Social Saturday is BBQ Day V3 - How big is your meat?

Hoping to do some smoking by September. It’s been brutally hot here (104+) every day. Waiting until it’s bearable to be outside

Quit being a pussy.... BBQ is a 365 day a year way of life regardless of weather. ; ) Speaking of which where are you at in Texas?

We had a cold front come through here at the end of last week and I woke up at 2am to start my fire and walked outside....and it wasn't hot or muggy. God damned temp was 63° and I was happy as a pig in shit.

Quit being a pussy.... BBQ is a 365 day a year way of life regardless of weather. ; ) Speaking of which where are you at in Texas?

We had a cold front come through here at the end of last week and I woke up at 2am to start my fire and walked outside....and it wasn't hot or muggy. God damned temp was 63° and I was happy as a pig in shit.

Haha honestly I feel weak for even writing that but holy smokes it’s hot!

I’m in Austin now! BBQ scene is much bigger than I ever imagined.

@Rob Battisti I can imagine the BBQ Scene in Austin being pretty amazing. Have you tried any places that made you think something like "Wow, this is better than my BBQ?"

Only place so far I've found that had better food then what I cook (in my opinion of course) was Swig and Swine in Charleston, SC. I also went to a BBQ festival of sorts called "Bovinoche." They cook whole cow...fucking whole cow. Everything they cooked was whole animal from chickens to lamb to pigs to cow. So very basic and it just works....best pulled pork I've ever had in my life was at the event by a large margin. I'm working on getting my "whole hog" skills sharpened up, but it's costly to practice. Even a small pig with a decent amount of fat is running about $200. I'm going to start working it into my daily menu on payday Fridays rather than doing pork shoulders.

Totally agree. @usmctanker242

I feel like my pulled pork is better, but it may be a preference thing. Some pulled pork I find is TOO tender to the point where it’s mush. Other times it’s over sauced to the point where I can’t even taste the meat. Hard to find a happy medium.

Brisket is a crap shoot to be honest. Some people are great but I find 3/4s of it just poorly done. Over cooked or no distinguishing flavor profile. I’m by no means great at brisket, but I can give a tender moist bite.

Ribs however, are my nemesis. Sometimes I love mine, sometimes I hate mine. Some places are great and some are awful. It’s all over the place. Consistency is my biggest gripe with BBQ.

The best three “bites, I’ve ever had though were as follows.

Franklins Brisket
Myron’s ham from a whole hog cook. Ungodly good.
Sandflys Baby Back rib. They are in savannah if you’re ever around there.

Totally agree. @usmctanker242

I feel like my pulled pork is better, but it may be a preference thing. Some pulled pork I find is TOO tender to the point where it’s mush. Other times it’s over sauced to the point where I can’t even taste the meat. Hard to find a happy medium.

Brisket is a crap shoot to be honest. Some people are great but I find 3/4s of it just poorly done. Over cooked or no distinguishing flavor profile. I’m by no means great at brisket, but I can give a tender moist bite.

Ribs however, are my nemesis. Sometimes I love mine, sometimes I hate mine. Some places are great and some are awful. It’s all over the place. Consistency is my biggest gripe with BBQ.

The best three “bites, I’ve ever had though were as follows.

Franklins Brisket
Myron’s ham from a whole hog cook. Ungodly good.
Sandflys Baby Back rib. They are in savannah if you’re ever around there.

Was Franklin's brisket really above and beyond? I make a good fucking brisket and I've had people get weak at the knees when I hand out burnt ends as I'm getting setup for service. I find it hard to believe that his brisket is that much better than mine...though this likely just my ego.

I'll bet Myron's whole hog really was top notch...he did some cooking at the BBQ conference I went to and I wasn't even able to get to his booth because he was swarmed by the festival goers. A friend I met at the festival had Chris Lilly's beef ribs and told me not to try them simply because it would be impossible to ever find a better bite of beef. haha

I loved the Franklin brisket for two reasons.

1. It was simple and it had a huge beef flavor. Moist, tender, but not falling apart. Just heavenly. I’m getting it again tomorrow so I’ll see if it’s as good as I remember. So far, only ones I’ve cooked I’ve liked close to as much.

2. It was unwrapped and sliced immediately as I ordered. Most places have it unwrapped under some kind of heat, just kills the taste and bite.

Hey everybody,

So I'm smoking up a 90Lb pig today just for shits and giggles. I'm cooking on my "hog roaster" style smoker which is on the porch of my BBQ food trailer. I did a very basic trim ; exposed the hams, trimmed off all excess fat, cleared out any bone fragments.

I then injected with Myron Mixon's basic Hog Injection ; apple juice, white vinegar, salt, sugar, Worcestershire Sauce.

I'm going super simple with this cook and trying to focus on the process of getting the whole pig cooked properly. So I just used salt as a rub and salted both sides very liberally. I've got it on the smoker now and am running it between 275-300°. I'm using propane for the heat source and I'm running a small fire of pecan and pear wood for the smoke. I started belly down for a couple of hours and will rotate the pig belly up once I hit about 135-145° in the shoulders.

I'm making an Imgur album here :

Here's the first pic right after I put the pig on the smoker...I did clean it up a bit after this before I kicked up the heat.
AQV0fbu.jpg

I loved the Franklin brisket for two reasons.

1. It was simple and it had a huge beef flavor. Moist, tender, but not falling apart. Just heavenly. I’m getting it again tomorrow so I’ll see if it’s as good as I remember. So far, only ones I’ve cooked I’ve liked close to as much.

2. It was unwrapped and sliced immediately as I ordered. Most places have it unwrapped under some kind of heat, just kills the taste and bite.
Franklins is traditional Texas BBQ. Salt and Pepper rub

Franklins is traditional Texas BBQ. Salt and Pepper rub

It's a salt and pepper base, but with other ingredients. Here's an article with Jon Lewis who worked at Franklin's BBQ for over 2 years. He says explicitly that he has NEVER cooked a brisket with just salt and pepper. Here's the actual quote :
"
JL: I did want to add that I’ve never cooked a brisket in my life whether it be at La Barbecue, at Franklin Barbecue or on the competition circuit with just salt and pepper. I have yet to do that.

DV: What do you use for seasoning at La Barbecue?

JL: Lawry’s seasoned salt, black pepper, garlic powder, mustard and pickle juice.

DV: Is that the rub you used at Franklin?

JL: I can’t say.
"

Pig came out very good and I was super happy with the end result. Hams were a bit dry but otherwise it was a homerun. Belly was just amazing...just unreal how good it was. 90Lb pig turned into about 30-35Lbs of pulled pork...not very cost efficient but still a fun cook and a great day.

Did my first chuck roast this past week. I may not go back to brisket (unless requested.). $2 less per pound out here and reduced cook time.

Did my first chuck roast this past week. I may not go back to brisket (unless requested.). $2 less per pound out here and reduced cook time.

I've never had much luck with chuck roast, but to be fair I've always used Select when doing them, so that could be part of the issue. What was your process...ie cook temp, type of cooker, rub, etc?

2 part salt,
2 part black pepper,
1 part cayenne
A little powdered garlic

Rub it, wrap it, sit it overnight. Rub it again.
250°F-ish until 165. Pull. Wrap. Back on until 195+. Sit for ten minutes like a steak or towel and cooler for an hour or two like a brisket.

Got about 28lbs of Pork in the BGE for today.
rWGBB1V.jpg

Gonna do Wings and Links later for the fights. Today we Feast.

Cant Stop Wont Stop Wing Stop

84HbG6Y.jpg

This was a rolled roast brisket i did yesterday. Experimented with the rub a bit, used some cumin, paprika and curry powder mainly with salt and pepper, was ok. The roast was a bit dry, was unsure it was brisket in the end, anyway it went well with the gravy I made (and the mac and cheese)

IMG-2415-2.png

I also bought a new Weber, well not new but second hand, off Facebook. One of the old ones with the wooden handles, got a shitload of cooks left in it for sure!

Hey All,

So my BBQ food trailer is doing a decent amount of business. I've been cooking on my reverse flow offset cooker and to be honest it's wearing me the fuck out. So I've decided to make an audible and ordered up a pellet smoker...I feel like a full-on hypocrite but I need something that will allow me to get some decent sleep. So here's what I ordered : The BFG from RecTec.

https://www.rectecgrills.com/bfg-rt-2500-wood-pellet-grill/

That first video they are doing ~300Lbs of pork butt at a time. 2nd video here is the next day when the meat is ready to come off the smoker.

So I finally got my new cooker, the BFG from Rec Tec. As I stated previously I feel like a hypocrite as I've pretty aggressively bashed pellet cookers, but I have to say I'm pretty impressed with this cooker. I can cook all night long and not worry about tending a fire...feels a bit like cheating and truth be told cooking on this thing is pretty boring. All you have to do is set the temp and you can walk away all day long and not even worry about it. I've got a pork butt on right now for dinner...just putting it through its paces to make sure it's exactly what I want to use for my business.

YizMg2Z.jpg

uZ6ZSGR.jpg

So I finally got my new cooker, the BFG from Rec Tec. As I stated previously I feel like a hypocrite as I've pretty aggressively bashed pellet cookers, but I have to say I'm pretty impressed with this cooker. I can cook all night long and not worry about tending a fire...feels a bit like cheating and truth be told cooking on this thing is pretty boring. All you have to do is set the temp and you can walk away all day long and not even worry about it. I've got a pork butt on right now for dinner...just putting it through its paces to make sure it's exactly what I want to use for my business.

YizMg2Z.jpg

uZ6ZSGR.jpg

Welcome to the dark side. I told you pellet smokers rock!

Back