Social Saturday is BBQ Day V3 - How big is your meat?

@Rob Battisti Good stuff man, that brisket looks great! BBQ Competitions are a lot of fun but holy shit it's a long day of work and especially so when you're cooking in cold temps. I can't recall ever having a brisket stall at 135 before, but either way you did exactly what you were supposed to do and just ride it out and let it do its thing. Clean fire and consistency is what wins, so again, great job!

View attachment 734721

Wow that was easy! That’s me on the left and my buddy on the right. Still too exhausted to go into detail on the day but honestly it came down to two things...

Fire Management: we had the cleanest smoke in the competition for the highest % of time.
Patience: We hit a stall at 135 on the brisket for FOUR HOURS. Usually my stall happens around 150-160 but holy shit 135 for 4 hours scared us. It was about 35-40 degrees over night so we just had to sit there and freeze our asses off watching the fire.

@Rob Battisti nice fucking work, dude! I've had stalls anywhere from 135-185. You're always taught "155-165ish!" and when it happens WELL outside that range, you freak out. Good on you, bro. You should be proud.

Thanks guys! Still have to do the full recap, but the 135 stall definitely was scary. We were PUMPED to just see it hit 137! Lol

70523D1B-E47B-4D4E-AC5F-90E59B2DF01F.jpeg

Doing the Johnny trigg ribs recipe

Those are chicken thighs in the bucket with

Red onion
Garlic
Carrots
Celery
Habanero
Beer
Water
Sugar
Salt
Sage
Cilantro

notice the 12 fires tempernillo wine

Welp, selling my brisket and PP to restaurants to serve now. Will be expanding to wings and more this summer.

It's a crazy feeling know that restaurants want your Q to sell to their customers. Wild.

God damn @MASShole save some BBQ business for the rest of us. haha Congratulations and good luck on that venture. Do you think it's going to become a full time thing now that you're doing this for restaurants?

Welp, selling my brisket and PP to restaurants to serve now. Will be expanding to wings and more this summer.

It's a crazy feeling know that restaurants want your Q to sell to their customers. Wild.

care to expand on that?

I’m really passionate about my cooking mainly because it’s fun but nothing is more fun than making money doing what you love.

I’m a little anxious to turn my hobby into my side business

care to expand on that?

I’m really passionate about my cooking mainly because it’s fun but nothing is more fun than making money doing what you love.

I’m a little anxious to turn my hobby into my side business

The hardest part is being able to keep the quality as high as you'd like when you're doing so much food at once. It's easy to keep an eye on a brisket or a pork butt, but when you've got 300Lbs of those meats in the smoker it's quite a bit more difficult to get everything perfect. I run a small BBQ food trailer business and it's a lot of fun, but holy fuck it's a lot more work than I would have ever imagined. Unlike @MASShole I don't sell my food to a restaurant, and instead have to go out and vend it, but it's really endearing when people show up with their entire office because they smelled your food last week and wanted their own tray.

Smoking this bad boy tonight. 16 lbs of prime brisket.

20200324_003901_1.jpg

Rubbed with mustard, course salt & pepper. Smoking with charcoal with a combo of mesquite/cherry.

10 hours in, just got up. Adding some fuel to the fire.

20200325_091115.jpg

Every day has been BBQ day since UK were put on lockdown on Tuesday.
Mostly grilling burgers, sausage and quickly smoked some tikka chicken breasts yesterday.

Ventured out to the butcher's this morning and he's sorted me a pork shoulder and a couple of racks of spare rib.

Here are some pics of the brisket. Overall about 14 hours of cook time in the Weber Smokey Mountain & 2 hours of resting in the cooler.

Meat temp, Ambient temp vs grill temp
20200325_113232_1.jpg 20200325_112651_1.jpg

Meat on the smoker
20200325_112746_1.jpg 20200325_112736_1.jpg 20200325_112759_1.jpg

Pics of the cut & grub up next.

Has anyone tried making pastrami? It seems to be the exact same process of traditionally smoking a brisket, the only difference is you brine the meat for about a week and use a different rub.

Want to make some huge NY deli style reubans.

Whole brisket

Just the flat

Our favorite pizza joint sells pastrami like this. It's amazing. I'll try to dig up some pics. I made some but tried the flat first. I didn't want to ruin a whole brisket. lol

EDIT: Here are the pics.

My first try on the left, favorite pizza joint on the right. Mine had good flavor but not as juicy as I'd like. May try again.
20191221_105933_1.jpg 20190824_151456_1.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm even with screenshotting the photos I can’t upload. Pork shoulder in there today. Looks good! Been spraying with duck fat instead of spritzing. Getting a nice bark.

Back