Salon posted the worst article about MMA yesterday

I follow Salon on facebook because Im a masochist, they post a lot of cringe worthy stuff. It is basically "You like something I don't? You are evil then".

But real life intruded on my fantasies about the world. There was that moment in my speech class, when the audience reflected back to me that my “heroes” were not necessarily acting heroically. Then, at a small get-together, I saw another guy who trained in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu – a grappling art – grab one of our non-MMA friends. The grappler tossed our mutual friend to the ground “like a minor bitch” and choked him out. You see, the grappler badly wanted to sleep with the guy’s girlfriend. Publicly emasculating him in front of her and a few other spectators was the fastest route to doing it. How could any woman not want to switch boyfriends at such a display of fighting prowess?

Lol wtf is this shit I'm reading. The whole thing reeks of BS. If it's true then... wow.

“If a UFC champ came up to you and said the sky was green instead of blue, you’d have to agree,” I used to remark. “Because if you disagreed and he threatened to beat you up if you didn’t agree with him, what would you do? You’d have to agree or he’d beat the shit out of you and could kill you. So the sky would be green!”

Lmaooooooo

why would you give it attention by posting it

Lmaooooooo

so is he just posting hypotheticals because he donst have a point without them? glad i dont have a facebook

What was the point of that shit?

"MMA is fun to watch, but it's evil and I feel bad for being involved in MMA though I'll continue to watch"

Is that the point?

Since when does training in any martial art immediately make you a tool? Tools do everything that you or I do, they just make it seem stupid because they are tools. If a tool played chess, would it make all chess players tools?

Sure, some people at high levels mixed martial arts are complete tools, but the same can be said for baseball, football, and politics (especially politics).

Leave it to Salon to push the traits of the few onto EVERYONE. Hell, most people I know who train BJJ have never been in a fight and don't want to be in a fight.

Since when does training in any martial art immediately make you a tool? Tools do everything that you or I do, they just make it seem stupid because they are tools. If a tool played chess, would it make all chess players tools?

Sure, some people at high levels mixed martial arts are complete tools, but the same can be said for baseball, football, and politics (especially politics).

Leave it to Salon to push the traits of the few onto EVERYONE. Hell, most people I know who train BJJ have never been in a fight and don't want to be in a fight.

I would argue the opposite.

Hard training weeds out the douchebags, making someone LESS likely to be an asshole if they train in MMA/BJJ. They just don't have what it takes character wise to stick with something so difficult.

Lol. I think the author needs to go to a different gym. I've trained bjj over 8 years and I only been to one gym that felt toxic. The instructor was an asshole and the students followed suite. It seemed they all had a point to make by hurting the visitor.

But I've trained in Hawaii, California, Texas, Europe, Utah, Colorado, and other places. Everyone is very welcoming, no one was a bully.

The thing about arts like MMA, Judo, BJJ, is that they are very humbling very quick. If you stick it out, your cockiness and ego take a back seat.

Lol. I think the author needs to go to a different gym. I've trained bjj over 8 years and I only been to one gym that felt toxic. The instructor was an asshole and the students followed suite. It seemed they all had a point to make by hurting the visitor.

But I've trained in Hawaii, California, Texas, Europe, Utah, Colorado, and other places. Everyone is very welcoming, no one was a bully.

The thing about arts like MMA, Judo, BJJ, is that they are very humbling very quick. If you stick it out, your cockiness and ego take a back seat.

Big surprise here, but the author quit training.

Fighters are bullies, many are drunks, and many batter women. Racists and pedophiles also take part in MMA.

It's strange how the author claims he used to train and be a part of the MMA community, but still possesses an extremely cliched, outsider point of view of the culture.

As for the keyboard warrior quip, that is true; a lot of you assholes still utilize that line when you perceive you're losing an argument. That defeatist retort must stop; keyboard warriors such as myself still make valid, ingenious points. And we're incredibly good-looking.

Last edited:
That read like it was written by a college drop out. Good lord. If that piece of garbage makes the final cut I'd love to see what Salon actually turns down.

Lol wtf is this shit I'm reading. The whole thing reeks of BS. If it's true then... wow.

Look around at what's going on. What the fighters act like. People should quit being naive. There is a lot more Kobra-kai attitude in MMA than Mr Miagi.

Fighters are bullies, many are drunks, and many batter women. Racists and pedophiles also take part in MMA.

The top earning boxer in the world is a wife-beater.

Funny how he doesn't mention that in the article.

Back