Samsung smart tv can spy on you

hasar

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
http://theweek.com/speedreads/53837...-discuss-personal-information-front-smart-tvs

Samsung has confirmed that its "smart TV" sets are listening to customers' every word, and the company is warning customers not to speak about personal information while near the TV sets.

The company revealed that the voice activation feature on its smart TVs will capture all nearby conversations. The TV sets can share the information, including sensitive data, with Samsung as well as third-party services.

The news comes after Shane Harris at The Daily Beast pointed out a troubling line in Samsung's privacy policy: "Please be aware that if your spoken words include personal or other sensitive information, that information will be among the data captured and transmitted to a third party."

Does it fwap to me? I would.

I wonder if there is a way to screw with this feature and make the information useless by purposefully feeding it misleading info. Info rigged from another device, perhaps

if its just listening and not watching then that sound you're hearing is that of one hand clapping....and not what you think it is

In Soviet Russia, tv watches YOU.

Why would someone spend hundreds of dollars for a device to spy on them in their own living room?

Why would someone spend hundreds of dollars for a device to spy on them in their own living room?
Yes, I'm sure that's exactly why people are buying tvs. To be spied on by them.

Haven't you noticed? There is a rather large number of people now that think its the government and corporations job to spy on you. You know, for your own good. I wouldn't own a smart TV but pretty soon its not going to matter because the toaster is going to listen to you, the refrigerator, all of it. I thought when Snowden revealed the extent of the Big Brother surveillance state that Americans would lose their shit. I was incredibly dismayed to find out 10's of millions of us are literally too mentally challenged to understand the implications.

Now everything you do is monitored. That cell phone you carry is a GPS unit that monitors your every move, everywhere you go. Those neat little reward cards that grocery stores and everyone else gives out monitor all your purchases. Same thing with the banks who know everything you do with your money unless you use cash. All your e-mail, phone calls, texts, search history, all recorded for posterity and filed away. The insurance companies know when and where you purchase alcohol, cigarettes, or even fucking ice cream. Law enforcement is now using biometrics and advanced computing to know where you may be in the city and identify you or to pick people out of a crowd that might be agitated or acting strangely.

I have no idea where this road goes but its unbelievable how many folks could care less that they are tracked the way a rancher tracks his cattle.

Haven't you noticed? There is a rather large number of people now that think its the government and corporations job to spy on you. You know, for your own good. I wouldn't own a smart TV but pretty soon its not going to matter because the toaster is going to listen to you, the refrigerator, all of it. I thought when Snowden revealed the extent of the Big Brother surveillance state that Americans would lose their shit. I was incredibly dismayed to find out 10's of millions of us are literally too mentally challenged to understand the implications.

Now everything you do is monitored. That cell phone you carry is a GPS unit that monitors your every move, everywhere you go. Those neat little reward cards that grocery stores and everyone else gives out monitor all your purchases. Same thing with the banks who know everything you do with your money unless you use cash. All your e-mail, phone calls, texts, search history, all recorded for posterity and filed away. The insurance companies know when and where you purchase alcohol, cigarettes, or even fucking ice cream. Law enforcement is now using biometrics and advanced computing to know where you may be in the city and identify you or to pick people out of a crowd that might be agitated or acting strangely.

I have no idea where this road goes but its unbelievable how many folks could care less that they are tracked the way a rancher tracks his cattle.
You can turn it off, so there's always that option.

What the fuck is the point of producing something that does shit like that?

I know the simple answer is for advertising being catered to you or 'convenience', but seriously, there should be a fucking line here.

What the fuck is the point of producing something that does shit like that?

I know the simple answer is for advertising being catered to you or 'convenience', but seriously, there should be a fucking line here.

There is no fucking line anymore.

Take a look at this. The original story is from the WSJ but you have to subscribe but I found bits of the article on another site. You can't so much as buy a 6 pack of beer that your insurance company doesn't know about. This is why I started using cash for 90% of my purchases is because I realized there is not one single thing you do that is not monitored and noted.

Your employer already has access to personal medical information such as how often you get check ups and whether you’re taking prescription mediation through your insurance carrier, but now some companies are beginning to monitor where you shop and what you eat.

Some key quotes from the article:

“…But companies also have started scrutinizing employees’ other behavior more discreetly. Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina recently began buying spending data on more than 3 million people in its employer group plans. If someone, say, purchases plus-size clothing, the health plan could flag him for potential obesity—and then call or send mailings offering weight-loss solutions.”

“Some critics worry that the methods cross the line between protective and invasive—and could lead to job discrimination. ‘It’s a slippery-slope deal,’ says Dr. Deborah Peel, founder of Patient Privacy Rights, which advocates for medical-data confidentiality. She worries employers could conceivably make other conclusions about people who load up the cart with butter and sugar.”

“Analytics firms and health insurers say they obey medical-privacy regulations, and employers never see the staff’s personal health profiles but only an aggregate picture of their health needs and expected costs. And if the targeted approach feels too intrusive, employees can ask to be placed on the wellness program’s do-not-call list.”

https://patientprivacyrights.org/20...ws-you-just-stocked-up-on-ice-cream-and-beer/

Just thought of this.. so now, we have to pay attention to what kind of tv is in any establishment we go to because even if you don't go out of your way to buy one, some asshole or joint could and you now have to make sure you're no where near a fucking tv if you want to have a private convo because you know, it might be HAL you're standing right next to.

lmao

No, the Smart TV feature. The topic of discussion itt.

I would guess the topic is the broader problem of big brother style surveillance from corporations, fusion centers, and government entities. The smart TV is the tip of the iceberg.

Great post. Some say they listen to your conversation since 1998 using mobile phone. It's crazy to think that they can record your conversation without internet connection. There must be hidden internet like connection used by governments.

Back