Social Saturday is BBQ Day V3 - How big is your meat?

I personally don't wrap ribs either. I got a new smoker (Louisiana Grills kamado style) and am struggling to dial it in below like 275 or so so i haven't really felt the need to wrap when I'm running that hot. They cook fast enough.

Butcher gave me 6lb of fairly lean ribeye roast yesterday as he hadn't got a brisket big enough for me.

Seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder, dried thyme and lemon juice.
Had it on lumpwood and oak chunks in the kettle for 3.5hrs at 250f till it reached 130 internal temp.
Left to rest for half an hour+ while I grilled the sides.

Seared it over fresh lump and carved it up at the table, was on the right side of medium done and tasted beautiful, really tender.
Served 8 of us with seconds and some for leftovers.

Read recipes from Steven Raichlen and Meathead Goldwyn, as well as one on YouTube from Cooking with Ry, they definitely helped.

I personally don't wrap ribs either. I got a new smoker (Louisiana Grills kamado style) and am struggling to dial it in below like 275 or so so i haven't really felt the need to wrap when I'm running that hot. They cook fast enough.
What do you think of the LG Kamado overall?
They're much cheaper than BGE or Kamado Joe over here and Costco have them almost year round.

First cook on new cooker = Pork Butt. Pork Butts are super well marbled so they can stand up to high heat changes, they are easy to cook, and even when cooked "wrong" they still have a lot of very good meat. It's also a "long cook" type of meat, like a brisket, so you'll get a lot of good experience out of the cook.

Congrats on the new cooker and I recommend spending a few hours running the smoker "dry" with no meat. Get your fire management down, learn how your wood creates and replenishes the coal bed, and try to see the swing of temperatures. I can't stress it enough but keeping that coal bed is what's going to give you the best results when running a stickburner. I've never used Iron Bark so I have no idea how it burns, or how well it "coals up," so you'll need to do some tests with it and see how it goes. Better to do this when you don't have food on the cooker, so if you have issues you won't be potentially bathing the meat in shitty smoke.

I'm going to link this video about fire management because it's very good and explains how to maintain a fire, what to do if your wood won't catch on fire, etc..

Awesome advice thanks man. Pork butt it is. I will certainly spend a day getting my fire management right, also gotta season the new unit anyway.

I've been watching a lot of that guys videos in preparation so thanks for the link and reinforcement it's the correct message. I would've hated to hear that guy is the Joshua Fabia of YouTube bbq channels hahaha.

Can't wait to get my unit delivered and get cooking!

Awesome advice thanks man. Pork butt it is. I will certainly spend a day getting my fire management right, also gotta season the new unit anyway.

I've been watching a lot of that guys videos in preparation so thanks for the link and reinforcement it's the correct message. I would've hated to hear that guy is the Joshua Fabia of YouTube bbq channels hahaha.

That dude is a bonafide chemist, and he has some great videos about the chemistry of BBQ. One of my favorites is his recent video about the amount of moisture going through a cook chamber due to the combustion of wood. Pretty cool observation and he definitely knows his stuff.

Gotta be the amount of fat vs. meat in waygu, right? No way it should finish up that quickly.

Pretty much. Now that I have a huge offset smoker with a baffling system I don't fuck with lower temps anymore. I did these at 275 for 4 hours, finished in foil. They were melt in your mouth amazing.

I always tell people pork butt should be their first cook as well because it's so forgiving. Even if you get to higher temps you still get plenty of delicious food to eat. Plus, it's inexpensive. I can get it for sometimes $1/lb, but almost always under $2/lb here.

I always tell people pork butt should be their first cook as well because it's so forgiving. Even if you get to higher temps you still get plenty of delicious food to eat. Plus, it's inexpensive. I can get it for sometimes $1/lb, but almost always under $2/lb here.
Thanks man, and @usmctanker242 and @Te Huna Matata
Hopefully the unit arrives before the weekend and ill get her fired up. Otherwise it'll be another week.

Will post asking for some more advice on how to do my virgin pork butt then! (don't read into that, you sick bastards)

EDIT

So preliminary research shows the names of the cuts wilds varies between the US and Aus.
Over here the boston butt/pork butt is called a pork neck or pork scotch fillet.
There is some discussion around bone in or no bone.
Does the pork butt you are thinking of have a bone in?

Last edited:
Thanks man, and @usmctanker242 and @Te Huna Matata
Hopefully the unit arrives before the weekend and ill get her fired up. Otherwise it'll be another week.

Will post asking for some more advice on how to do my virgin pork butt then! (don't read into that, you sick bastards)

EDIT

So preliminary research shows the names of the cuts wilds varies between the US and Aus.
Over here the boston butt/pork butt is called a pork neck or pork scotch fillet.
There is some discussion around bone in or no bone.
Does the pork butt you are thinking of have a bone in?
Boston butt is pork shoulder/neck.
Usually cooked bone (shoulder blade) in, whereas over here it's usually boned and rolled.

I think Aussie cuts are closer to English cuts than American but as BBQ scene is growing, more are catering to American style cuts.
Best thing you can do on that front is get friendly with your butcher and explain what you're after.

From what I've seen of American cuts they're all vacuum packed and graded at source.
We can buy Aussie/Kiwi and USDA meat over here packed and graded so you should be able to get it that way too.

Unless I order something out of the ordinary our village butcher is cutting it off a hanging side of beef or a whole pig from the fridge so I'm lucky on that front, and if he doesn't have what I'm after he usually gives us a good deal on an alternative.

Boston butt is pork shoulder/neck.
Usually cooked bone (shoulder blade) in, whereas over here it's usually boned and rolled.

I think Aussie cuts are closer to English cuts than American but as BBQ scene is growing, more are catering to American style cuts.
Best thing you can do on that front is get friendly with your butcher and explain what you're after.

From what I've seen of American cuts they're all vacuum packed and graded at source.
We can buy Aussie/Kiwi and USDA meat over here packed and graded so you should be able to get it that way too.

Unless I order something out of the ordinary our village butcher is cutting it off a hanging side of beef or a whole pig from the fridge so I'm lucky on that front, and if he doesn't have what I'm after he usually gives us a good deal on an alternative.
Thanks man. I actually remembered there is a good butcher nearby who has a tonne of cuts and he advertises both Boston Butt (aka pork shoulder, bone in) as well as Pork Collar (which i understand to be a smaller cut just above the boston butt). Boston Butt is in the 4-5 kg = 8 - 12 lb range.
So thats perfect. $10-11 (AUD)/kg as well which isn't terrible. I'll get a pork butt and i'll get some info from the guy when i pick it up.

Thanks man. I actually remembered there is a good butcher nearby who has a tonne of cuts and he advertises both Boston Butt (aka pork shoulder, bone in) as well as Pork Collar (which i understand to be a smaller cut just above the boston butt). Boston Butt is in the 4-5 kg = 8 - 12 lb range.
So thats perfect. $10-11 (AUD)/kg as well which isn't terrible. I'll get a pork butt and i'll get some info from the guy when i pick it up.

Bone-in should be be cheaper, and it also has the advantage of not being hacked apart...getting that blade bone out of a pork butt is tough and butchers just hack up the meat trying to get it out. I hope your cooker shows up soon enough as that wait can feel like forever!

Did a lamb shoulder yesterday with some jerk rub, the fucker took 11 hours so I had something else for dinner ha ha. Leftovers tonight were epic, made a gravy from the drippings too

IMG-1248.jpg

Oh and no foil either, wanted that bark.

I always cook bone-in so I don't have to truss the smaller parts against the larger parts from the butcher hacking the bone out. Plus, it's a pretty awesome feeling pulling the bone out with no resistance when done.

What do you think of the LG Kamado overall?
They're much cheaper than BGE or Kamado Joe over here and Costco have them almost year round.

I have no point of reference as I've never used a Kamado Joe or a BGE but for the price, it's a sunburnt pecker. You can't beat it.

When i was seasoning it, i got it up to 825. But i still have yet to dial in the low end.

Did a lamb shoulder yesterday with some jerk rub, the fucker took 11 hours so I had something else for dinner ha ha. Leftovers tonight were epic, made a gravy from the drippings too

IMG-1248.jpg

Oh and no foil either, wanted that bark.

Hey BBQ is not a given science. Every cook will be different every time. You will one in to a cut that just wants to hit a a stall and and you can either wait it out or do a texas crtutch on wrap it in foil/paper .

Hey BBQ is not a given science. Every cook will be different every time. You will one in to a cut that just wants to hit a a stall and and you can either wait it out or do a texas crtutch on wrap it in foil/paper .

Yeah this one stalled at a high temp, like high 70s celsius. It also didn't help that it was a very still day, I did the snake method and it took quite a while for the snake to really get going.

Yeah was thinking about the foil but really prefer that bark, i've never tried the butcher paper trick but I believe that has the same effect while keeping the bark?

Yeah this one stalled at a high temp, like high 70s celsius. It also didn't help that it was a very still day, I did the snake method and it took quite a while for the snake to really get going.

Yeah was thinking about the foil but really prefer that bark, i've never tried the butcher paper trick but I believe that has the same effect while keeping the bark?

I don't wrap personally, like you I love the bark. As for as wrapping it in paper I would not do it on a two side fire smoker. If you you have a offset and know it and can control the fire box you should be ok.

Back