Same day weigh ins would fix the weight cutting problem

Thats some communist shit imo. Monitored the whole damn week lol. Would piss me off so bad when trying to focus on the fight. That said i never really cut weight. Used to eat up before fights to get in the weight range lol
communist shit > health

I mean would that piss you off to take one minute of your day to fucking step on a scale for a second? it's not like USADA knocking on your door 6 am in the morning...

They should step on a scale outside the cage before they enter, and no water until after the first round

Every pound over is 10% to your opponent with a maximum of 80%

Opponent has the option of refusing to fight if you're more than 5 pounds over

Miss weight twice and you're banned from fighting at that weight class. Third strike at any weight class and you're fired

communist shit > health

I mean would that piss you off to take one minute of your day to fucking step on a scale for a second? it's not like USADA knocking on your door 6 am in the morning...
Yes it would piss me off being monitored like a child. You clearly never fought or trained or even been around people that does or else you wouldnt be making this thread lol. Just stop bro. Your idea is shit and im not trying to be an asshole but u wont stop this bs lol

These "solutions" are always hilarious. Make weight cutting even riskier, then fighters won't do it! Because fighters are so risk averse.

<36>
TS is making a fool of himself but just wont let it go. Same day weigh ins don't work. They have been done before and they were way more dangerous

It’s fine as it is

just limit how much they can gain back

It would be a huge mess. Fights getting cancelled, fighters exploiting it and willing to give up 20% etc. Make it 75% and then you might have something.

In muay thai its often normal to have the weigh ins the morning of the fight and it doesnt work. People still cut like crazy. 12 year oldss with sweatsuits running up and down the road in the sun etc. Not eating. Its a good idea until put in practice
their mistake, they will lose so many fights and they will stop this

Nothing will stop fighters from trying to gain every little advantage possible. It's like saying "If the UFC just hires USADA it will end PED usage"

Or even have them weight right before going into the cage. If you want to drain all the water out of yourself then go for it.

Great idea. But 170 disolves into 165 and 175

What do you think about this idea? I know it's been talked about before but we should finally do something about it.

Here is my example:

Weight classes would remain as they are: 125, 135, 145, 155, 170, 185, 205, 265. I know that 125 would disappear in that case but isn't that what most of us want anyway?

Every fighter has to choose their new weight class according to their walk around weight.

Conor walks around at 175 so he WW would be ideal for him. Fighters and their weight will be monitored throughout the whole week. Fighter will be weighed in 30 minutes before the fight. If you miss the contracted weight then the fight will be off or you forfeit 20% of your purse to your opponent for every pound you miss. How would fighters cheat this system? If both fighters have to weigh exact the same amount or less before entering the cage then what is the point of dieting or weight cutting? You can cut weight but you just don't have time to rehydrate because the fight is only minutes away. I know that system would cause last minute cancelling of fights but I would sacrifice that to fighters health and fighters fighting more often. Stack the cards more and losing one fight would not hurt as much.

Wow, what an original thought. Same day weigh ins you say? Incredible! Alert the commissions of your findings at once!

Ugh. This has been talked about and argued forever now. NO, you're not going to fix weight cutting problems with same day weigh ins.

You can make the weigh ins 10 seconds before a fight and fighters will still cut weight for it.

What is the point of cutting weight if the fight is called off if you weigh in heavier than your opponent?

The solution is, simply don't give people time to rehydrate. If both come in rehydrated then none of them gets an advantage.
So you want to "fix" weightcutting by making it more dangerous than it is now? Reality is, you need complex measures to actually fix weightcutting. Simply weighing people on the day of the fight would only make things worse, because fighters would just fight dehydrated and then we would get our first death in the UFC. Implementing specific gravity hydration tests alone is not going to fix the problem, because people can "easily" cheat the test and collegiate wrestlers have been doing so for a while now.

The only way I see to fix weightcutting is to use a two-fold approach:
1. Your hydration level is tested literally minutes before the fight with absolute supervision, i.e. the supervisors watch you pee and then immediately confiscate the sample to prevent contamination/dilution.
2. You are immediately weighed and if you pass both the specific gravity and weight criteria, you are allowed to go and fight minutes later.

Problem with this approach is: imagine how hard would it be to actually test fighters minutes before the fight, it would be a nightmare for everyone involved.

This fixes nothing. The only solution to weight cutting is open weight, like in UFC 1.

Just give hydration tests and weigh in on the same day, this is possible now.

If the man does not make weight, he loses his purse, if he is not hydrated, the other man gets all the money and there is no fight.

FORCE these fighters to actually fight at their walk around weight and actually stay hydrated and healthy. Cut the fucking weight cutting shit altogether, it's just a form of cheating that has become part of the meta. It's stupid and shouldn't exist at all.

I like it, and so what if it’s more dangerous, if you’re dumb enough to risk it then you get what you deserve when it backfires.

After many hours of contemplation I decided that there is no fixing weight cutting. The only option is a pure openweight division. Weight classes are just a way to give participation trophies to lesser fighters. Many will claim the weight classes are designed to keep the fighters safe, but this obviously not true. If the goal was to keep fighters safe why would they restrict their methods of re hydration by banning IVs. Why would they encourage huge guys like Brandon Davis to cut 30 lbs to BW. If safety is the main concern why the fuck are they doing shit that puts fighters at more risk. These guys are high level competitors, and given the opportunity to gain an advantage they will take it. As long as weight classes exist, you will have weight cutting.

BJJ & Judo you weigh in at the event and in your gi. No time for rehydration.

Works fine. Everyone has a target weight and watches intake in the days pre fight.

Just put a scale at the entrance to the octagon before every fight starts have bruce buffer announce their "in the cage weights" then let the fan's publicly shame any of the blatant weight bullies and give them no respect or props unless they move up. The fans have the power to give weight bullies a bad stigma just like drug cheats, a simple weigh in before they step into the cage would expose them all.

Back