 2 cents.

I'd prefer Muay Thai to either of them. But if I had to choose, Savate all the way.

Back