Samsung smart tv can spy on you

..............all smart devices including plug into socket type electronics can all spy on you, you would have to be electronic free to not be spied on or no energy outlets in your house prepare for the return of the caveman days.

Great post. Some say they listen to your conversation since 1998 using mobile phone. It's crazy to think that they can record your conversation without internet connection. There must be hidden internet like connection used by governments.

Check this out from USA Today.

The National Security Agency isn't the only government entity secretly collecting data from people's cellphones. Local police are increasingly scooping it up, too.

The records, from more than 125 police agencies in 33 states, reveal:

• About one in four law-enforcement agencies have used a tactic known as a "tower dump," which gives police data about the identity, activity and location of any phone that connects to the targeted cellphone towers over a set span of time, usually an hour or two. A typical dump covers multiple towers, and wireless providers, and can net information from thousands of phones.

• At least 25 police departments own a Stingray, a suitcase-size device that costs as much as $400,000 and acts as a fake cell tower. The system, typically installed in a vehicle so it can be moved into any neighborhood, tricks all nearby phones into connecting to it and feeding data to police. In some states, the devices are available to any local police department via state surveillance units. The federal government funds most of the purchases, via anti-terror grants.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/12/08/cellphone-data-spying-nsa-police/3902809/

I would guess the topic is the broader problem of big brother style surveillance from corporations, fusion centers, and government entities. The smart TV is the tip of the iceberg.
Eh, I think it's just an unfortunate side effect of this particular feature. I don't look at this case as a very big deal or that they're using anything in a nefarious way. The fact that it can be turned off and that they're warning consumers about this steers my thinking that way.

I think that there are other things to be concerned about in terms of data collecting and surveillance but this isn't one of them, to me at least.

I recently bought a runners watch and the corresponding app I wanted to download to my phone to track my stats required access to all sorts of unnecessary info. They wanted access to my phone (charges may apply!?); phone log; media files; calendar; etc. While there could be some reasonable reasons, there's a lot of room for abuses. Our world is getting smaller and scarier.

That's why I always unplug the ethernet when I'm not Netflix'n.

I would guess the topic is the broader problem of big brother style surveillance from corporations, fusion centers, and government entities. The smart TV is the tip of the iceberg.

Could be . . . but with the smart TV you would likely have the option to turn the voice recognition part off. Doing that is a great first step if you're concerned about your privacy.

k3xkj5.jpg

Being able to watch netflix directly on the TV is worth being spied on, imo.

You want to hear me fart and my gf and I having conversation with our dogs then go ahead.

Could be . . . but with the smart TV you would likely have the option to turn the voice recognition part off. Doing that is a great first step if you're concerned about your privacy.

I prefer to just not own devices like that. If a company thinks they can get away with recording people in their homes then I stop giving that company money. It is the only recourse.

In an attempt to satisfy my curiosity shout being spied on by my Samsung, I pulled a Yoko Ono song off of you tube and played it next to the Samsung for 3 days non stop. On the fourth morning, my doorbell rings a bunch of times, followed by someone banging on the door. It was 2 people I have never seen before, all they said is "Jesus effing Christ, just stop already". Then walked off.

The Samsung thing is real, I think. But just to be sure I am going to play a loop of one of the "crimson jihad" parts from true lies mixed with the rape scene from irreversible.

pandora's box cannot be closed. all hail the hive mind

Soon it will be every device you own including the toaster. Microsoft claims they won't use kinect to spy on people. Gee thanks Microsoft.

You close a laptop when you're not using it. Your phone faces the inside of a pocket, a purse, or lies flat on a table. But the Microsoft Kinect, a camera that will come connected to every new Xbox One game console, gets a perfect view of your living room. It's always listening for voice commands, even when you turn the Xbox off. It can even read your heartbeat with the right software.

"We aren't using Kinect to snoop on anybody at all."

Microsoft says it doesn't plan to abuse that power, and claims it couldn't even if it tried. The company told us that the Kinect's cameras and microphones aren't actually recording or transmitting any audio or video data back to Microsoft's servers without the user's explicit consent, and all ambiently collected data is anonymized. While some voice commands are processed at Microsoft’s servers, they’re converted to text before they ever leave the machine, and biometric data is translated into numerical values that simply indicate, say, where a player’s limbs are during online multiplayer games. While Microsoft says the Kinect is an "integral part" of the new Xbox, it also claims that sensing can be paused.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/16/4526770/will-the-nsa-use-the-xbox-one-to-spy-on-your-family

th

The FBI practically owns Skype.

The FBI is in the process of launching a new surveillance unit to help the bureau snoop on conversations that take place on Skype and other wireless communications, CNET reports. The new unit has a very unassuming name: the Domestic Communications Assistance Center.

CNET parsed through government documents and interviewed people familiar with the project. Here's what the publication has learned so far:

"DCAC's mandate is broad, covering everything from trying to intercept and decode Skype conversations to building custom wiretap hardware or analyzing the gigabytes of data that a wireless provider or social network might turn over in response to a court order. It's also designed to serve as a kind of surveillance help desk for state, local, and other federal police."

CNET reports that the idea behind the new unit has been floating around for about four years, and it's intended to serve as "the technological component of the bureau's 'Going Dark' Internet wiretapping push, which was allocated $54 million by a Senate committee last month."

http://www.businessinsider.com/fbi-unit-wants-to-spy-on-skype-conversations-2012-5

I just got home and realized thta my smart TV is a Samsung.
Still, Netflix > Privacy and shit.

Huge if true. They are really making it hard to be a criminal now a days . All this spying bullshit.

I just got home and realized thta my smart TV is a Samsung.
Still, Netflix > Privacy and shit.
It's only a few models of it that are affected. It has to have a camera and built in microphone.

I have a Sony Bravia, looking to get a 4K LG this summer..

But yeah, I remember when I used to listen to one radio station and theorist would call in...but yeah, this was one of the predictions made...and this was like 10 years ago

You know what the bigger issue is, and I may have to start a thread about it?

All of the current new TVs use that super advanced frame ratio shit, that makes even the biggest epic movies look like a live news cast or a soap opera. I effing HATE that shit, it actually looks like a documentary about the FILMING of a big movie, and at some point I expect to hear "CUT", or some narrative about the scene, DURING the scene. It looks shitty, I can't get used to it, and I am keeping one of my old 50" plasma TVs JUST for that reason. The day that plasma dies I will be on Craigslist or some shit, trying to buy another older plasma or LCD.

I was watching gladiator, and it looked like "the making of gladiator".

All of the current new TVs use that super advanced frame ratio shit, that makes even the biggest epic movies look like a live news cast or a soap opera. I effing HATE that shit, it actually looks like a documentary about the FILMING of a big movie, and at some point I expect to hear "CUT", or some narrative about the scene, DURING the scene. It looks shitty, I can't get used to it, and I am keeping one of my old 50" plasma TVs JUST for that reason. The day that plasma dies I will be on Craigslist or some shit, trying to buy another older plasma or LCD.

True. It erases the magic of the movie. You could see many details and mistakes. It sucks. Old school snuff movies felt real on vhs. Now on HD it looks like high school project. That is why I still use my philips lcd. I even have my sony trinitron. It feels totally different.

This is remedied pretty easily by messing with the settings.

Back