SAMBO included in the European Olympic Games

Ivaylo Ivanov

Elegant as a vampire
@Brown
Reaction score
SAMBO just got included in the European Olympic Games!
Apparently after lobbying from Putin himself.
For those, who are not familiar with the case, SAMBO was first introduced to the Olympics in 1980 and was recognized as an Olympic event.
Unfortunately, the boycott of the games in Moscow delayed the official introduction of SAMBO in the Olympic sports family, but the efforts towards it were always in place.
Lets hope that in the very near future, we will see SAMBO in the program of the Olympics!
http://www.insidethegames.biz/major...2015-european-games-after-lobbying-from-putin

The European Olympic Games? Didn't even know that was a thing.

EDIT: It's the European Games.

Thats great news.

SAMBO just got included in the European Olympic Games!
Apparently after lobbying from Putin himself.
For those, who are not familiar with the case, SAMBO was first introduced to the Olympics in 1980 and was recognized as an Olympic event.
Unfortunately, the boycott of the games in Moscow delayed the official introduction of SAMBO in the Olympic sports family, but the efforts towards it were always in place.
Lets hope that in the very near future, we will see SAMBO in the program of the Olympics!
http://www.insidethegames.biz/major...2015-european-games-after-lobbying-from-putin

I hope don

"The European Games are a proposed multi-sport event to be held among athletes from all over Europe. The Games were designed and are to be regulated by the European Olympic Committees (EOC). The first edition of the Games is intended to take place in Baku, Azerbaijan in 2015, and every four years thereafter. 19 sports have so far been confirmed for the 2015 Games, following successful negotiations with the European authorities for swimming, gymnastics and finally athletics.

Launching of these Games was announced at 41st General Assembly of European national Olympic committees in Rome, on December 8, 2012. The first holding of the Games will take place in June 2015 summer and will have around 19 sports on the programme.[1]

The European Games are the final 'continental' Games to be initiated, after the Asian Games, Pan-American Games, All-Africa Games and Pacific Games. As of 2015, every continent will have a continental games in the Olympic tradition."

"The European Games are a proposed multi-sport event to be held among athletes from all over Europe. The Games were designed and are to be regulated by the European Olympic Committees (EOC). The first edition of the Games is intended to take place in Baku, Azerbaijan in 2015, and every four years thereafter. 19 sports have so far been confirmed for the 2015 Games, following successful negotiations with the European authorities for swimming, gymnastics and finally athletics.

Launching of these Games was announced at 41st General Assembly of European national Olympic committees in Rome, on December 8, 2012. The first holding of the Games will take place in June 2015 summer and will have around 19 sports on the programme.[1]

The European Games are the final 'continental' Games to be initiated, after the Asian Games, Pan-American Games, All-Africa Games and Pacific Games. As of 2015, every continent will have a continental games in the Olympic tradition."

Yeah Im pretty sure that the Pan_American Games (and other games listed) in wrestling qualify a country at the Olympics for each weight class, along with a few other events. Thats probably why they are held every 4 years before Olympic years. Im curious how this will effect other European championship tourneys that are already in place like in wrestling, judo, boxing, etc.

[/U][/B]

Yeah Im pretty sure that the Pan_American Games (and other games listed) in wrestling qualify a country at the Olympics for each weight class, along with a few other events. Thats probably why they are held every 4 years before Olympic years. Im curious how this will effect other European championship tourneys that are already in place like in wrestling, judo, boxing, etc.

Correct!
And I know for sure, there have been a lot of movement on the issue of including SAMBO in the next Panamerican Games too.

Do high level Sambo guys get paid well?

The guys, who double their competitions in Judo or Wrestling (government sponsored Olympic sports) are doing fine.
And that's a very common thing in East Europe and Russia.
Most of the guys on the Bulgarian national team, for example, hold titles in Judo as well.
Of course, the bonuses depend entirely on the sport budget of each country, placing East Europe and Russia in not so favorable positions, with regard to their economics, but there are incentives and bonuses for medals, coming from government, federations and private sponsors.

Correct!
And I know for sure, there have been a lot of movement on the issue of including SAMBO in the next Panamerican Games too.

I know for a while in the late 80s and 90s there was a good degree of crossover between USA wrestling and Sambo tournaments. In fact, a guy named Greg Gibson has world medals in grecco, freestyle, AND a gold medal at the sambo world championships. Les Gutches was also known to compete in sambo. I think Sambo is a very high level form of wrestling and the new crop of Russian MMA fighters are showing that.

I know for a while in the late 80s and 90s there was a good degree of crossover between USA wrestling and Sambo tournaments. In fact, a guy named Greg Gibson has world medals in grecco, freestyle, AND a gold medal at the sambo world championships. Les Gutches was also known to compete in sambo. I think Sambo is a very high level form of wrestling and the new crop of Russian MMA fighters are showing that.

What truth is there for those claims (world championships in sambo) because while there is a lot of overlap there is also a lot that doesnt overlaps.

There is a very deep link between wrestling and SAMBO.
The uniform colors, the shoes, the wrestling mat, the point system and etc.
Back in the days, SAMBO was part of wrestling tournaments, which were normally held as it follows: Saturday- Frestyle, Sunday- Greco and SAMBO.
So, indeed, there are plenty of people who scored medals in both.
SAMBO was part of FILA as well, before been dropped due to the internal conflicts in the world federation FIAS.
Quite sure it will be included in FILA again, once the conflict between FIAS and Rudman is settled though.

Sambo is the link that brings judo, wrestling, and the other wrestling styles from Europe and Asia together.
Putin and Russian energy money might bring Sambo to the Olympics & it helps when some of the IJF guys are pals with FIAS or serve both.

Sambo is very welcome to take Judos spot in the Olympics. *Fingers Crossed* Please, please, pleeeease . . .

I don't think I'd even mind if Sambo took Judo's spot in the Olympics.

Edit: Fuck, I'm in agreement with Einarr on something...

Sambo is very welcome to take Judos spot in the Olympics. *Fingers Crossed* Please, please, pleeeease . . .

The Olympic sports are very dependent on the country and the sponsors.
At this point, Russia doesn't have a national sport in the Olympics, while been one of the biggest participants and host.
Judo start changing, when the rest of the top 5 countries got involved in the politics (regarding money and distribution).
It is very unlikely that judo will be taken out of the Olympics, because its widespread over the globe (I believe it is second only to TKD) and the money in it.
I see it evolving more into ground game and at some point merging BJJ competitors...
SAMBO on the other hand, is more of a wrestling style, with jacket and a few submissions.

There is a very deep link between wrestling and SAMBO.
The uniform colors, the shoes, the wrestling mat, the point system and etc.
Back in the days, SAMBO was part of wrestling tournaments, which were normally held as it follows: Saturday- Frestyle, Sunday- Greco and SAMBO.
So, indeed, there are plenty of people who scored medals in both.
SAMBO was part of FILA as well, before been dropped due to the internal conflicts in the world federation FIAS.
Quite sure it will be included in FILA again, once the conflict between FIAS and Rudman is settled though.

Nice. Way to drop some good knowledge.

Back