Sambo and systema

robin101

White Belt
Reaction score
Firstly THANK YOU to whoever told me about Fedor in the sambo thread, the man has made me respect grapplers immensly. Watching him has educated me that good Grapplers do not exclude strikes and just grapple, they use them to set things up and wear guys down. The man is a beast, or was at least.

Watching him has made me want to practice combat sambo, but there are no schools in this country it seems , there are schools for systema though, someone told me they are basically the same thing. Is this true or not?

On a side not man, he was fighting a guy who was doing quite well, he hit fedor with an awsome push kick, but when the guy came in with a flying knee, fedor picked him out of the air with a punch WHAM!!! what a fight

I think you are talking about when Fedor KOed Arlovski?

Where do you live?

yup arlovski fight, quite impressive considering arlovski wasnt a naive begginer at the time of the fight.

I live in bedfordshire england, and work in london england, know any combat (not regular) sambo schools there, and if not, is systema the same thing?

I've only seen Systema looking like a bunch of aikido type stuff being called russian military combatives though I could be wrong so I would have to say no though they may be taught together depending on the school. I have no clue around you since I live state side.

Good luck in your endeavors

systema is complete fraud bullshit

Sambo is very hard to find outside of Russia.
I wouldn't be surprised if England doesn't have any gyms there offering it.

Your best bet is the coveted 4 martial arts.
Muay Thai
Boxing
BJJ
Wrestling

Although wrestling is also hard to find in England from what I hear.
Good luck in your search.

my plan will then be to attempt to create something sambo/pankration like. I am starting muay thai soon, moving from kyokushin karate. (which was awsome but its a location thing)

Thanks for the best wishes. there sure are some nice guys on these forums, if you come asking honest questions in a polite way.

If your looking for somethin pankration/sambo like you should add some type of grappling to your arsenal though I would keep up on your striking as well....

Back