Sandee 16oz Boxing Gloves Review

Taskmaster99

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
What up all.

TM99 with another review here. Now from what I have gathered from the forums...these gloves are either gonna be a love or hate.

As the title states.....these are the Sandee 16oz gloves purchased from MMA Joes. Now I have heard of Sandee before but couldn't locate a place to buy them to try them here in the states at a reasonable price. Enter MMA Joes. I found these on the site for 30 bucks(which they still are). At that price....I could afford to take a chance on these.

As with all my MMA Joes orders....everything arrived super quick. I remember it being about 2 to 3 days. Once I got home and saw the UPS box on my doorstep, I rushed inside and tore it open. The faint smell of leather caught my attention. They had arrived!!!

Lets take a looksie:

Construction
----------------
These gloves are all leather. Pretty well done with no wrinkles or blemishes. Leather feels fairly thick. The stitching is very well done. No loose threads or crooked lines from some guy sneezing while stitching(a reference Strat made in one his reviews...lol). The palm is leather and has 5 vent hole in a cross pattern. The thumb is attached with a small piece of leather. The liner is your typical satin type. Fairly well done. A little excess but not enough to gripe. The wrist strap is leather with the Sandee label stitched on. The velcro is very strong. This glove has a nice grip bar. The only negative(very minor at that) is slight cracking of the Sandee logo on the shell. And I do mean slight. You really have to get your eyes close to see it. Will it wear off? Oh Im sure. But after some good use...the cracking hasn't gotten any worse.

Weight
---------
These are labeled as a 16oz and came in at 16.2 for both gloves

Fit
----
I used these with both 180" and 200" wraps. Snug fit but no where near Top King snug. The glove allows for ample finger room and the thumb in my opinion is very comfy.

Padding
-----------
Not as pillowy as my Twins. I compare these to my Boon padding. Good amount in the knuckle area but not a lot on the back of the hand like Twins.

Performance
---------------
These gloves were a bit stiff at first. Easy to make a fist but not as easy to open the palm. I compare them to my Windy TG-5's when they were brand new. The wrist support is spot on as it is with many thai gloves. No flop,good protection when going all out on the bag. The padding on the bag protects very well and makes a pretty damn good pop. After quite a few rounds.... the padding softened up a little more and the stiffness went away. Needless to say....I can now open the palm with ease. I only used these fro hitting the heavy bag,thai pads and mitts so I have no sparring experience with these. The 5 vent holes are okay....but the glove does get a bit steamy after awhile. The liner itself dried very quickly without the use of glove dogs. The gloves were very easy to air out being that the wrist stayed wide open in a circular form. No collapsing...which Im sure helped out the drying process a lot.

Conclusion
--------------
I like these gloves!!! I have heard a lot of people say they are crap. Ive heard a lot of people say they are good. So far I am with the latter. That all could change in the future if these go to shit quickly, but for right now I give them a passing grade. I think for the 30 dollar price here in the good ol U.S. of A is a freakin steal for these gloves.

I will use these more as time goes on and will post updates as I see fit. Check these out at MMA Joes. In fact check out all the Sandee gear they have right now at rock bottom prices.

Thanks all for taking the time to read this. I have posted pics below. Comments always welcomed and appreciated.

For those who don't like to read(@ClampXVII)

+Leather quality
+Wrist support
+Stitching/Construction
+/- Price (Good if you buy from MMA Joes/Not so good if you have to import)
+/- Logo's (Good on the wrist/So-So on the shell)
+Liner dries quickly
+No wrist flop
- Kinda hot. Needs more vent holes

Here are the pics:

Thanks again all. Don't let your meat loaf:)

Last edited:
Good review

There's more to wrist support than whether or not there's a flop. I would say that the problem with most traditional type Thai gloves is that although the cuff is stiff, there's actually very little or no padding there, which is the case with Sandee gloves, and that this makes the wrist support quite poor.

Also worth noting that like with nearly all Thai gloves, if you have very long fingers you won't be able to form a fist properly in these gloves.

Last edited:
@Minowafanatic

I know you have used Sandee. Any experience with thier shinguards? I have a set of Windy's right now that I hate. Was thinking of trying a pair of these for the low MMA Joes price of 30 bucks.

@Minowafanatic

I know you have used Sandee. Any experience with thier shinguards? I have a set of Windy's right now that I hate. Was thinking of trying a pair of these for the low MMA Joes price of 30 bucks.

Sorry dude, I only box. Don't think you can go wrong for $30 though.

Nice review man!! For people living in USA, looks like a must have for the price mmajoes is asking!
Damn you international shipping!!!

Thanks for the review, definetly considering a pair but with shipping I would also need to get some other things to make it worthwhile. Also havent your reviewed the Venum challengers in the past? How would you say these compared? As the venums are only $25 right now

Last edited:
Thanks for the review. I am seriously debating getting these to pass along at the gym, or maybe keep myself.

Good review man, Thanks for the comparison photos.

Just ordered a pair of the shins for 30 bucks. Had to search hell and high water for a size chart. Its crazy how in some brands I go Large and others are Medium. Then you have Regular etc. Why the hell can't it be the same across the board...lol.

Nice review. I wonder if Boon took the white oval out of their new logo so it wouldn't look like all the other Thai brands. :D Your pic made me realize how many have white ovals in their logo.

Nice review. I wonder if Boon took the white oval out of their new logo so it wouldn't look like all the other Thai brands. :D Your pic made me realize how many have white ovals in their logo.

Must be a thai thing....lol.

they might have taken the oval out because the logos were crumbling and falling off or just plain old peeling off. i bought a new pair of boons (returned them because they didn't fit) but the logo looked like it was done in a completely different manner than my last pair of boons.

they might have taken the oval out because the logos were crumbling and falling off or just plain old peeling off. i bought a new pair of boons (returned them because they didn't fit) but the logo looked like it was done in a completely different manner than my last pair of boons.

Yeah, i was sort of half joking about the white oval. But I've also noticed that having the brand name in a bow tie style (smaller letters in the center, larger on the ends) is very common, especially among the Thai and Mexican brands. I got bored and made the picture below. Also, Classics, Leone, and Grant use a half bow-tie style (I'm not a graphic designer, so i don't know the technical term for this shape word art).

BoxingLogos.jpg

I think the term is vector, I didn't realize everyone was using it :)

Yeah, i was sort of half joking about the white oval. But I've also noticed that having the brand name in a bow tie style (smaller letters in the center, larger on the ends) is very common, especially among the Thai and Mexican brands. I got bored and made the picture below. Also, Classics, Leone, and Grant use a half bow-tie style (I'm not a graphic designer, so i don't know the technical term for this shape word art).

BoxingLogos.jpg

I see more brands I have to try.

TM99 I have the older style of Sandee shin guards love them light but decent padding

I never heard of this "ever last" brand, sounds ike it will last forever, I need to check them out.

Back