Social Saturday is BBQ Day V3 - How big is your meat?

Short rib was a success.
Dry brined 48 hrs before cooking, then rubbed with pepper and garlic powder this morning.
Cooked at 285f average temp.
Wrapped it in foil at around 185 with butter, Dr Pepper and muscovado sugar.
Took it off to rest at 204f, left the foil on and covered in teatowels until family arrived and the rest of the food was ready.

Screenshot_20200222_205514_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Wow what an experience.

Field of 25 competitors in Austin.

Fourth in chicken
Fourth in ribs
FIRST in Brisket!

WOW!

will give a full download later as I am exhausted from not sleeping all night.

Such a nice day I thought I would break out the Traeger.

Smoking for 1-1/2 to 2 hours then throw them on the propane Weber to get them crispy!

20200222_145152_zpsxbond0cw.jpg
20200222_145152_zpsxbond0cw.jpg

20200222_145200_zpsz5aahr6p.jpg

20200222_145205_zpsgjel9sv7.jpg

Wow what an experience.

Field of 25 competitors in Austin.

Fourth in chicken
Fourth in ribs
FIRST in Brisket!

WOW!

will give a full download later as I am exhausted from not sleeping all night.

God damn! That's amazing buddy, good stuff! I look forward to the "full download" in the future. Congratulations and I'm glad you had a good experience.

So it looks like AmazingRibs.com (and Meathead in general) are having a meltdown over the Weber SmokeFire. They kind of took some cheap shots at some of the YouTubers who had poor experiences with the grill, and people didn't like those cheap shots. This started accusations that Meathead and AmazingRibs.com was basically shilling for Weber and it got kind of nasty.

16-E74-F8-B-EDB0-4-EDF-A299-E106399-B44-F9.png

i-KL4WXvF-XL.png

49-EF1078-2-A79-4-FE9-A529-EBB76-E76328-E.png

Then you've got Weber's "Pitmaster" out there, Kevin Kolman, who put out a pretty shitty post basically trying to mock anyone who doesn't like their grill..essentially he's suggesting they're as dumb as a child. Pretty crazy to see Weber's premier guy lashing out on social media.

attachment.php

The funny part is that after all the bullshit Weber posted about their new pellet grill not needing a drip tray inside the smoke chamber, they just put out this video the other day. I'm sure the user manual will be updated soon enough to include the necessary use of a drip tray inside the cooking chamber. Mind you they just finished a 3 month campaign telling everybody that the SmokeFire was so perfectly designed that a drip tray wasn't needed and that they're "grease system" was so well designed that they couldn't create a grease fire in their prototypes even when they tried. LMAO

I can't wait for spring to fire up the smoker again. Yes I could do it now but takes twice as long and burn twice as much wood to get it done in the winter.

First thing I am gonna do is lamb it be a leg of lamb or rack of lamb. I freaking love lamb lol. Splash of grape vines,oak and pecan.

Also finally gonna get to try maple for the first time this year. One cord for free as the guy who cut it down only wanted the main trunk. Score for me.

That is gonna see either butt,shoulder or ribs off the bat not sure which yet.

Also finally gonna get to try maple for the first time this year. One cord for free as the guy who cut it down only wanted the main trunk. Score for me.

That is gonna see either butt,shoulder or ribs off the bat not sure which yet.

Maple is a great smoking wood but it really depends on what time of year it was harvested, and how long it has cured. If it's harvested while it's producing good amounts of syrup then it can have an awesome smell which is almost exactly like pancakes with syrup. If it's not harvested during that time, or it's over-cured, it's just straight up heat with almost no aroma. Either way a free cord is great and it does burn very well and produces a great coal bed. I always saved my maplewood for turkey as it really compliments it well (IMO, of course).

Better photo of yesterday's short rib, really happy with how it turned out, and again I'm amazed at how well the kettle held its temperature, and the depth of the smoke flavour.

IMG-20200223-WA0001.jpg

@usmctanker242 Meathead Goldwyn comes across as a bit of a holier than thou tosser in his book so I'm not surprised he's going over the top about the Smokefire. There's some great information in there for sure, but a lot of the first half seems to be a dig at how other people prepare and cook under the guise of myth busting.

Pretty ridiculous of Weber to post the video advising lining pit with grease trays, when one of the biggest USP's they've been touting before the release was how ash isn't going to fly up into the cooking chamber because of the tray below the fire box, and all the grease will all be collected in the adjacent liner in the same pull out tray.

I can't see the post from Kevin Kolman but in one of Baby Back Maniac's videos he said he'd been speaking directly with him.

@Saku's Son The bark on those beef ribs looks amazing! Just out of curiosity what was the temp and cook time? Those Weber kettles really are solid and as long as you don't let the lid get damaged and/ or misshapen then they hold temps very well.

When it comes to Meathead I've met him and chatted with him a bit, and I sat and listened to him give a lecture about "What is BBQ?" It was an interesting lecture which kind of discussed how some people will say BBQ is only low and slow over coals, while others think an offset smoker is required, and then the new technology driven stuff today. He had a cool conclusion and it was pretty much this : BBQ is anything cooked with fire and smoke. Anyways, he really seemed like a nice guy and as you brought up he is fully invested in the mythbusting in BBQ. I totally understand why because even today, with access to the internet, people are still bitchy and snippy at people who cook differently than they do...I know I've sniped at people cooking on pellets in the past. haha And because he's out there using science to crush BBQ dogma people get super agitated, and I can imagine how day after day hearing people parrot things which have been proven wrong (time and again) can get irritating.

What I'm saying is that I don't think he intended to come off as "holier than thou" and instead was just trying to make sure that people recognize that the BBQ dogma isn't the only way to do things. It sounds like he was getting attacked pretty hard about the SmokeFire, and he's a full on Weber nut-hugger who lives right by their HQ in Chicago. He was also there with the other "influencers" at the Weber media party for the SmokeFire a few months ago. And just about everything Weber has ever made has a "Gold Star" rating from AmazingRibs.com, so I can see why people feel like he's being a dick and dismissing the problems that people are having with the SmokeFire. In reality the problems MUST be real because Weber finally decided it was time to do some damage control and just admit that drip pans are necessary in a pellet cooker.

@Saku's Son The bark on those beef ribs looks amazing! Just out of curiosity what was the temp and cook time? Those Weber kettles really are solid and as long as you don't let the lid get damaged and/ or misshapen then they hold temps very well.
Thanks mate.
I used weber briquettes with a handful of oak chips in the baskets that came with the weber, water pan/drip tray in the centre.

Temp was at 285 average for most of the cook, peaked at 305 and didn't drop below 265 before I foil wrapped.

I put them on just before 9am yesterday, wrapped them after about 5 and a half hours (185f) with butter, Dr Pepper and brown sugar.
Took them off the grill at 8 hours (204f) and let them rest half an hour wrapped in towels before serving with salad, pickles, mac n cheese and slaw.

They went down well with the in laws and I had a great time cooking.

@Saku's Son Right on man, good stuff. I haven't cooked on a kettle grill in forever, so maybe things just tend to take a bit longer. I've done beef ribs in my offsets and my cabinet smoker and they're always done in about 6 hours at 250-275°. I usually leave them on the grill for about 4 hours, and then wrap for the last 2 hours or so. Anyways, sounds (and looks) like you did everything right, so good stuff and I'm really glad you're enjoying that kettle.

FD4FCB13-B286-417B-8D9D-8524A087F3AF.jpeg

Wow that was easy! That’s me on the left and my buddy on the right. Still too exhausted to go into detail on the day but honestly it came down to two things...

Fire Management: we had the cleanest smoke in the competition for the highest % of time.
Patience: We hit a stall at 135 on the brisket for FOUR HOURS. Usually my stall happens around 150-160 but holy shit 135 for 4 hours scared us. It was about 35-40 degrees over night so we just had to sit there and freeze our asses off watching the fire.

I didn't mean that I gave that food away...dude paid for 60 plates and only 33 showed up, so I gave him the rest of the food for which he had paid. For catering gigs I always cook more than needed just in case, and then I'll let them know I have extra, but if they want it they're paying for it. I had 60 trays set aside for the gig and use that as my method for controlling how much food goes out the serving window. I've gotten a lot better at using left-overs by making "Pork and Beans" when I have leftover pulled pork, and I make an awesome "Brisket Chili" on the rare occasion when I have left over brisket.

I always love pairing brisket with pork butt because they are both "long cooks" and take about the same amount of time to cook. This way I can do all my sides and get the trailer ready to go while the smoker is doing its thing. I used to cook my chicken "hot and fast" but I've been messing around with smoking it at 250° and people are absolutely LOVING it. I use Lawry's Seasoning Salt as a base rub because it has corn starch in it which helps to dry out the skin. Then I'll add my own rub as a top coat and smoke chicken legs / thighs for about 3.5-4 hours. They come out so good and it's damned near as crispy if I was using an air fryer.

Good luck with your event and I'm really happy that this catering thing is working out for you. It's stressful (at least in my experience) but it's satisfying watching people eat and their eyes light up and then a huge smile after they eat some awesome BBQ. Out here in North Carolina brisket isn't a common meat, so it's a pleasure to be able to give people their first bite of brisket.

I've been doing chicken at 250 for longer, and ramp up to crisp the skin (or in a hot oven). Corn starch helps so much! I do tend to brine my chicken before smoking anyway, as what I buy isn't pre-brined so I get to play with the flavors.

My goal this year was for both of us to take $5k home, and if we do those two events this summer it'll likely be closer to $10k. We are still being selective in what we do, but if we get to the point where we're doing 1 large cook each month for a few months in the spring/summer/fall we may need to actually hire people. My friend and my sister always volunteer for us and love doing it.

My new vertical smoker can do 3 slabs of ribs per shelf, 6 shelves. I want to be able to need a smoker of your size!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back