San Diego

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by jericksen5, Jan 19, 2015.

1. jericksen5

jericksen5 Black Belt

I have a friend that just moved to San Diego last month. I am planning on visiting him sometime this year for a few days. He's not really going to be able to show me around, since he's pretty new there too and had just been working non stop since he got there.

What are cool places to visit in and around the area? I am going to rent a car so getting around shouldn't be an issue. Interested in any cool matte or historical sites, or anything unique to the city. Not interested in visiting 5 star restaurants, but if there is a can't miss local good joint id like to know about that as well.

Also, when is the best time of year to go? From both a weather and cost standpoint?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  2. Bukowski82

Bukowski82 Buckle up belt

You're going to love it, Dude.

First, stay away from Coronado and anything sound of Downtown San Diego... Stay Downtown near the Gaslamp District if possible. See the sights during the day; I'd recommend Old Town and definitely the Beaches. Pacific Beach is the place to go. Check out La Haina (Sp?) that's practically right on the sand. But later on, hit Moondoggies and the PB Bar and Grill, among other awesome places. Looking for some great food, hit Taco Surf and get the California Burrito. Can't beat it. When night hits, Pacific Beach is also a great spot. But you'll want to focus your nightlife on the Gaslamp District. Honestly, you will never see a better nightlife scene not named New York or Los Angeles. It's incredible... Dress nice and enjoy yourself.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  3. Popmaster501

Popmaster501 Green Belt

Aww what Coronado is beautiful! the view from the bridge is pretty awesome and the beach there is nice. But like what bukowski said Pacific Beach is definitely the beach spot in SD though. And Old Town is very cool with many nice eateries and some neat stores there. Makes me wish I was back in SD back in National City.

4. Bukowski82

Coronado is beautiful. But unless you're staying at the Del, living there or happen to be going through the worlds most difficult military training, there's really nothing to see.

You miss National City? Let me take a completely wild guess.... You were in the Navy?

5. Popmaster501

Popmaster501 Green Belt

No. But my mom is. I grew up in National City and being half filipino, it was kind of the place to live in SD.

6. Bukowski82

Big ups to your Mother... She's a hero.

But I'm not sure when last time you've been to National City was. It's gross now.

Gentrification, Buddy.

7. Popmaster501

Popmaster501 Green Belt

Hmm that sounds disappointing. As long as the filipino bakeries and restaurants are still there I'd feel content with going back.

8. Ring Shark98

Ring Shark98 Black Belt

I've been there a couple of times in the past 1.5 years for vacationing. Freakin love it there!

Stayed right at the Westin Gaslamp the first time there. +1 for that area, it's a blast at night time!

When me and the wife went, we stayed oceanside at Mission Beach. Fun, quaint little area. Reasonably close to everything.

If you have to pick between the Zoo and the Safari Park, choose the Safari Park and go on the tour. It is actually really cool (although it is a reasonable distance outside the city).

La Pointe (sp?) was also really cool, great views from up there.

If you stay in the Gaslamp district, be sure to wander around Seaport village for a bit. It's pretty cool.

Also, if you enjoy sushi, hit up Nobu San Diego in the Gaslamp District (it is near the baseball park). World renowned sushi/sashimi.

9. Bukowski82

Best advice in this thread so far...

10. SwamiLeoni

SwamiLeoni Silver Belt

If you're into things like museums & exhibits then I would put Balboa Park on a must see for a day map. It's a really awesome place, even to just walk around.

Both the SD Zoo & Wild Animal Park are amazing attractions.

North Park & Normal Heights Night Life are both very fun as is Gaslamp, Old Town & Little Italy.

PB has a cool beach city feel but it's filled with college idiots and in my personal opinion (been living in SD for 32 years) it's actually starting to look really run down. The college kids just destroyed it.

Best Italian & Chop Houses in SD is located in Little Italy, great Seafood in Point Loma.

I'm originally from N. County, but as a tourist I'd suggest staying out of there as it's very spread apart and isn't as rich in history. Although, Carlsbad beach is one of the top beaches in SD. If you're picking a time to come, I'd go towards the middle of Beach Season & avoid August and September as those are our hottest months.

I'd also suggest coming down during Baseball Season as PetcoPark is a blast.

11. lakersfan45

lakersfan45 That's sardo! No mr, accent on the do!

Checkout cafe 222 for great breakfast and extraordinary dessert for some good dessert. Check out the local papers (is there an SD weekly?) for events going on during ur stay. San Diego has a ton of great venues hosting all sorts of concerts/shows so u should do a quick check

12. SwamiLeoni

SwamiLeoni Silver Belt

The UT (Union Tribune) usually posts a top 10 things to do list every weekend that's fun to check out. The San Diego Reader is also another great outlet to find things to do and places to grub.

13. ThinkGreen

ThinkGreen Der √úbermensch

I'd disagree with the poster saying to go to Moondoggies and PB Bar and Grill. That's like douchebag central here in SD. I guess if that's your thing though...

14. lakersfan45

lakersfan45 That's sardo! No mr, accent on the do!

I just noticed ur from Chicago. If this is a one time trip to SoCal or uve never been then I suggest going to the OC for a day or maybe two. It's only an hour drive. You could spend one day at Disneyland and another at Laguna beach and Newport beach.

If you go to Disneyland i could give u a million tips

15. dadams

dadams Blue Belt

La Jolla is nice too. Been there and loved it.

16. Cajun

Cajun A Cajun Traveler: Something of a Novelty... Platinum Member

Solid advice. San Diego is a great town.

17. HARRISON_3

HARRISON_3 Gold Belt

Only been there once, but it was an amazing city. Definitely wanna go back.

18. Cajun

Cajun A Cajun Traveler: Something of a Novelty... Platinum Member

Always said if I could live anywhere in the states... it would be La Jolla.

19. Revolver

Revolver you sound poor Staff Member Senior Moderator

Nobu is great. Love that place.

20. Razor

Razor Silver Belt

I'm going, this week, next month, or in March for vacation, fun in the sun!

[​IMG]