SAMBO gets provisional Olympic recognition!

well I used to think that, but I don't know, not feeling too confident after this thread at the moment about what I know about Combat Sambo lol.

And apparently he was some junior champ, but I don't know, I don't really put a lot of weight on junior achievements. It's just me. It's all relative. If it's your friend's friend winning a junior russian championship, awesome epic. But if it's a professional fi ghter? I don't know
I can speak for wrestling much more than Judo, but I assume its comparable bc they are both Olympic combat sports, Junior world medals are extremely impressive the vast majority of the time.

Will the IOC be receving money from FIAS once Sambo is in the Olympics? Don't get me wrong - what Sambo has done is a wonderful accomplishment ...but the IOC doesn't do anything "for love of the sport", so am wondering what's in it for them. Any ideas?

Will the IOC be receving money from FIAS once Sambo is in the Olympics? Don't get me wrong - what Sambo has done is a wonderful accomplishment ...but the IOC doesn't do anything "for love of the sport", so am wondering what's in it for them. Any ideas?
Standard procedure, same as every other sport- a big sponsor is required, to cover expenses for Olympic events.
SAMBO has Rosneft :D
Also, not so many countries are capable of hosting Olympics anymore.

Standard procedure, same as every other sport- a big sponsor is required, to cover expenses for Olympic events.
SAMBO has Rosneft :D
Also, not so many countries are capable of hosting Olympics anymore.

I had no idea FIAS had such deep pockets

Rosneft is the leader of Russia’s petroleum industry and the world’s largest public oil and gas company by liquid hydrocarbon production and reserves. The Company’s core operations are in hydrocarbon exploration and appraisal, production of oil, gas and gas condensate, offshore developments, refining, marketing of oil, gas and oil products inside and outside Russia.

Rosneft’s exploration and production geography spans across all key oil and gas provinces of Russia located in Western Siberia, Southern and Central Russia, Timano-Pechora, Eastern Siberia and the Far East. The Company also implements projects in India, Venezuela, Brazil, Vietnam, Norway, Canada, Mozambique, Indonesia.

Rosneft is one of the major investors in Russia’s economy and the country’s biggest taxpayer. Working environmentally responsible is the cornerstone of Rosneft’s operations.

I really had no idea that Sambo was that big. Call it western ignorance.

I can see now why it was considered the 4th style of wrestling (greco, folk, freestyle, sambo).

I'm happy to see FIAS didn't try to ally with IJF but stood alone, though I'm sure politics will corrupt. Seems to be the way of things

http://m.fightland.vice.com/blog/russian-gangsters-and-russian-wrestlers
Yeah, in US, grapplers really dont know much about SAMBO, participation, structure and even the proper rule set :)
Id put it way above Folk, since Folk is not international style and is only practiced in USA.

I had no idea FIAS had such deep pockets
And just to give you an idea of state funding in some of the Stans:
Kazakhstan presents its SAMBO world medalists with an apartment and SUV, thats besides the financial reward and pension fund bump they get for every medal in every major grappling sport, which will be Judo, SAMBO, Wrestling and... Kurash!

As I have explained you already, I can arrange it.
You cannot expect that a traveler will just show up at the door of the national team members and ask to train and get privates from the world champs for free.
Nobody ask anything for free, just always looking for open clubs where you pay the month and train with people. I am not and neither will be that great to take camps but thank you for the info, didn´t want to sound repetitve.

Nobody ask anything for free, just always looking for open clubs where you pay the month and train with people. I am not and neither will be that great to take camps but thank you for the info, didn´t want to sound repetitve.
What I was explaining is that those are not recreational sport clubs.
To expect you can go and train with national SAMBO team is the same like expecting to train with the national Judo team of Japan or the Olympic wrestling team of USA.
They dont have monthly fees :)
They are THE national selection.
To train with this level of guys you need to clear a lot of red tape.
It aint BJJ brother.

What cause those sport to get that level of founding? Where the countries planning for sambo to get into the olympics or is it an earlier thing?

What cause those sport to get that level of founding? Where the countries planning for sambo to get into the olympics or is it an earlier thing?
SAMBO was officially the combat sport of LEO and military in the Eastern Bloc.
It was government funded since the beginning.
The creation of the sport was ordered by the government and researchers were sent to study all martial arts, known at the time, then to extract the most useful techniques and syntesize a system for Self Defence Without Weapons, which is what SAMBO stands for.

To expect you can go and train with national SAMBO team is the same like expecting to train with the national Judo team of Japan or the Olympic wrestling team of USA.
It aint BJJ brother.
I understand that if is an elite club is not for everyone, just thought there could be some open clubs like in most combat sports.

I understand that if is an elite club is not for everyone, just thought there could be some open clubs like in most combat sports.
I have no idea how one would get an opportunity to train with the National Team in the situation you guys are talking about. However, it may be possible on some level if you seek it out and get a little lucky. The New York City Regional Training Center for wrestling uses a facility that also holds wrestling and grappling classes for regular people. If you were to spend time at such a facility you may cross paths with the occasional world level guy putting in some extra hours on the mat.

It aint BJJ brother.
It cant be easy. To train with the world level guys at the New York City Training Center the criteria is pretty.....selective I guess you could say. Its probably similar with the facility you guys are talking about.

"What is the criteria to be eligible for the RTC?
As defined by USA Wrestling to be eligible for the RTC, you must meet one of the following athletic achievements in the last 5 calendar years in addition to having an active USA wrestling membership.

· Won at least one match at a USAW World or Olympic Team Trials

· Placed top 8 at USAW Senior Open Championships

· Placed top 8 at USAW University National Championship

· Placed top 8 at UWW Junior National Championship

· Placed top 8 at USAW Junior National Championship

· Placed top 8 at USAW Cadet National Championship

· Placed top 4 at the High School State Championship

· Placed top 4 at the Prep National Championships

· Placed top 4 at USAW State Junior freestyle/Greco-Roman Championships

· Placed top 4 at USAW State Cadet freestyle/Greco-Roman Championships

· Placed top 4 at USAW Senior Regional

· Placed top 4 at New York Athletic Club International

· Placed top 4 at Dave Schultz Memorial International

· Any veteran athlete who has represented the U.S. within the last two years at the Veteran’s World Championships or is scheduled to compete at the next world championship event

*High School athletes must live within 250 miles of the RTC to be eligible"

Yeah I'd also really like to know if there's anywhere that's open to the public - like a judo or bjj gym. I get that the places world medalists train at wont be, that's fine, I'm not a world medalist athlete, just always wanted to try Sambo but don't have any near me.

Especially in Tokyo or Osaka (I go there a lot). I know there are places in Seoul / Incheon (where I live), but taking a 2 hour flight to Tokyo seems more fun than commuting to Seoul.

Yeah I'd also really like to know if there's anywhere that's open to the public - like a judo or bjj gym. I get that the places world medalists train at wont be, that's fine, I'm not a world medalist athlete, just always wanted to try Sambo but don't have any near me.

Especially in Tokyo or Osaka (I go there a lot). I know there are places in Seoul / Incheon (where I live), but taking a 2 hour flight to Tokyo seems more fun than commuting to Seoul.
Back in the days, I use to train in the SAMBO club SK Absolute (Tokyo), where lots of champions and veterans from Pancrase, Dream, PRIDE, Combat Wrestling and other organizations, use to train together.

Unfortunately, the club had to move some years ago and now you can find some of those guys at Academy Az or Kichijoji Fit.
In Osaka, I use to have my own gym, where we had SAMBO, but now I live in Brazil. There is only one SAMBO club in Osaka at the moment, M-Works.
Those places are open to general public.

My wife is Brazilian :)
Considering opening a SAMBO church here though.
Seems like Brazil is trying to up their wrestling a bit. As is often the case for countries looking to do so, they took in a few guys from strong wrestling countries. Marat Garipov (KAZ), Sargis Khachataryan (ARM), and Eduard Soghomonyan (ARM) are all competing for Brazil's Greco team now. Over the next 10 years or so this could have a pretty significant effect on Brazilian combat sports.

Back