Sasha Baron Cohen no longer laughing. Roy Moore's case against him proceeds

In his Ali G days nearly everything was harmless and not malicious. I think painting pictures of people as Pedo and racists through editing, misleading and cutting is a different issue. I can't stand Moore but I don't want to see a world where people set up and dupe people left and right.

Who was duped? Did a single person in the world actually believe that was a real pedophile wand?

You woukd think Moore would just want this story to go away and not bring attention back to his perveyness. Also.. Baron Cohen doesnt give af. Years ago he was being sued by everyone. Im sure this is like riding a bicycle for him lol

You woukd think Moore would just want this story to go away and not bring attention back to his perveyness. Also.. Baron Cohen doesnt give af. Years ago he was being sued by everyone. Im sure this is like riding a bicycle for him lol
Oh he's probably laughing his ass off

In his Ali G days nearly everything was harmless and not malicious. I think painting pictures of people as Pedo and racists through editing, misleading and cutting is a different issue. I can't stand Moore but I don't want to see a world where people set up and dupe people left and right.
What misleading editing? Is the source material available that paints a different picture than what actually happened?

Meh, SBC has great ideas, but all his movies were mediocre. His best stuff was the initial Ali G Show. Who is America had some funny stuff and some shocking stuff, but was largely boring.

there's one where he plays the role of an ex con, who found his inner artist while locked up in solitary. making art by smearing shit.

that wasn't even the disturbing part. the high end art dealer he was pitching his shit to (literally & figuratively) seemed to be into it & came off as super creepy. he said he used pubes or something to make a brush, & she offered to donate hers, where she turned her back & pinched a bunch out to give him.

even Cohen was visibly thrown off if you look close enough. the whole thing was absolutely absurd. but hilarious & creepy.
Ah, man. I knew this thread was going to prematurely run me out of likes. LOL

Watch the video again. SBC clearly stated the wand was malfunctioning and he was "not" calling Roy Moore a sex offender.

Roy explicitly lied in that clip when he said there was never a accusation against him. That is simply not true. He had at least 9 accusations of sexual assault and sexual harassment made against him at the time of the video.

Also, for slander to be punishable it needs to be determined that the subject had "a good reputation" to damage.

Gonna be difficult in Roys case.

This is a slam-dunk case where Roy gets public humiliation again with a dismissal or a 1-dollar award.
Yep, he also signed a waiver dismissing all claims arising from the segment.

Roy Moore's lawyer also got a 90 day professional suspension of his law license for ethics violations in another case.

wZWADNy.gif

Didn’t he recently show up a white supremacy rally?

You're operating on a false premise though, because slander does not fall under free speech. If you don't like your neighbor, you can't just spread lies about them being a pedophile to the neighborhood. You can't call his employer and claim he's the Zodiac killer.

As for if you would be liable for a slander lawsuit in your Clinton example, it would all depend if they took action or not. He'd probably at the very least have a case, especially if he decides that your claims have caused him personal damages.

Free speech does have it's limits, and slander is one of them.
Its a bit laughable to claim SBC is slandering him though. For one slander against public figures is very hard to prove because the law gives more leeway for commentary on them. Second its not like SBC made up these accusation whole cloth, Moore has been publicly accused by multiple women of trying to date them when they were underage. It'd be like saying that any accusation of Biden being creepy is slander.

Its a bit laughable to claim SBC is slandering him though. For one slander against public figures is very hard to prove because the law gives more leeway for commentary on them. Second its not like SBC made up these accusation whole cloth, Moore has been publicly accused by multiple women of trying to date them when they were underage. It'd be like saying that any accusation of Biden being creepy is slander.

LOL. The judge disagrees with you. Hence the reason the case is proceeding.

Reality 1
Mod 0

Like I said, I'm not exactly sure what will come of this. He might have an argument, and whatever you may think about Moore, he hasn't ever been formerly charged with anything, so asserting that he is a pedophile would still technically be slander. That said, I don't know if this will cross any lines.

I was more responding to Hadron claiming that you can say anything about anyone, because of free speech. That is incorrect.

LOL. The judge disagrees with you. Hence the reason the case is proceeding.

Reality 1
Mod 0
The case is moving forward but that doesn't mean Moore has won. I suspect he loses due to two reasons that I mentioned, him being a public figure and the fact that at least nine women publicly accused him of inappropriate behavior. We'll see what happens but don't count your chickens before they hatch.

Like I said, I'm not exactly sure what will come of this. He might have an argument, and whatever you may think about Moore, he hasn't ever been formerly charged with anything, so asserting that he is a pedophile would still technically be slander. That said, I don't know if this will cross any lines.

I was more responding to Hadron claiming that you can say anything about anyone, because of free speech. That is incorrect.
I doubt @Hadron90 is unaware of slander as a limit to free speech, I just think that he, like myself, thinks this case falls well within the bounds of acceptable free speech. For one its comedy so its not meant to portray information neutrally, second Moore is a public figure so the standard for slander is far higher in cases involving public figures, third Moore has already been accused multiple times publicly of the kind of behavior being implied here.

Biden has never been formerly charged either, should people calling him a creep or child molester be open to slander lawsuits?

Last edited:
Biden has never been formerly charged either, should people calling him a creep or child molester be pen to slander lawsuits?

Again, it depends on if Biden took action. No, he's got going to sue millions of random people on the net, but if he took issue with an individual for spreading it(or a company, or whatever) and felt it has caused him personal damages, he could very well sue them. I don't know what makes you think he couldn't. It more comes down to how much action Biden would take. It would definitely be grounds for slander. Not for calling him "creepy", but for asserting that he is actually a child molester, yeah, he would have a case.

Again, it depends on if Biden took action. No, he's got going to sue millions of random people on the net, but if he took issue with an individual for spreading it(or a company, or whatever) and felt it has caused him personal damages, he could very well sue them. I don't know what makes you think he couldn't. It more comes down to how much action Biden would take. It would definitely be grounds for slander. Not for calling him "creepy", but for asserting that he is actually a child molester, yeah, he would have a case.
He could try but as a public figure who has been publicly accused of inappropriate behavior it'd be an uphill climb.

If something like SBC's skit is considered slander I'd see that as an encroachment on free speech. Cases like these are useful though, they separate the free speech hypocrites from those who actually believe in it. OP being a hypocrite and people like Hadron being among the consistent free speech defenders.

Back