Opinion San Fran just can't seem to help itself...

Teppodama

A Dude, playing a Dude, disquised as another Dude
@Silver
Reaction score
https://abc7news.com/amp/sfusd-renaming-schools-board-meeting-san-francisco-school-sf/10229093/

ARE ACRONYMS A SYMPTOM OF 'WHITE SUPREMACY CULTURE?' SFUSD MAKES ANOTHER DISPUTABLE DECISION
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- First the San Francisco School Board decided to rename 44 schools because they are named after people with ties to racism or slavery. Now the Arts Department has taken a bold move by changing its name, "VAPA" because they say, "acronyms are a symptom of white supremacy culture."

Schools have yet to reopen in San Francisco, but their Arts Department has continued to work toward ensuring that all students have access to quality arts education.

The director of that department said, "We are prioritizing antiracist arts instruction in our work." So they got rid of the acronym "VAPA," which is short for visual and performing arts.

From now on, they'll simply be called SFUSD Arts Department.

"It is a very simple step we can take to just be referred to as the SFUSD Arts Department for families to better understand who we are," explained Sam Bass, Director of the SFUSD Arts Department.

In a letter, he explains that acronyms are a symptom of white supremacy culture.

"The use of so many acronyms within the educational field often tends to alienate those who may not speak English to understand the acronym," he added.

That's based on a 1999 paper written by author Tema Okun titled "White Supremacy Culture." Okun told me that, "Our culture perpetuates racism when things continue to be written down in a certain way."

But the San Francisco Unified School District uses so many acronyms on a daily basis that if you go to their website there's a section on how to find what their acronyms or abbreviations mean.

When we asked Mayor London Breed for her opinion, she was confused and thought we were asking her about the issue of renaming schools.

"We definitely need to have a robust conversation about what we need to do but not a rushed conversation," said Mayor Breed.

So does that mean that the acronym SOTA which stands for School of the Arts should now be called the Ruth Asawa School, period?

"In the same sprit of getting rid of acronyms I do believe in calling it Ruth Asawa," suggested Bass.

The school district told me there is no official policy or effort underway related to acronyms district wide.

Hmmm let's see, questionable school name changes, Bernie's privilege mittens, spirit murders, lunatic educators and the never ending supply of sidewalk feces. SF is certainly shaping up as a bastion of progressive enlightenment.

Acronyms? I have never...and I mean ever used any acronym on this forum.

giphy.gif

I don't think anyone ever said there aren't wacky people on the left or presumed left.

The director of the Arts dept. says they are trying to not cause confusion with people who are not fluent English speakers, because some acronyms are not self explanatory, which for a non English speaker would be an issue.

I don't see how this is "racist" , it's just a native or fluent English speaker vs. non English speaker issue. Seems like the same concept as providing government forms in multiple languages to better serve a diverse community.

This is basically a symptom of the type of coddling the school system has been enabling.
Essentially we have reached a point where the majority of people in charge are mentally ill

Pretty sure words themselves are gonna be racist soon enough. The reading level of third world immigrants isn't that high, so best just knock out that white supremacist colonizer communication tool of the devil.

This is basically a symptom of the type of coddling the school system has been enabling.
Essentially we have reached a point where the majority of people in charge are mentally ill
That’s how my group of friends describe this. We are dealing with mentally ill people. They are sick. They will not get better. Things will get worse.

Next they are going to go yell at all the Great White Sharks in the bay and make them change their names too.

Reactions: THC
Next they are going to go yell at all the Great White Sharks in the bay and make them change their names too.

There's a meme out there about why black whales are called "killer", and white sharks are called "great", but I swear it was taken from some Liberal professor's research papers on "Critical Aquatic Race Theory".

I don't think anyone ever said there aren't wacky people on the left or presumed left.

The director of the Arts dept. says they are trying to not cause confusion with people who are not fluent English speakers, because some acronyms are not self explanatory, which for a non English speaker would be an issue.

I don't see how this is "racist" , it's just a native or fluent English speaker vs. non English speaker issue. Seems like the same concept as providing government forms in multiple languages to better serve a diverse community.
She also said acronyms are a symptom of white supremacy. The director of the art board of the SF school district... isn't the new health secretary a cis gendered queer?

Having whack jobs on your team is ok. I'm sure many people on this forum have been a part of many different kinds of teams, with lots of whack jobs being a part of those teams. What's not ok is to put these clearly unstable whack jobs into influential positions on the team.

Back