Sara McMann

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by MurrDawg, Aug 8, 2015.

1. MurrDawg

MurrDawg Green Belt

I've been a fan of hers and at one point thought she had what it takes to possibly give Ronda some trouble. Even after the loss I thought she could do it but after watching her bouts since then it has become very obvious that others are getting better and she's staying the same or decreasing. I'd love to see her join Faber and the group at Team AM or get into a solid camp that will improve her overall game. Her home camp did well to get her there but now she needs to take it to the next level and really go for it and join a top team otherwise it's gonna be over quickly for her. Thoughts?

2. cambo78

cambo78 Silver Belt

She will always be one of the fish in Ronda's pond no matter where she goes.

3. JsinLegacy

JsinLegacy Brown Belt

I agree... I think she needs to venture to another camp and learn some more. She needs a better gym to train with.. I don't think she goes much further without doing so.

4. scorpipede

scorpipede you do yo thang Baby Smurf

she could be more an athlete than fighter. Maybe she just simply doesn't have what it takes to hurt and be hurt for a living.

5. Skydome

Skydome Banned Banned

She's a Phil Nurse prodigree, for sure. Much flash but little substance.

6. SnitchInsider

SnitchInsider Brown Belt

Yeah, I would agree that it seems the biggest problem with McMann right now is there hasn't been clear improvement fight to fight. She came into MMA at basically the same time Ronda did, with her own Olympic base, but her growth has been much, much slower.

It's a shame because I do really believe she has at least the tools to beat Rousey. I still think Rousey will have a very hard time taking her down, and she has enough power to threaten Rousey on the feet. Rousey isn't exactly Joanna on the feet and if it turns into a clinch/brawl that stays standing it may be the best shot at dethroning Rousey.

7. L0ki

L0ki Silver Belt

She needs to make the gym move.

Staying and training with local hometown boys is cool and all, but if she wants to get at that belt again, she needs to move camp.

If her boys are really down, they would not only support her, but tell her this.

8. MurrDawg

MurrDawg Green Belt

Great base just needs a better striking game to set up her takedowns. She's built like a tank and with better coaching that gets her game to evolve she could easily turn it around.

9. Ironheart

Ironheart Green Belt

I've been saying for a while that these little "home camps" that some higher level fighters still train with are part of the reason that the gulf of talent between Ronda and the rest of the girls in her class continues to grow. Ronda has the money now to have a camp wherever she wants, whenever she wants, with whoever she wants. Garage/hometown gyms have a very limited ceiling as far as what they offer a top level fighter. Now that she's comfortably ahead of the pack, it's going to be easier for her to stay there as a result.

That said, I agree. McMann could continue to develop, but she's going to need to make some major changes in her life to do so.

10. JsinLegacy

JsinLegacy Brown Belt

She should go train with Ronda and Edmond honestly

11. BROWNPRIDE

BROWNPRIDE Red Belt

She is overrated

12. Malthian

Malthian Purple Belt

McMann suffers local gym syndrome.

She's been with RevolutionMMA (SC) since the beginning, but she's the best fighter at that gym. Her trainers aren't really known, and there aren't really any other top ranked fighters in the gym to push her.

We've seen it happen a bunch of times with fighters. They start with a gym, reach a plateau, and they want to stay loyal. Sometimes it works out but often it doesn't because you can't replace the advantages that the top flight MMA gyms give you in terms of the quality of experience and quality of training partners.

If McMann wants to elevate her game, she needs to seriously consider a more permanent move to a high level gym. Taking occasional road trips to work out with the guys at Tristar isn't going to be enough to compete with the women spending time at KingsMMA, ATT, Blackzillians, etc... not when her competition are getting the benefit of coaches and trainers who've helped dozens to hundreds of high level MMA pro's and training partners who fight at the most elite levels of the game.

13. SnitchInsider

SnitchInsider Brown Belt

Yup, this is a good point. Not that Rousey didn't work to get where she is, but now that she's there there is definitely a snowball effect that her wealth will continue to create for her. Maybe somewhat balanced by the fact that she's got a lot of other obligations (movies, etc), but still a pretty significant advantage. Training costs money. Coaches cost money. Money alleviates stress. There's a lot at play for these women than just showing up on fight night.

14. CrashStitches

CrashStitches Please Cha Cha Cha Banned

She's getting older every year, as do we all. She's also 34 now. SHe may still possibly be elite, but she has to rebound fast and get back in the hunt, before a new, better wave of girls comes up. As someone stated above, WMMA is a very young sport, and girls are improving fight-to-fight, and the Ronda boom will bring in more youngsters in the next couple years.

15. DGT4NOW

DGT4NOW Red Belt Platinum Member

it is pretty known that she doesn't like to do a damn thing to promote herself or a fight, has there been reports that she is lax in training as well?
    Not insinuating, but asking.

16. BASSER911414

BASSER911414 Orange Belt

Her last three, shes looked unspectacular. Maybe the Ronda loss changed her.

17. Bones245n4847

Bones245n4847 Red Belt

I'd like to see her try to lose muscle and go down to 115. She is having a hell of a time taking down 135 pound girls and she's an olympic medalist. She can't be any more than 5'5 from the looks of it. She's heavily muscled but she's undersized in the weight class.

18. DGT4NOW

DGT4NOW Red Belt Platinum Member

IDK, from what I can see, I think once things don't go her way she can't do anything about it

In the Tate fight she came out great & after she couldn't get Tate finished in the middle of the second, Tate took over

19. ineverpost

ineverpost Black Belt

She suffers from Lesnar syndrome. Obviously reacts very badly to getting hit. She is also one dimensional. Looks lost on tge ground unless she has dominant position. Big right hand and obviously can wrestle, but she can't mix it up. Look at Yoel. He looks great now because he's put it all together, but he had shaky moments in the beginning and was even getting taken down.

20. MilesAbove

MilesAbove Gold Belt

She hardly made weight at 135lbs. I guess everyone should cut 15% more of their mass every time they lose. You hear that Machida!? Time for you to move to 170lbs! Her strength is her strength. If she cuts to 115lbs by dropping off the muscle wtf does she have to give?