Social Saturday is BBQ Day V3 - How big is your meat?

Harsh and spoken like a true Clegane

tenor.gif

C'mon koala fucker. How'd it go?

I totally forgot to respond to this thread. what a shit cunt, hey?!

It turned out good! So fucking nice, in fact. Had a blast.

Cooked for 6.5 hours, wrapped in tin foil at around 4 hour mark. Wrapped for a further 1.5 hours (towel in esky).

This was the final product. Next time for a smaller cut like this i would try not wrapping in tinfoil and just giving it a spritz every so often to see how the outer surface goes. It wasn't as barky as i hoped.

QeyD0BB.jpg

this was my little fire:

3qD1j12.jpg

and this was my daughter plowing into it! she absolutely loved it.

I bought a small brisket today, and am gonna have a crack at that next week!
@Te Huna Matata , would love your advice on how to prep and cook? its only a wee one, 2.5kg/5.5lb.

Salt and pepper, more than you think is necessary
250-275
Oak wood
Roughly 1hr per lb but more contingent on temp than time. Pull at 203-205. Let sit unwrapped for a bit to drop the temp, then wrap and rest for a few hours before slicing.

Hey guys I'm smoking a brisket and I have a question for the experts here.

All the recipes I found say leave it cooking until 204 degrees.

But the comments on some of those recipes say take it off at 194. I'm not sure who to believe.

I've only done one brisket in my life and it was small, and I left it til 204 and it came out a tad dry. Not sure if this one will be the same since it's twice the size, or should I try taking it out at 194?

Hey guys I'm smoking a brisket and I have a question for the experts here.

All the recipes I found say leave it cooking until 204 degrees.

But the comments on some of those recipes say take it off at 194. I'm not sure who to believe.

I've only done one brisket in my life and it was small, and I left it til 204 and it came out a tad dry. Not sure if this one will be the same since it's twice the size, or should I try taking it out at 194?

I would say take out at 195 and leave rest in a cooler for a few hours in foil and towels, if it's not quite done it will finish off then without drying out. But when in doubt probe with a skewer, if it goes through like butter she's good.

Did these ribs the other week, they were good but not real "meaty", can be hard to get decent meaty ribs around here. Costco is prob the best bet generally but it's not that close to here.

IMG-1274.jpg

Below was a pork rolled roast from last week, the crackling turned out great. I used animal fat rubbed on the skin this time, don't know if that helped or if it was the actual pork that did the trick.

IMG-1354.jpg

Looks good. What kinda sauce? @No MSG right?
I went to Wingstop one day and tried their 'Korean" wings. They were good..

I asked the counter girl if they sold the Korean sauce and she "No."
I thought I could do better than this on making my own.

I made the sauce with...Teriyaki sauce...Sriracha...Crushed chili...Toasted sesame seeds...Minced garilc...Honey.

You can control the spiciness by adding more or less of the Sriracha and crushed chilies.

It is a fooken bomb sauce!!!
Kinda proud of it and no MSG! :D

Made some Korean Pork the other day with it. Boneless country style pork ribs was the cut. It was really good.
Big chunks of pork that melted in your mouth.

20200728_174605.jpg

20200728_175105.jpg

Last edited:
I went to Wingstop one day and tried their 'Korean" wings. They were good..

I asked the counter girl if they sold the Korean sauce and she she "No."
I thought I could do better than this on making my own.

I made the sauce with...Teriyaki sauce...Sriracha...Crushed chili...Toasted sesame seeds...Minced garilc...Honey.

You can control the spiciness by adding more or less of the Sriracha and crushed chilies.

It is a fooken bomb sauce!!!
Kinda proud of it and no MSG! :D

Made some Korean Pork the other day with it. Boneless country style pork ribs was the cut. It was really good.
Big chunks of pork that melted in your mouth.

20200728_174605.jpg

20200728_175105.jpg

Looks so good!

I would say take out at 195 and leave rest in a cooler for a few hours in foil and towels, if it's not quite done it will finish off then without drying out. But when in doubt probe with a skewer, if it goes through like butter she's good.
Thanks. It didn't go in like butter so I left it on until about 200 then took it off. I let it sit for an hour before cutting into it and it still came out a little dry.

Well one end did anyway, the fatty end was fine.

Thanks. It didn't go in like butter so I left it on until about 200 then took it off. I let it sit for an hour before cutting into it and it still came out a little dry.

Well one end did anyway, the fatty end was fine.

I read an AMA with Franklin where he said he lets a brisket sit out after pulling it to let the temp come down naturally before wrapping and putting in a cooler. He said if you immediately wrap, you'll continue cooking it which can make it dry.

Just ordered a wireless Bluetooth meat thermometer to break out on the weekend, really looking forward to sciencing it all up.

I've done BBQ chicken, made burgers and cooked steak, I'm keen to spread my wings a bit, anyone have any suggestions as to what to cook up?

Little more Med Rare than Rare, but it was damn tasty.

Back