Savate base?

O

OSB Flyweight

Just read a little bit about French savate. What do you guys think about this being a base for striking in today's mma? Keep in mind this is purely for discussion. I don't train in savate. I do muay Thai and boxing. I was just asking for other peoples opinions on another martial art

i dont think the kicks would work as good as thai/kickboxing/karate-kick as you see in MMA today. Savate guys kick with the shoe. And often the tip of the shoe

I've trained it a little. Because it's a shoe based martial art it incorporates a lot of strikes dealing with the tip of the toes. This could fuck up your feet without shoes on. There's also a lot of multiple kicks as you balance on one leg instead of the power of a kick synonymous with Muay Thai so that leaves the attacker a little vulnerable in a style that incorporates wrestling.

Savate looks cool. The seen plenty of highlight videos, they are very fluid with kicks and using them with punches.

Like all MA, they would have to adapt to MMA rules. Plenty of orgs to allow wrestlers to wear shoes...

Like all MA, they would have to adapt to MMA rules. Plenty of orgs to allow wrestlers to wear shoes...

Except apparently savate shoes have reinforced points. Got that from either human weapon or the other show. Also, i thought you cannot kick if you wear shoes.

From what i have seen of the art they have odd kicks. They often leave the leg out after they kick and dont retract it quickly which is taught as poor technique and dangerous in most arts.

Just read a little bit about French savate. What do you guys think about this being a base for striking in today's mma? Keep in mind this is purely for discussion. I don't train in savate. I do muay Thai and boxing. I was just asking for other peoples opinions on another martial art

Savate fighters seem to be a little too bouncy in their footwork, but other than that, savate seems just fine (except for those silly spandex clothes)

Savate fighters have a good boxing, often better than the average MT guy.... but i don't like the way they kick... and i'm scared by their dress :icon_chee

From what i have seen of the art they have odd kicks. They often leave the leg out after they kick and dont retract it quickly which is taught as poor technique and dangerous in most arts.

It is not so much that they leave the kicks out as they have a lot of unchambered straight kicks, so the return is also done un chambered.

I really like savate, but it's not very efficient in a MMA context, predominantly due to the fact that it is an extremely "long distance" style.

Also I believe you are not allowed to check leg kicks.

It's a style which is based on finesse.

One thing I like about Savate, opposed to MT, is that you can peck at an opponent without getting close to their hands. Those quick low kicks and push off kicks can really irritate a guy who wants to get inside. Although, like capoeira, it's a really physically demanding style and stance to maintain for an extended period of time (lots of quick movement).

I did Savate for a few months in Montreal before going back to Muay Thai. I enjoyed it, learned a few tricks and it helped a bit in my balance, flexability (which all styles should do) and also my footwork.

After returning home a lot the other Thai Boxers I sparred with would ask me where I learned to kick, as I would often string a few together with my footwork.

Keep in mind, I mostly use MT, but I did incorporate a few things I like from other styles. I follow Bruce Lee's advice:
Learn many styles. Use what works, discard that which doesn't.

There are a lot of great things about savate.
Great for fighting on the outside and ecorages varitiation of
strikes, unfortunate since you dont wear shoes in MMA
its a harder base to implement.

Back