Satisfaction With Democracy Hits Record Lows in US and UK

Are you satisfied with the state of democracy in your home country?

• Total voters
They asked people in the UK just before the most divisive GE how they felt about democracy?

A Democrat couldn't be "in Trump's place" because Democrats have won the popular vote in ever election except one dating back to 1992.

Seriously, think about the current state of our national policies-- and try to reconcile that with the fact that it has been 31 years since a new Republican PotUS took office by winning the most votes from the citizens of America.
So you're saying we should abolish the electoral college? I'm not quite sure about that. We were doing just fine for the 8 years before Trump. We can be fine again after him.

I disagree with this. Even though it's already been established by South Park that America is 1/4th retarded, that shouldn't exclude them from voting. Intelligence shouldn't be a requisite IMO. That really is an elitist way of thinking. Sure, in a utopic society, I'd prefer everyone to be well informed and educated. But I don't like the idea restricting peoples' right to vote.

and that's cool...I don't believe my ideas are perfect.
in my version of a democratic republic, things like this would grant someone's right to vote:

1) Public service, be it a Teacher, Firefighter, Police Officer, Military.

There's three chambers...the presidency, the Senate and the House. Idiot...

Unbelievable.

Being fat is good - it's just being comfortable with who you are.
Being poor is good - your wealth was stolen.
Now being dumb is good - anyone with a mouth can be a leader...as long as they regurgitate racism, climate change, and rich people bad.

Vote Democrat 2020.

in my version of a democratic republic, things like this would grant someone's right to vote:

So retail employees, the back bone of the American economy, wouldn't be able to vote?

It's not "democracy" they are upset with, but the opposite. Those in power will frame it THIS way, however.

How about the US where we haven't had a "democratically elected" Republican PotUS since 1988, and yet they manage to have a 5-4 majority on the Supreme Court??

This is why the wording of the question is so confusing.

Because, as an American, I'm not dissatisfied with democracy. I am dissatisfied with the thwarting of democracy.

Like, if I had an ongoing issue with my toilet clogging and someone asked me if I was satisfied with indoor plumbing I wouldn't say "no". Because "indoor plumbing" wouldn't be the problem.

That wasnt a joke
<1>

Dont get me wrong, we currently are enslaved, but we have the illusion of freedom at the very least.

Your idea would be blatant slavery and people would actually understand what is going on.

That's one of the dumbest ideas I've ever seen. "Only let the government class vote on their own power and size of their retirements."

Pretty sure the opposite would be more beneficial. Those people don't produce wealth and think their great benefits and big retirements appear out of thin air..

Fire-fighters? Well the ones that hadn't fought more than one small fire in 5 years out in the burbs would vote for more fire stations to replace those useless factories, and for more hours for themselves, of course.

Teachers always side with police and prosecutor types and are pro-big government slappies who would vote to start their wages at 70k a year, of course. They already enjoy too high of a status, imo.

Police Officers? You know who would tell you including them is stupid? Police Officers. They know. They shill for their own rights and money through their union, but for sure they would turn around wide-eyed at you saying they deserve to have more voting rights than non-cops.. It would probably scare them, knowing what they are all really like a lot of the time. They aren't stupid.

Military is trained to want war. That's a disaster. They would vote for war. Disaster.

Getting the best jobs with the best benefits aren't "service" anymore, bro.. They are "I can't believe I avoided picking up misdemeanors for the crap I did, and now my buddy is getting me in and I'm finally above the law and a handler of people, instead of being handled." YOU DON'T GIVE THE HANDLERS MORE POWER WHEN THEY ALREADY HAVE TOO MUCH.

That's one of the dumbest ideas I've ever seen. "Only let the government class vote on their own power and size of their retirements."

Pretty sure the opposite would be more beneficial. Those people don't produce wealth and think their great benefits and big retirements appear out of thin air..

Fire-fighters? Well the ones that hadn't fought more than one small fire in 5 years out in the burbs would vote for more fire stations to replace those useless factories, and for more hours for themselves, of course.

Teachers always side with police and prosecutor types and are pro-big government slappies who would vote to start their wages at 70k a year, of course. They already enjoy too high of a status, imo.

Police Officers? You know who would tell you including them is stupid? Police Officers. They know. They shill for their own rights and money through their union, but for sure they would turn around wide-eyed at you saying they deserve to have more voting rights than non-cops.. It would probably scare them, knowing what they are all really like a lot of the time. They aren't stupid.

Military is trained to want war. That's a disaster. They would vote for war. Disaster.

Getting the best jobs with the best benefits aren't "service" anymore, bro.. They are "I can't believe I avoided picking up misdemeanors for the crap I did, and now my buddy is getting me in and I'm finally above the law and a handler of people, instead of being handled." YOU DON'T GIVE THE HANDLERS MORE POWER WHEN THEY ALREADY HAVE TOO MUCH.

got it, so you disagree with me.

and that's cool. cheers.

That wasnt a joke
<1>

Dont get me wrong, we currently are enslaved, but we have the illusion of freedom at the very least.

Your idea would be blatant slavery and people would actually understand what is going on.

oh you weren't joking? ok then. I guess your definition of slavery is different from mine.

A Democrat couldn't be "in Trump's place" because Democrats have won the popular vote in every PotUS election except one dating back to 1992.

Seriously, think about the current state of our national policies-- and try to reconcile that with the fact that it has been 31 years since a new Republican PotUS took office by winning the most votes from the citizens of America.
You should contact your representative and senators about getting rid of the EC. Be the change you want to see.

There's three chambers...the presidency, the Senate and the House. Idiot...

I don't think people normally call the White House a chamber, but she clearly wasn't talking about branches here (we don't elect to the scotus). She's talking about the lower and upper chambers of congress and the presidency.

oh you weren't joking? ok then. I guess your definition of slavery is different from mine.
From Blacks Law Dictionary:

What is SLAVERY?
The condition of a slave; that civil relation in which one man has absolute power over the life, fortune, and liberty of another.

Yes, because we’re not a democracy.

And thank god for that, the majority of people are painfully stupid.

You should contact your representative and senators about getting rid of the EC. Be the change you want to see.

Thanks for reminding me:

The only way we can change the system that gives some states disproportionate power is by getting a super-majority-- not just a majority, but a super-majority-- of those states to agree to give up their disproportionate power.

Double Democracy ktfo

I'm not surprised it's gone down. People have been voting for populist leaders and feel good rhetoric. Then reality sets in and the rhetoric always falls short of the reality so they feel let down by democracy itself because they won't blame themselves for unrealistic expectations.

Thanks for reminding me:

The only way we can change the system that gives some states disproportionate power is by getting a super-majority-- not just a majority, but a super-majority-- of those states to agree to give up their disproportionate power.

Double Democracy ktfo
You have the power. Be the change you want to see.

Politicians only care about their career and money. Every single one of them. They don't give a crap about the greater good.

Too much influence on the system. Too much money involved, too much lobbying.

I have zero faith in the system.

Back