Salvador Sanchez Legacy?

Pat O'Grady would be very proud of you, GJ, for referring to Ganigan (who was a replacement against Pat's son, by the way) as a "world champion", but then again, Pat had someone by the name of Mike Glass, I think, working as an executive in the "organization", so maybe there's some correlation between your username and his last name.

You Pat's nephew or something?

Nah, probably not, because you too would have been classified as a "world champion" according to him.

Lol, you know it!! Ganigan might be the worst inductee ever, but inducted he was *nods*

Boza had to go. When you gotta go, you go.

Anyone remember Six Heads Lewis when he was having his first come back fight quit after a couple rounds cause he had to take a shit? He said something to the effect of, I can always come back and have a win streak and forget about this loss, but I can't live with shitting my shorts in front of all these people.

I think DLH once had to take a shit. I forgot what fight it was. Maybe the Gatti or around that time. He said something like, I ran into a little problem at the end of the fight and when Larry Merchant questioned him what the problem was, he said "You dont want to know." I saw an interview later and he admitted he had the shits that night.

I figured it out from what everybody else said. I just watched that fight and Arguello really took him apart.

Anyone remember Six Heads Lewis when he was having his first come back fight quit after a couple rounds cause he had to take a shit? He said something to the effect of, I can always come back and have a win streak and forget about this loss, but I can't live with shitting my shorts in front of all these people.

I think DLH once had to take a shit. I forgot what fight it was. Maybe the Gatti or around that time. He said something like, I ran into a little problem at the end of the fight and when Larry Merchant questioned him what the problem was, he said "You dont want to know." I saw an interview later and he admitted he had the shits that night.

That De La Hoya fight was against Oba Carr.

First time poster long time lurker... on to business...

Someone earlier in the thread asked what would have happened in a Sanchez vs. Arguello fight. After reading this I remembered my uncle (at the time) Reuben Castillo fought them both so i figured i'd have my cousin ask his opinion. His first loss was to Arguello and at the time he was 47-0(granted they were mostly cans). He fought Arguello at Superfeatherweight (for the title) and the fight was pretty much even until he wore down and got stopped in the 11th. He fought Sanchez 3 months later (that shocked me too) for the Featherweight title (1st defense) and lost a close but unanimous decision. He felt he won the fight and so did a few other people that i know. Granted, their opinionis are biased since he was the hometown hero. I've only seen the early rounds on youtube and he was definitely holding his own tho.

Anyway Reuben says that Arguello would have wrecked Sanchez at 126 or 130. He said Arguello would have been much too strong for him and hit too hard and would have knocked him out in the mid to late rounds. I wish i could give more detail but this info is coming 2nd hand from his daughter and the only thing she knows about boxing, other than her dad, is Oscar De La Hoya. I have to agree with Reuben tho. Arguello is vastly underated since he is predominantly known for his fights against Pryor at 140. But to be fair Arguello was right in the middle of his prime and Sanchez was just entering it when Reuben fought them both...

Check this out.

There's this group I like called Sun Kil Moon.
Just some folk rock band by a guy named Mark Kozelek.
He had an album called "Ghosts of the Great Highway" released in the end of 2003 (the year my mom passed away). Anyway, a bunch of songs on there (as well as the name of the group) are named after fallen fighters: Sun Kil Moon (who's actually alive and well), Salvador Sanchez, Pancho Villa and Duk Koo Kimm.... these are actually the names of songs on the album.

Here's his song entitled Salvador Sanchez:

Salvador Sanchez

SunG-Kil Moon is one of the hardest punchers the sport ever knew and I don't think he would appreciate hearing that he's dead.

SunG-Kil Moon is one of the hardest punchers the sport ever knew and I don't think he would appreciate hearing that he's dead.

Well the band leaves the "G" off.
Did you listen to the song, Tam?

Nah, don't think it'd go down too well in the library, ya know?

I've heard them before though. I went looking for them simply because of the name.

First time poster long time lurker... on to business...

Someone earlier in the thread asked what would have happened in a Sanchez vs. Arguello fight. After reading this I remembered my uncle (at the time) Reuben Castillo fought them both so i figured i'd have my cousin ask his opinion. His first loss was to Arguello and at the time he was 47-0(granted they were mostly cans). He fought Arguello at Superfeatherweight (for the title) and the fight was pretty much even until he wore down and got stopped in the 11th. He fought Sanchez 3 months later (that shocked me too) for the Featherweight title (1st defense) and lost a close but unanimous decision. He felt he won the fight and so did a few other people that i know. Granted, their opinionis are biased since he was the hometown hero. I've only seen the early rounds on youtube and he was definitely holding his own tho.

Anyway Reuben says that Arguello would have wrecked Sanchez at 126 or 130. He said Arguello would have been much too strong for him and hit too hard and would have knocked him out in the mid to late rounds. I wish i could give more detail but this info is coming 2nd hand from his daughter and the only thing she knows about boxing, other than her dad, is Oscar De La Hoya. I have to agree with Reuben tho. Arguello is vastly underated since he is predominantly known for his fights against Pryor at 140. But to be fair Arguello was right in the middle of his prime and Sanchez was just entering it when Reuben fought them both...

Great first post......Reuben was an exciting, tough fighter. He just came along at a time when the talent at 126-135 was at it's zenith...........Keep him on tap though......Would love to know his opinions on other fighters of the times........He fought them all...

I've always put Ruben Castillo in the highest possible category of fighters to never win a world title. He was a fantastic little fighter. Superb skills, great footwork, nice defence. A text book fighter.

Just a shame about his timing. Arguello, Sanchez, Chavez. Three top 25 fighters of all-time, ruling the divisions he challenged in.

I was only 4 when Ruben fought Arguello/Sanchez so i don't remember those at all but i remember the Chavez fight quite vividly. He looked MUCH older than his years in that fight and was seriously owned. I cried like a little girl when he got knocked out.

Oh and evidently i've met Arguello before but i was too damn young to remember. Castillo and Carlos Palomino were real tight tho and i do remember meeting him. I was a little kid tho so everyone was on their best behavior.

Hey Tam-Tam i know you're one of the boxing historians around here. Did you ever see that Castillo/Sanchez fight? If so, what were your thoughts. I don't think he(Castillo) even knows how to get ahold of that fight (or any of the old ones) and was quite surprised to hear that part of it was on you-tube.

I thought Ruben lot to Sanchez, but it was the kind of fight that you couln't really have complained either way. Sal had a few fights like this, but they tended to come against his 'lesser' compeitition. Ruben's fight stands out among this grouping, because he was an elite fighter and carried a realistic threat into the fight with Sanchez.

Sanchez fights are readily available everywhere these days. In the past, before internet trading really took of if you had this fight, you could literally name your price.

Like anything though, once cheaper bootlegs flood the market, the ride is over.

I always thought the closest that Ruben got to winning a championship fight was against Juan LaPorte......Ruben had quite a momentum going in the middle rounds. LaPorte put him on the deck briefly in the last round (If I remember correctly) which probably tipped the balance towards LaPorte.

Back