1. Sherdog will be undergoing additional maintenance in a few hours, lasting until 6am EST. The site may experience some technical difficulties during this time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Same day weigh ins

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by SaintSoldier, May 17, 2014.

1. stosh

stosh Brown Belt

or they can just keep doing what they've been doing successfully without the headaches of implementing a bunch of new shit.

2. zzzdom

zzzdom sleepyhead

Fans always talking about stuff that has nothing to do with them.

When fighters start complaining about this as being an issue then we can start talking about it too. Until then how about you guys stop making new threads about this subject that is brought up almost every single day.

Just so you know, no one is forcing anyone to cut any weight at all, all of them can pick their weight class. But it's human nature to always look for any advantage they can find and try to exploit it.

There are fighters out there that don't cut that much weight and they are still successful at their weight class, but at the same time you have huge weight cutters and they are probably never getting even close to a title shot.

At the end of the day it's a personal choice all of the fighters have and it's up to them to chose what is best for them. So please stop moaning about stuff that doesn't really concern any of us and get back to your job which is to sit on your couch and drink that beer with a bowl of chips on your beer belly.

3. Donald Keys

Donald Keys Blue Belt

The better fighter usually wins, regardless of a possible 5-10 lb weight difference on fight night. This is just some false injustice that whiny fans get indignent about, thinking it actually has some big bearing on fights. It really doesn't.

4. tntkid

tntkid Brown Belt

I am all for same day weigh ins.

Weight cutting is bullshit.

5. Patof

Patof Brown Belt

I'd like to see the fighters get weighed again right before entering the cage or earlier in the dressing room, nothing official that would affect the fight, but rather just to satisfy our curiosity on who puts on the most weight in 1 day.

6. Sherkfan1

Sherkfan1 Blue Belt

Yes, let's do it. Here is the progression.

Step 1 - Fighter still cuts weight.

Step 2 - Fighter dies in the cage due to dehydration causing a lack of fluid protecting his brain.

Step 3 - State athletic commission/government officials retake the opinion of "human **** fighting".

Step 4 - State no longer sanctions MMA bouts.

Step 5 - Domino effect.

Step 6 No more MMA, no more weight cutters..... YAY! Problem solved.

Rather than complaining about an aspect of ALL combat sports, do some research and understand the science behind it. Weight cutting is annoying I agree but your idea would with all certainty, get someone killed in the ring. If you are truly a fan of the sport, don't come back with the "they knew the risk" argument. No one would care that the fighter knowingly put himself in danger, they would only see the dead body in the center of the octagon.

7. RiverCity

RiverCity Green Belt

Non-problems do not require solutions.

8. Ryan Phillipe

Ryan Phillipe Blue Belt

Who cares about how they do weigh ins its fair either weigh if they do 24 hour weigh ins or same day, it's the same for both fighters no one is getting any advantage. I prefer 24 hour weigh ins, it adds more to the event and it allows both fighters to be at their optimal best when they enter the cage.

9. jban

jban Black Belt

I am all for same day weigh-ins. The one fight that changed my mind about that was when i saw Rumble Johnson (now at LHW) knock the crap out of Charlie Brenneman (now a LW) in a 170 pound fight back in 2011. It was like they were two weight classes apart fighting at 170. Same day weigh-ins will force fighters to fight close to their natural weight. I am all for that. Seeing a 225-230 pound man in Tito beat down a natural WW last night further convinced me that same day weigh-ins are the way to go.

10. bat_country

bat_country Red Belt

Exactly.
    People seem to forget that if a fighter misses weight the other fighter can decline the fight or place stipulations in order for the fight to happen.
    Best example of this was Vitor/Rumble where Rumble missed weight and in order for Vitor to accept the fight Rumble had to weigh in again under 205 on the day of the fight.

11. ryun253

ryun253 Black Belt

same day weigh ins.... would be fairrrrr,,,, because fighters wont be able to cut redicccc amount of weight

12. Tekk

Tekk Brown Belt

Don't people realize that other than a handful of guys everybody would just move up a class?

13. bat_country

bat_country Red Belt

Pretty much this. Though some LHWs would be fucked at HW.

14. Almighty One

Almighty One Brown Belt

yup

15. sb413197

sb413197 Red Belt

I'd rather they weight in IMMEDIATELY before the fight. I can't think anybody is going to fight dehydrated with no time to rehydrate, that would be all kinds of crazy. Everyone should plan to weigh a few pounds less than the limit. Like everyone is saying too the weight classes would be shifted - the current 125s would be the new 145 division etc etc. It would probably bother fans less too because 125 sounds so light (even though none of them are ACTUALLY 125 - I think mighty mouse cuts from 140+ etc). It would get rid of a silly part of the sport.

If they were given a few hours, however, I think it would just be detrimental. Everyone would still try to cut weight and it would be a big mess.

16. NoBiasJustMMA

NoBiasJustMMA Steel Belt

This, there is nothing wrong with the current system. Why put the fighter's long term health at risk because you don't like that some fighters cut more weight than others TS?

It's not like it's always an advantage, look at Dan Henderson and Anthony Johnson both of those guys fight better when cutting less weight, same with Frankie Edgar who still doesn't even cut much to make 145. Everyone can cut as much or as little weight as possible, it's up to the fighter to figure out where they best perform, I don't want to see guys fighting while dehydrated and get major brain damage.

17. SocraticMethod

SocraticMethod Kingmaker

The two big reasons against I see are: (1) you risk having fights cancelled right before they're scheduled to go on; and (2) the UFC would fight such a rule change because the weigh ins are now big business.

18. Shaddows

Shaddows Steel Belt

1) the risk is the same as the day before. (no time to find a replacement).
    2) This should not be up to the UFC. (conflict of interests)

But as I noted:
    IMO Weight ins should be done the day before, same as today.
    A second weight in should happen before the fighter enters the cage.

If they gain more than 5-10% of their weight, they should pay a penalty. Simple as that.

19. bat_country

bat_country Red Belt

I'll ask the same question I always do.
    What do you do when someone in the main event misses weight after the PPV has already started (and your customers have bought it) and suddenly you have no main event?

Yes the main event could still be cancelled on day before weigh ins, but your customers would have the chance to opt out of buying your PPV with the new main event whereas that option doesn't exist in the "weigh in just before the fight" idea.

20. Repairman1988

Repairman1988 Blue Belt

Lol the biggest argument against it is that fighters will be idiotic/unprofressional and cut weight anyways; putting themselves in danger. I think that's called natural selection guys. I do care for their health but no one is forcing them to cut weight if you do same day weigh ins. Please come up with a decent argument. It's their personal responsibility to follow the rules.