Social Saturday is BBQ Day V3 - How big is your meat?

What size are the smaller full packers around you?

Do you do flats often or mostly full. Looking for around 5lb flat or if I can find a small packer I might go for that.

Any tips on them. Online research is overwhelming. Foil, no foil. Inject vs no injection. Lots of options and opinions.

I go to Restaurant Depot and generally pick out the biggest ones I can find. Out here in eastern North Carolina we don't get much beef, so outside of a rare find at Walmart I'm not finding brisket very often. Sam's and Costco do small flats, probably around 4-5 Lbs, but they are fucking expensive compared to what I get at Restaurant Depot.

Usually I do full packers because I like to do burnt ends with the point muscle and then slice the flat muscle. When you're picking out briskets get one that is floppy inside the cryovac. If you pick it up and it's stiff as a board put it right back down as that's going to be difficult to tenderize. If it's nice and floppy you're already in a good starting spot as that meat is pliable.

As for tips go super simple... if you want to inject as an insurance policy for moisture go right ahead. A simple beef stock (or beef bullion) will do just fine and taste it... as long as it tastes good to you then it will be fine for an injection. Lots of people have methods of injecting with the grain of the meat but I go with and against so that I break all the different layers of the meat. It seems to work out well doing it this way. Ok, foil... I learned how to cook briskets going hot and fast and using foil after about 2 hours. Now I almost never foil unless I'm at a competition where they don't want a black bark, but instead a nice red / mahogany bark. So I wrap simply to keep the color where I want it and still allow it to cook. Foiling will speed up the cooking process but you will lose that crunchy bark.

Easiest way to do a brisket is a quick injection, rub it down, and put it on the smoker while the meat is cold. Scientifically the meat's going to absorb more smoke when it's cold, so I have no idea why people leave it on the counter for 2 hours to warm up... seems silly and counter productive. If I'm going hot and fast (325-350°) I will usually take the point to about 207-208 internal temp and the flat to about 203-205. If I'm cooking at ~275° then I will start checking the flat for tenderness at 195° and it's usually perfect between 195-200°.

Tenderness is the deciding factor and not temp. Temp is a good gauge but tenderness is what matters. I use the toothpick test where I insert a toothpick into the middle of the point (where the best slices will be) and if it's really tough and hard to insert the toothpick it's still not tender. You're looking for that toothpick to enter the meat and feel the same resistance and it would going into a jar of peanut butter.

Good luck and feel free to ask any follow up questions.

I go to Restaurant Depot and generally pick out the biggest ones I can find. Out here in eastern North Carolina we don't get much beef, so outside of a rare find at Walmart I'm not finding brisket very often. Sam's and Costco do small flats, probably around 4-5 Lbs, but they are fucking expensive compared to what I get at Restaurant Depot.

Usually I do full packers because I like to do burnt ends with the point muscle and then slice the flat muscle. When you're picking out briskets get one that is floppy inside the cryovac. If you pick it up and it's stiff as a board put it right back down as that's going to be difficult to tenderize. If it's nice and floppy you're already in a good starting spot as that meat is pliable.

As for tips go super simple... if you want to inject as an insurance policy for moisture go right ahead. A simple beef stock (or beef bullion) will do just fine and taste it... as long as it tastes good to you then it will be fine for an injection. Lots of people have methods of injecting with the grain of the meat but I go with and against so that I break all the different layers of the meat. It seems to work out well doing it this way. Ok, foil... I learned how to cook briskets going hot and fast and using foil after about 2 hours. Now I almost never foil unless I'm at a competition where they don't want a black bark, but instead a nice red / mahogany bark. So I wrap simply to keep the color where I want it and still allow it to cook. Foiling will speed up the cooking process but you will lose that crunchy bark.

Easiest way to do a brisket is a quick injection, rub it down, and put it on the smoker while the meat is cold. Scientifically the meat's going to absorb more smoke when it's cold, so I have no idea why people leave it on the counter for 2 hours to warm up... seems silly and counter productive. If I'm going hot and fast (325-350°) I will usually take the point to about 207-208 internal temp and the flat to about 203-205. If I'm cooking at ~275° then I will start checking the flat for tenderness at 195° and it's usually perfect between 195-200°.

Tenderness is the deciding factor and not temp. Temp is a good gauge but tenderness is what matters. I use the toothpick test where I insert a toothpick into the middle of the point (where the best slices will be) and if it's really tough and hard to insert the toothpick it's still not tender. You're looking for that toothpick to enter the meat and feel the same resistance and it would going into a jar of peanut butter.

Good luck and feel free to ask any follow up questions.

Thanks for the nice write up.

So I'm most likely going for a flat. 1/8" fat cap sound about right? I'm going to try my local butcher for it.

What about resting. I've read about a foil topped rest on a cutting board for 15-30, small dry cooler rest from 30 mins up to 2 hours, towel wrapped, etc.

Ok guys, I'm in a bit of a predicament and need your opinions. I've heard a ton of people talk about using a traeger grill and also people using a yonder smoker. In your opinion which is best?

Thanks for the nice write up.

So I'm most likely going for a flat. 1/8" fat cap sound about right? I'm going to try my local butcher for it.

What about resting. I've read about a foil topped rest on a cutting board for 15-30, small dry cooler rest from 30 mins up to 2 hours, towel wrapped, etc.

I'd leave more of a fat cap on myself... maybe 1/4" of an inch but that's my preference. As for resting you'll need to rest it for about an hour and you can do it however you choose. If you're ready to eat on top of a cutting board is perfect because a half hour will be do you just fine. If you need to hold it for a couple of hours then foil wrapped and then towel-wrapped inside a cooler will keep it warm for 4+ hours in a good cooler. You can be proactive and pour some boiling water into the cooler for a few minutes to warm it up (dump out the water and dry the cooler before you put the brisket in).

Ok guys, I'm in a bit of a predicament and need your opinions. I've heard a ton of people talk about using a traeger grill and also people using a yonder smoker. In your opinion which is best?

I'm guessing you're looking at pellet grills? Traeger is generally the medium area in terms of quality and Yoder is definitely on the high end just a bit lower than commercial grade. I personally fucking hate Yoder (issues with their offset cooker) but I've heard nothing but very good things about their pellet grills. Those grills will run you a hell of a lot of money...usually double what a Traeger will cost.

If you're interested in pellet grills you should check out a company called GrillaGrills. They make a good product that is priced very well.
www.grillagrills.com Both the Grilla and the Silverbac are excellent cookers.

Now that I have a balcony. I going to buy a smoker and start bbqing.

Give me recommendation for first time smoker, and a dry rub recipe.

get a weber grill and the buy a slow and sear plus attachment...

Doing my 3rd KCBS competition this weekend! Going to be a tough crowd as there are some very highly ranked teams attending, but it looks like some bad weather so I might have an advantage.

The results should be posted here at about 6pm (eastern) on Saturday, May 19. My team and business name is Smooth Boar BBQ. Last year I did this same contest and it was my first ever and I took 23rd place. Not too shabby as I showed up exceptionally unprepared and had a terrible cook. I brought too little meat and my father ate quite a few of my best ribs that I wanted to turn-in. He also decided to shadow last years champ and follow him into the turn-in line, so my food was likely on the same table as the guy who won it that year. LMAO

https://www.kcbs.us/event/7606/kings-of-q-bbq-cook-off-and-festival

Doing my 3rd KCBS competition this weekend! Going to be a tough crowd as there are some very highly ranked teams attending, but it looks like some bad weather so I might have an advantage.

The results should be posted here at about 6pm (eastern) on Saturday, May 19. My team and business name is Smooth Boar BBQ. Last year I did this same contest and it was my first ever and I took 23rd place. Not too shabby as I showed up exceptionally unprepared and had a terrible cook. I brought too little meat and my father ate quite a few of my best ribs that I wanted to turn-in. He also decided to shadow last years champ and follow him into the turn-in line, so my food was likely on the same table as the guy who won it that year. LMAO

Kick some ass man!

Kick some ass man!

Thanks buddy, I will do my best. I don't have the sauces / rubs I need so I'm substituting as best as I can. The competition was full but I found out on Monday that somebody dropped out, so I was able to take their place. Unless I wanted to pay $100+ in expedited shipping there is no way I can get my hands on the specific stuff which I normally use. So I'm going with an audible and using some new stuff, but so far I'm impressed with the flavors I've gotten on a test cook.

And holy shit... I found PRIME brisket packers out here in eastern North Carolina for the first time ever! Sam's Club failed me, again, so I took a 60 mile road trip to Costco and I was shocked when I saw they had Prime packers. They look fantastic and it's only $.10 more per Lb than what I pay for Choice at Restaurant Depot. Just unreal and I'm excited to have a bit better grade of meat (in theory at least).

Thanks buddy, I will do my best. I don't have the sauces / rubs I need so I'm substituting as best as I can. The competition was full but I found out on Monday that somebody dropped out, so I was able to take their place. Unless I wanted to pay $100+ in expedited shipping there is no way I can get my hands on the specific stuff which I normally use. So I'm going with an audible and using some new stuff, but so far I'm impressed with the flavors I've gotten on a test cook.

And holy shit... I found PRIME brisket packers out here in eastern North Carolina for the first time ever! Sam's Club failed me, again, so I took a 60 mile road trip to Costco and I was shocked when I saw they had Prime packers. They look fantastic and it's only $.10 more per Lb than what I pay for Choice at Restaurant Depot. Just unreal and I'm excited to have a bit better grade of meat (in theory at least).

How much time do they allow for the cook?

Are you going just slices? Burnt ends? Chopped?

Are you just doing brisket ?

Good luck, bud.

My smoker finally shit the bed so I had to toss it. I've been doing a ton of sous vide work lately, and it makes food taste amazing. Right now I have 4 flavors of beef back ribs going at 146 for 48 hours, pat dry, then oven for 30 mins at 400+ degrees for a crust.

A lot of people will do a brisket SV, then chill it fully, then put it on the smoker for 3 hours at 225 or so to get a ton of smoke flavor and bring it back to temp. It's so damn good that way.

How much time do they allow for the cook?

Are you going just slices? Burnt ends? Chopped?

Are you just doing brisket ?

You can cook as long as you want... meat inspection happens when you want on Friday morning or afternoon, so after that you can start cooking if you really want to. As for brisket I'm going to do slices and burnt ends, but if the burnt ends aren't perfect they won't go in the box. Chopped brisket doesn't hold moisture very well (in my experience) so no chance am I putting that in the box.

I'm doing the full KCBS competition so I'll be doing chicken, ribs, pork butt, and brisket. For chicken I am doing chicken thighs where I scrape the skin and then use that Jaccard tool to tenderize the meat and also to make small puncture holes in the skin so it will crisp up. Ribs I'm going to trim to St. Louis style cut, remove the membrane, and just make them nice and pretty. Pork butt is a whole production in terms of cutting out all the silver skin and connective tissues, and also making sure to trim out the money muscle so it stands out. When I wrap the pork butt I'll remove the money muscle and cook it separately since it usually will be finished cooking well before the rest of the pork butt.

For brisket I'm going to try it two ways. First brisket I'm going to separate the muscles and cook them completely separate from each other. The second brisket I'm going to cook it just like I do here at the house and leave it completely together. I think this way I can pick and choose as needed to get the best meat.

My smoker finally shit the bed so I had to toss it. I've been doing a ton of sous vide work lately, and it makes food taste amazing. Right now I have 4 flavors of beef back ribs going at 146 for 48 hours, pat dry, then oven for 30 mins at 400+ degrees for a crust.

A lot of people will do a brisket SV, then chill it fully, then put it on the smoker for 3 hours at 225 or so to get a ton of smoke flavor and bring it back to temp. It's so damn good that way.

Sorry to hear about your smoking dying, and furthermore the loss of your balls as well. Sous Vide... get out here with that bullshit!

Haha, no worries man, I've heard SV makes some super tender meat so whatever works man.

Get out there and BBQ/Smoke some Bologna...

161023_Smoked%20Bologna_RE_HE_M.jpg

Have I ever told you how much I hate shitty butchers? God damn... trimming up the briskets for this competition tomorrow and Friday and some asshole went absolutely hog wild on the brisket with a saw of some sort. There's about a 7" gash all the way through the point and about half way into the flat. The fat on the point was folded over to conceal the gash...son of a bitch knew he screwed up. The flat is useless in terms of getting slices for a competition.. just brutal.

Terrible!

Did I send you the pictures of Myron’s turn in boxes?

Sorry to hear about your smoking dying, and furthermore the loss of your balls as well. Sous Vide... get out here with that bullshit!

Haha, no worries man, I've heard SV makes some super tender meat so whatever works man.

It totally does. I'm doing beef back ribs right now. Depending on the temp you can always make it fall apart or have some bite. It's unbelievable and I can spend less time actually cooking. I put my ribs in on Wednesday afternoon and they will be ready Friday night without any concern of overcooking

Back