Same day weigh ins

SaintSoldier

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
1. Weigh-in happens 3 - 4 hours before the prelims
2. Fighters get a few hours to re-hydrate a few pounds if necessary
3. Weigh in again right before the fight
4. Any fighter that weights over 5% of the weight limit gets fined 10% of their purse for every pound over (e.g. a WW can't go over 178.5 lbs)

Enough of this 24 hour re-hydration bullshit; weight classes exist for a reason.

Come at me, Sherdog.

Last edited:
What's the argument against this? I've always wondered that too.

I agree with this. You really want to piss off Sherdog, have them weigh-in official before they step in the cage.

What's the argument against this? I've always wondered that too.

Because fighters will still cut weight to fight below their walking around weight. Same day weigh-ins would mean they're fighting dehydrated and at greater risk for brain injury.

what happens if a guys says fuck it and takes the fine? Does his opponent have a chance to back out of the fight 2 minutes before it happens?

Fighters weigh in while walking to the fight. If they miss weight 100% of there purse goes to the other fighter.

Boom done. No more weight cutting, no more missing weight.

Because fighters will still cut weight to fight below their walking around weight. Same day weigh-ins would mean they're fighting dehydrated and at greater risk for brain injury.

Er. Personal responsibility?

That's the point. If you really want to fight far below your walking weight then you must undergo the risk of fighting at a disadvantage.

It's called personal responsibility. If they fight thirsty, they will lose, and learn their lesson.

I'm in favor of same day weigh-ins. It would stop all this ridiculous weight cutting a lot of fighters do. There's no reason to weigh 180-190 and fight at lightweight.

1. Weigh-in happens 3 - 4 hours before the prelims
2. Fighters get a few hours to re-hydrate a few pounds if necessary
3. Weigh in again right before the fight
4. Any fighter that weights over 5% of the weight limit gets fined 10% of their purse for every pound over (e.g. a WW can't go over 178.5 lbs)

Enough of this 24 hour re-hydration bullshit; weight classes exist for a reason.

Come at me, Sherdog.

you contradict yourself.

If your rules 3 and #4 is in effect, I'd rather see 1st weight in the day before.
After all, they can't gain more weight than 5% of the weight limit, that would already make sure they can't "cheat".

The whole "gaining pounds equals money" doesn't make too much sense ppl gain and lose weight differently, I think its too inconsistent and fighters would just play the system and gain weight directly after the "second" weigh in. Also same day weigh ins just means fighters could pass out and not fight as well cause they will still cut weight.

That's the point. If you really want to fight far below your walking weight then you must undergo the risk of fighting at a disadvantage.

That is fine for you to say. You can say that if they they get seriously injured or worse, that is the risk they take by cutting for a same day weigh in. But no promotion or sanctioning body is going to want to have something bad happen on their watch as a result of morons cutting to much weight right before a fight. It's already dangerous enough as it is for some guys with a day to rehydrate.

I think the better solution is to send a commission member to the gym with a scale and a piss container for that test. Make them weigh no more than 10% over their weight class or get fined.

Doesn't risk canceling the fight, and stops giant cutters while still allowing tradition of the sport to remain

Or have them just weigh in before they fight, like before they step in the cage. Then guys won't be able to cut wieght, and if they did they'd be stupid.

You get your cup and mouth piece checked and then you weigh in. You don't make weight you don't fight and you lose 100% of your purse. People wouldn't be missing weight. You also keep up with their weight in between fights and have a percentage of weight you are allowed to cut which basically tells you what division you fight in. Wouldn't have as much health risk for extreme cutting.

Back