sanda?

R

Rustam

ever heard of sanda? a style (or a combatsport) that combines kicks, punches and wrestling..
seems to be good for mma..
any?

Rustam said:
ever heard of sanda? a style (or a combatsport) that combines kicks, punches and wrestling..
seems to be good for mma..
any?

A.K.A. San Shou. There's a lot about it. It's definitely a legit art. Some people here will flame it, calling it watered down Muay Thai. I think it's a really cool art. It's just difficult to find gyms for it.

Sanda or San Shou has some really good techniques. Since there's no ground game involved, all the grappling comes in the form of takedowns. I've seen some really good slams and takedowns in san shou competition, especially the scissor kick.

there have been a lot of good threads about sanda/sanshou, so you might be able to get some good info if you do a search here.

I think it's a cool art, but the takedown/throw defense in the 3 vids I've seen (this being one) doesn't seem up to par. I only saw three times in this vid where the guy who got the lesser position at the initiation of a clinch properly shot his hips out, maintained balance, and avoided being thrown.

Also, in the words of Marc Laimon, "Nah, no more of that Judo head toss stuff. That stuff don't work."

But, I do see a lot of potential for some creative new styles flourishing in this art, then being translated into MMA success. For example, these guys remind me a lot of Karo's unique style. Before Karo got into MMA, a lot of guys said it wouldn't work.

I'm always excited to see what "doesn't work" pull off some MMA success next.

Madmick said:
I think it's a cool art, but the takedown/throw defense in the 3 vids I've seen (this being one) doesn't seem up to par. I only saw three times in this vid where the guy who got the lesser position at the initiation of a clinch properly shot his hips out, maintained balance, and avoided being thrown.

Also, in the words of Marc Laimon, "Nah, no more of that Judo head toss stuff. That stuff don't work."

But, I do see a lot of potential for some creative new styles flourishing in this art, then being translated into MMA success. For example, these guys remind me a lot of Karo's unique style. Before Karo got into MMA, a lot of guys said it wouldn't work.

I'm always excited to see what "doesn't work" pull off some MMA success next.

It might seem that way because once the knees touch the ground, one fighter is considered "down". This is why you will not see many sprawls.

a guy at my gym was telling that there is currently a sanda (san shou) vs Muay Thai competition going on in the U.S. this month and so far san da is up by 13 wins to 4 losses. Although, I have no idea where this competition is taking place....he said it was san shou rules.

its a pretty good art. Some Chinese guys practicing sanda competed in a local MMA event here and won

There is a sanda class in my city actually, I have been to it a few times... Once I get more time from my life I am def. going to look into it more. What I got out of it is the blocks are totally different than what I was use to (TKD for 3 years) sanda uses a lot more parries rather than blocking. Also the instructor has a lot of backround in many different styles so he has intrigated the ground aspect to sanda as well.

I was watching the second Rampage-Silva fight and noticed that Rampage's first successful takedown in the fight was a San Shou style, head takedown. I'm sure he doesn't train San Shou but it's a San Shou technique working in a top of the line MMA fight... something to think about.

Back