Salaries and the $4bn UFC sale

No, first account. Been stalking Sherdog on and off since the Pride days. The YouTube post just set off a train of thought. My conclusion was that the UFC must be making a killing and probably could pay out 3-5 times as much in salaries and still be more profitable (in percentage) than virtually all other businesses.

Stalking since the pride days now your nonsensical OP makes more sense.

How many games are in a hockey season? Take the average salary you provided and divide it by 82. There are 82 regular season games in hockey. $450,000 divided by 82 equals $5,488 per game. That doesn't even rival what the lowest paid fighter on the UFC roster would make per fight.
UFC fanboys are usually the ones saying the UFC and team sports are like comparing apples and oranges. I don't think you can get anyone to fight 82 times a year.

Dude, are you trying to say that some of that $4 billion should go to the fighters? Because you know that the people who are now paying the fighters are the ones who PAID $4 billion, right? Fighter pay isn't going anywhere until they recoup some of that money.

Are you saying that the time I spent (wasted?) here has impaired my judgment? I have caught the Sherdog illness?

That is exactly what I'm saying. It's bad enough posting here. If you're just reading it you got the worst of all worlds.

Last edited:
Dude, are you trying to say that some of that $4 billion should go to the fighters? Because you know that the people who are now paying the fighters are the ones who PAID $4 billion, right? Fighter pay isn't going anywhere until they recoup some of that money.
Not at all. I am saying that many people here thought the price was too high. The buyers obviously think they will make money on the deal. One possible explanation is that the UFC is very profitable. Low overhead.

When billionaires pay similar kind of money for major league teams, they do not necessarily do it to make money. They like to own a team in the same way somebody likes to own a Picasso.

I simply do not believe anyone is buying the UFC as a hobby. It is strictly about money. To me, high profitability--higher than any major league team--makes sense. That is my point. IF there is such high profitability, then the criticism of the low salaries is valid.

This is speculation. I can be completely wrong. Maybe the buyers think they can expend the brand globally. Maybe the buyers are a sack of potatoes with zero business sense. Maybe it was a bet among bored billionaires to see who could make the stupidest deal. I don't know.

Last edited:
Getting into the NHL takes a lifetime of training and playing at an extremely high level

Mma, train a couple years 5-7 regional wins youre in

That is exactly what I'm saying. It's bad enough posting here. If you're just reading it you got the worst of all worlds.

Is true. Without the ability to counter-post, you're defenseless, you're up shit-creek without a shit-paddle. Just going to get dragged wherever the shit-tides take you. Down that path lies madness.

Getting into the NHL takes a lifetime of training and playing at an extremely high level

Mma, train a couple years 5-7 regional wins youre in
You are probably right.

My point is not that one sport is harder than the other. My point is that if the UFC pays a proportionally small amount on salaries, then there is valid criticism. I understand the UFC's position just as well. Everything the UFC does not pay in salaries goes in their own pockets. Even if the criticism valid, it does not mean that the UFC has to comply.

I just don't like that argument that they get what they deserve because they are not A-level athletes. The fighters are valuable to the UFC and deserve fair compensation. Not that I'm in the position to judge what is fair.

qAWzsGE.gif

Back