Samurai Vs Shaolin monk... who takes it?

i'm pretty sure shaolin master killer i don't think i've ever seen any samurai with master killer in the name they don't give that title out to chumps

also shaolin dolemite is more badass than black samurai

rza, gza, ol dirty bastard, and ghostface killa agree with you. you just entered the 36 chambers. i bet the monk does a front flip off his forehead then spin kicks the samurai and knocks him out.

whoever attacks the groin first i say.

cutting a dudes balls off would definitely end a fight

Samurai's used Atemi Jiu-Jitsu and my uncle is a Nidan in it and I can say that it's pretty effective. The throws are vicious and the control you get from the wrist locks are insane and the reversals (as with most Jiu-Jitsu) you barely see coming.

ahahahahahh! i mean... the samurai sword is swift, quick, sleek, and powerful. deadly combination there. and the simplicity of the movements that a samurai has.... makes it even more deadly.

From a historical perspective the Katana was not all that remarkable on the battle field. It's reputation was made in duels. In both Europe and Asia, the spear was considered the biggest threat on the battlefield. and if you want to go to actual kills, it would be mercy dagger or the Asian equivalent that racks up the most kills.

Historical, chinese monks, were not all that flashy. The shaolin systems developed from military and criminal martial artist that were given sanctuary at the temples. There are good military records of successful defenses of the temples by monks. Unfortunately, gun powder and hype caused alot of death in the boxer rebellion, same can be said for the samurai.

I read somewhere that samurais with swords were actually the simple foot soldiers, i.e. the cheap ones. The real cool ones were the mounted archers.
Don't know if it's true though.

That was true, at the start of the Samurai. It originally meant something like landed farmer and you were expected to defend you land. After a while war became a full time occupation and the Solider became important and the Samurai was the best of the soldiers.

By the end of the Edo period, I think, they had becomes something like lesser nobility.

thats where the "not so much" comes into play.

Not quite. There were quite a few documented occasions where the monks went to battle in ancient china.

Granted perhaps not as much as the samurai but enough to say the monks werent just mere peaceful circus preformers rather they had noteable warriors among their sects thus making your analogy a bit nonsensical.

Is this the next episode of Deadliest Warrior?

I was thinking the EXACT same thing, I've seen the Shaolin vs Samoan, there's a new series now, I wonder if he's pulled it off there?

I'll break it down in another way.
If it were a battle 500 vs 500 I think the Samurai would finish it off with minimal casualties. Reason being is they train for battle's, they have armour, they have the katana(or what ever it is called) and are scary as hell. I don't care how much you meditate they are going to intimidate you more then Mike Tyson would.

But unarmed one on one I see the Shaolin monk winning. Reason being is Samurai's don't train much un armed combat and what little ju jitsu they had wouldn't be enough.

In an open space 1 vs 1 with full armour and weapons of their choice I have to again take the Samurai.

If circus tricks win fights than by all means put your
money on the monk.

hmm the only thing a Samurai is good with is the sword and also Monks as peaceful you may potray them but they train day and night to the point they can kick concrete and actually break it or a fist without hurting themselves it seems to me people favor the Japanese nowadays due to the Japanese cartoons or the cool armor Japanese carry to the sword and Monks can even make their skin as if though it was iron by controlling this thing called "CHI" (however you spell chi) and this martial arts are still practiced to this day now the Samurai runs the advantage when using Katanas as both parties using Katanas but in reality Monks have a higher chance of winning when it comes to physical combat or other weaponry and even though Monks can be skilled at Katanas its probably the one weapon they may not beat the Japanese with but also if we are talking about warfare the only reason why the Japanese would win would be of numbers cause not many can be shaolin monks while the samurais can just recruit to have more numbers while Monks are more specific on who they may recruit also a Japanese can handle max of people by themselves up to six or more while a shaolin can handle up to 20 or more without getting tired

Last edited:
Only slightly on topic, but here is Ip man (wing chun kung fu) vs. 10 karate black belts

Just for awesomeness purposes. Great movie scene

Fight starts at +/- 3.27

Many of the monks were originally an assortment of criminals who were either running from teh law or went into priest hood (...)
Probably not intentional but "teh law" and "priest hood" in one sentence made me LOL.

Also, TS, are you 10?
<{gspressed}>

More shits and giggles for you peeps. ;)

lol, thats such a poorly researched video. I really like Game Theory but damn if he didn't drop the ball here.
That's why I said it's for shits and giggles. :p
Here's someone giving a rebuttal / correction:

Also, mods, please move this to Mayberry. :)

Who takes it?

Hulk

vs

Superman

????

Come on, MMA Sherdoggers contemplating historical TMA is like kids contemplating quantum physics!

LOL!

Back