Same day weigh ins

I agree with it.
I just dunno how exactly you would do it though.
I'm pretty sure with boxing you have to weigh in like a week before to make sure ur not loosing too much weight too quickly.
At the end of the day, this thread has been done hundreds of times, the rules won't change.

no one fights dehydrated...thats asking to gas out in 2min and KTFO right after

I think the better solution is to send a commission member to the gym with a scale and a piss container for that test. Make them weigh no more than 10% over their weight class or get fined.

Doesn't risk canceling the fight, and stops giant cutters while still allowing tradition of the sport to remain

Are you talking about walking around weight or fighting weight? 10% is a lot when you are talking about 10% for LHW being 20.5 lbs. Hell even the LW guys would allowed to be 15 lbs.

Anyways...Don't some BJJ tournaments have weigh in's minutes before the matches? I think it would be hard for most fighters to maintain the fight weight though. This would end up having LHW fighters weighing in the 190's to be safe. I guess that is the point though right?

You get your cup and mouth piece checked and then you weigh in. You don't make weight you don't fight and you lose 100% of your purse. People wouldn't be missing weight. You also keep up with their weight in between fights and have a percentage of weight you are allowed to cut which basically tells you what division you fight in. Wouldn't have as much health risk for extreme cutting.

That is a lot of babysitting and following up. What is wrong with it the way it is now? Why do we need to go to such extremes to make sure guys are exactly the same size? Are smaller guys really at that much of a disadvantage? Are there any stats to show that the bigger guy wins more than the smaller guy in the same weight class? Didn't we learn anything from the undersized Frankie Edgar holding his own with the bigger Gray Maynard?

I think it's fine how it is and I don't see why people are so up in arms about changing it.

Because fighters will still cut weight to fight below their walking around weight. Same day weigh-ins would mean they're fighting dehydrated and at greater risk for brain injury.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Flawed logic. Thats like saying we should let a recovering coke addict use meth because he would just find some other way to get high anyway. After a dehydrated fighter gets his ass kicked by a properly hydrated guy at natural weight, they will learn they better move up to where they belong

what happens if a guys says fuck it and takes the fine? Does his opponent have a chance to back out of the fight 2 minutes before it happens?

that "guy" will fight, win/ lose, then get cut

then nobody else would be that "guy"

Because fighters will still cut weight to fight below their walking around weight. Same day weigh-ins would mean they're fighting dehydrated and at greater risk for brain injury.

If they do this than they deserve the consequences. It's not like they don't know the risks

Makes perfect sense. You have the people step on the scales as they walk into the cage and they have to wait till the other fighter is in the corner then they have 1 minute to freshen up before the fight starts leaving them on equal footing. Sure some fighters will miss weight and lose money, sure some will over cut and fight poorly, but it won't be long until they have it honed down to a science and those will be rare because it just takes time to get used to. As for it being more dangerous that doesn't make much sense. Extreme weight cutting is dangerous and has had people die of it. Weight cutting over people's lives is brutal and ages people significatly. Heck the fighters would grow to love it because weight cutting is one of the worst parts about fighting. This is so much safer because they leave to balance their weigh instead of dehydrating.
I wouldn't be up for testing the fighters weight well at camp, that would just cause them to hold their fighting weight up for a longer period because they want to be allowed to cut more.

Honestly, I'm fine with it the way it is.

Agreed.

Same day weigh-ins is fine as well, but none of this "then you re-weigh-in, and if you weigh more than the weight class by this percentage I take your money"... shoot, if thats the point, just make them weigh-in right before they fight... but yr going to have a certain percentage of fights get cancelled possibly.

2vufxiu.jpg

Weigh ins the day before as usual, second weigh in the day of the fight 30 mins prior to your fight but this time you are not to weigh more than the next weight class above you (i.e.: 170 division can't be heavier than 185 division) or for LHW 215 limit.
It's not a big change but you would stop a lot of the huge weight discrepancies!

We need a sticky for this topic. Just about everyday someone thinks it is a good idea

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Flawed logic. Thats like saying we should let a recovering coke addict use meth because he would just find some other way to get high anyway. After a dehydrated fighter gets his ass kicked by a properly hydrated guy at natural weight, they will learn they better move up to where they belong

Or they die like Duk Koo Kim did in boxing (because of same day weigh ins) and the UFC is ruined

Same day weigh ins will never happen. It didn't work in boxing and it wont work in MMA

Thus far no one has given good reasons why not. I've seen quite a few, "oh this again"

For such a simple solution don't you wounder why its not done in boxing or MMA? Fighters would still cut to try gain an advantage and it could lead to serious brain injury's or death. Duk Koo Kim boxed dehydrated trying to make weight and died because of that. Can you imagine what would happen to the UFC if a fighter died?

You can't penalize fighters for Re hydrating. you want a death in there?

That's the point. If you really want to fight far below your walking weight then you must undergo the risk of fighting at a disadvantage.

This, instead we have forced weight cutting because everyone else is doing it, and putting your body and brain through that 24 hours before a fight is silly.

For such a simple solution don't you wounder why its not done in boxing or MMA? Fighters would still cut to try gain an advantage and it could lead to serious brain injury's or death. Duk Koo Kim boxed dehydrated trying to make weight and died because of that. Can you imagine what would happen to the UFC if a fighter died?

Can't you just have a doctor check each fighter for dehydration while they get their hands wrapped? If they are dehydrated, they are sent packing.

Fighters weigh in while walking to the fight. If they miss weight 100% of there purse goes to the other fighter.

Boom done. No more weight cutting, no more missing weight.

Rightttt so weigh in right before the fight so you have guys make weight but end up half dead looking like james irvin did and expect then to perform? Then fine them 100% of their purse if they missed weight and expect them to still fight? First off no sanctioning body or organization in the states would be able to get away with it, this isnt the hunger games

that "guy" will fight, win/ lose, then get cut

then nobody else would be that "guy"

I'm talking about the opponent of the fighter that misses weight right before the fight. Does he have the option to pull out because his opponent broke the agreement and came in over weight? Or is he forced to fight a larger man than he bargained for?

Back