Sal Maroni/season 1 of Gotham felt like watching The Sopranos!

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
To this day I am seriously pissed off that they killed him even though his character is famous for scarring Harvey Dent. Sal Maroni of Gotham was a homage to Tony Soprano. There was also two sopranos actors (one played Mikey) in season 1 and one of them was rolling with Sal Maroni. David Zayas was the best Sal Maroni by far.

Both were bosses of their family but also out there hustling like Blue collar workers and both owned an eatery and were in the food business. Meanwhile both had a rival named Carmine and both carmines were white collar bosses.

The show came to a conclusion and after watching the entire season. I can say that season 1 by far was the best season. No gimmicky antagonist or unrealistic scenarios that make no sense at all. Season 1 was more like a mob series that went down in Gotham. It was realistic and it had a great storytelling as well as that Sopranos sense of humor.

Sal Maroni scolding penguin just like how Tony scolding Christopher:

Sal Maroni establishing his dominance over a fine dining meal much like Tony:

Business deals going down like the Sopranos:

yea season 1 was pretty good, i kinda stopped watching like episodes into season 2 for some reason

yea season 1 was pretty good, i kinda stopped watching like episodes into season 2 for some reason

I watched the following season hoping for a Maroni resurrection but I didn't really enjoy it for most parts. They weren't bad seasons but the story was all wrong. In every batman series, the mob was running the town. So I expected a mob series but it took a strange turn with them adding iconic batman villains in their fully developed state.

Overall things got weird and they started adding batman villains who were fully developed and made them the enemy of Jim Gordon as oppose to Bruce Wayne/Batman.

I watched the following season hoping for a Maroni resurrection but I didn't really enjoy it for most parts. They weren't bad seasons but the story was all wrong. In every batman series, the mob was running the town. So I expected a mob series but it took a strange turn with them adding iconic batman villains in their fully developed state.

Overall things got weird and they started adding batman villains who were fully developed and made them the enemy of Jim Gordon as oppose to Bruce Wayne/Batman.
yea it got a bit too comic booky for my taste

lol how was poison ivy like the same age as bruce in the first season and all of a sudden shes like a grown woman

haha no way.

I still liked it but Gotham has that Lethal Weapon 5 vibe going on

yea it got a bit too comic booky for my taste

True which is fine but the transition sucked. It became too comic booky in a real hurry. Out of nowhere you had mutant powers and resurrections left and right. But in the start, you had a crime series that revolved around mobs and territory.

Oswald Cobblepot was an up and coming gangster and Edward Nygma was a forensic expert. You could have milked that for couple of seasons and kept the show crime and thriller. It could have been CSI/Mob crime mix.

I honestly think the show could have been legendary if they kept the realism that was in season 1.

lol how was poison ivy like the same age as bruce in the first season and all of a sudden shes like a grown woman

Exactly the problems with adding superpowers. She fell in to a hole that accelerated her aging.

haha no way.

I still liked it but Gotham has that Lethal Weapon 5 vibe going on

Season 1 was epic!

It was like watching the sopranos or some class mob movies. You had bosses, underbosses and capos running the city as well as corrupt cops who would work as drug dealers. This was season 1 and then season 2, you end up with super powers and resurrection as well as mind control.

Gotham is a pretty bad show

Season 1 was really amazing though!

Have you watched season 1?

I mean I get it if you watched snippets of different seasons with a corrupt billionaire coming back to life as an ancient warrior and all kinds of nonsense. But season 1 is a completely different show. No superpowers, no resurrections, no comic book type characters or strange unrealistic stories.

Season 1 was about mafia wars, fighting for territory, capos wanting to backstab the don and not to mention corrupt cops selling drugs and working with various criminal factions.

I thought the first season was well done. I was actually impressed. But yeah, that all changed in the second season.

I feel I could QFT every post in this thread.
Promising start then got too weird too fast.

Back