Saturated doesn't cause heart disease!

3oz of red meat, you can always eat more fish, shellfish, eggs, milk protein ....

I am very health conscious as a result of going to liver disease meetings. I could be better but I'm way ahead of the average person. Based on going to these meetings the order of priority::

1. reduce caloric intake. Excess calories is the biggest factor by far.
2. reduce red meat consumption
3. reduce saturated fat intake. Definitely eliminate (as much as possible) the highly stable fats that are used in baked goods at your grocery store. Anything that doesn't go rancid or moldy in a few days, has transfats to stabilize it.
4. sugary drinks. If you don't consume sugary drinks you don't appreciate how big of a problem this is. Substantial intake of fructose is an incredibly potent trigger of insulin resistance.
5. Processed foods -- and I'm happy to explain what that means. Just avoid anything that isn't made from a handful of easily identifiable whole ingredients.

Processed foods typically are loaded with sugars, stabilized fats, and preservatives that are bad for the gut microbiome. The thing most people do not know about is high temperature cooking.(fried food is just one example). High temperature cooking causes proteins to be glycated forming (maillard reaction) what are referred to as advanced glycated end-products.

i don't drink soda. if i want something carbonated i'll mix seltzer with a 100% juice. a small amount.

but i also heard that drinking juice isn't good because you get a huge burst of sugar in a small amount compared to if you eat fruit.

now regarding fruit - there are popular dr. gundry commercials where he is selling his vitamins. he makes the claim that fruits and vegetables of today are depleted of nutrients due to the standards of modern mass farming. any information affirming or contrary to that?

what about honey in terms of sugar?

good advice over-all.

since you have a background in the area, would you consider making a thread // kind of like a blogpost highlighting the main ( like top 10) aspects you would wish that more people would consider in focusing on health? some lesser known ideas to consider...

id enjoy reading it. i know i can just google it too

i don't drink soda. if i want something carbonated i'll mix seltzer with a 100% juice. a small amount.

but i also heard that drinking juice isn't good because you get a huge burst of sugar in a small amount compared to if you eat fruit.

now regarding fruit - there are popular dr. gundry commercials where he is selling his vitamins. he makes the claim that fruits and vegetables of today are depleted of nutrients due to the standards of modern mass farming. any information affirming or contrary to that?

what about honey in terms of sugar?

good advice over-all.

since you have a background in the area, would you consider making a thread // kind of like a blogpost highlighting the main ( like top 10) aspects you would wish that more people would consider in focusing on health? some lesser known ideas to consider...

id enjoy reading it. i know i can just google it too

Sorry I am not familiar with the nutrient content of modern fruit vs 50 yrs ago. I have nothing material to add here. Sounds like an interesting concept.

I think 10 things is too many. Most people can't handle more than 3 things. Beyond the obvious (alcohol and smoking) the top 3 items are a reduction in: calories, red meat and stabilized fats (trans and saturated).

I don't think there are too many earth shattering concepts: eat less, exercise more and drink less alcohol. The most valuable part of going to liver disease medical meeting (I've been going to the US and European meetings for 6 years now) is to see the relative agreement of numbers from different countries. There are somethings that we don't understand well, but calories, red meat, and saturated fat consequences are reported from every part of the world with a high degree of alignment. The factor that does vary globally is alcohol consumption and genetics.

The only things that might surprise most people is the negative consequences of high temperature cooking and the scale of impact of sugary drinks. In the hepatology space it's largely agreed that if they could get one wish granted it's reduction in alcohol consumption but closely followed by elimination of sugary drinks (mainly sodas).

I think everyone should YouTube a Robert Lustig (UCSF endocrinologist) lecture on the physiological effects of sugar consumption, the biochemistry and the epidemiological effects of sugar consumption.

Lol... the full text is inaccessible, so you can't really see what these people are talking about. Given the ample literature for sat fats being in fact linked to CVD, concluding that the issue is settled based on one analysis is a bit crazy. I put a request in through my school for the full text just out of curiosity.

Last edited:
Sorry I am not familiar with the nutrient content of modern fruit vs 50 yrs ago. I have nothing material to add here. Sounds like an interesting concept.

I think 10 things is too many. Most people can't handle more than 3 things. Beyond the obvious (alcohol and smoking) the top 3 items are a reduction in: calories, red meat and stabilized fats (trans and saturated).

I don't think there are too many earth shattering concepts: eat less, exercise more and drink less alcohol. The most valuable part of going to liver disease medical meeting (I've been going to the US and European meetings for 6 years now) is to see the relative agreement of numbers from different countries. There are somethings that we don't understand well, but calories, red meat, and saturated fat consequences are reported from every part of the world with a high degree of alignment. The factor that does vary globally is alcohol consumption and genetics.

The only things that might surprise most people is the negative consequences of high temperature cooking and the scale of impact of sugary drinks. In the hepatology space it's largely agreed that if they could get one wish granted it's reduction in alcohol consumption but closely followed by elimination of sugary drinks (mainly sodas).

I think everyone should YouTube a Robert Lustig (UCSF endocrinologist) lecture on the physiological effects of sugar consumption, the biochemistry and the epidemiological effects of sugar consumption.

ill check out that YT. i gotta cut out bread and sweets. I know some people who drink monster or bang every day. Even in the morning. Yuck!

Back