Sakuraba vs Penn: Fighting Giants, Who has the more lasting legacy to you?

Penn had a single success, ONE. HIs first fight with Hughes is the singular big win of his above LW career. The rest is litany of losses.

I wish Penn fans actually knew his record above LW.
Renzo, Rodrigo, Ludwig, Hughes x2 and a draw against the then #2 WW in Fitch. All of those were good to great at the time.

Saku all day! Let me put it this way, the Gracies will forever be revered as the pioneers of both MMA and BJJ. In terms of having a legacy, it's tough to beat being the Gracie hunter.

Lol @ anyone picking BJ

Renzo, Rodrigo, Ludwig, Hughes x2 and a draw against the then #2 WW in Fitch. All of those were good to great at the time.
No in fact they were not. They were all meaningless fights above LW outside Hughes 1 and his draw with Fitch is just that, a draw. Not something you build a more meaningful legacy then Saku with when your only other meaningful win is Hughes 1.

I mean lets lay it out there. When talking about meaningful legacy building fights above LW BJ has Hughes 1 and Fitch draw and that is it. One win and one draw if you want to give that weight. Do you want to Saku's list? Look up thread.

No in fact they were not. They were all meaningless fights above LW outside Hughes 1 and his draw with Fitch is just that, a draw. Not something you build a more meaningful legacy then Saku with when your only other meaningful win is Hughes 1.

I mean lets lay it out there. When talking about meaningful legacy building fights above LW BJ has Hughes 1 and Fitch draw and that is it. One win and one draw if you want to give that weight. Do you want to Saku's list? Look up thread.
BJ beat 2 Gracies and those are meaningless, yet Saku gets praised for his wins over those same opponents while he's bigger than Penn. Saku's a WW/MW under modern rules while Penn's a FW/LW. That makes those meaningful. Ludwig was also bigger than Penn and highly ranked. Hughes came off of 3 wins and was thought to be in title contention again because he started working more on his striking at that time. The first Hughes win is not only meaningful, it's arguably the greatest win in mma history. It's the equivalent of Bisping moving up to LHW and stopping Jones in the 1st round.

you can have the wins but not the belts.

Likewise, you can have the belts but not wins over Vitor Belfort, Rampage Jackson, Kevin Randleman, Ebenezer Fontes Braga, and Vernon White (one of Chuck's defenses at LHW, mind you).
I'll take Saku's career over BJ's any day!

Sakuraba. That guy was an animal.
He fought Cro Cop when Cro Cop was Cro Cop.

yeah, but penn lost to machida. ergo (means therefore) penn > sak.

hey, penn fans, am i doing it right (aside from the use of "fancy words" and such)?

Apparently in your world getting the WW belt is disaster.

You're crazy.

Give BJ his dues. He fought courageously at higher weights, this is something to be honored, not deplored.

he talked shit and gave up between rounds at higher weights.

BJ beat 2 Gracies and those are meaningless, yet Saku gets praised for his wins over those same opponents while he's bigger than Penn. Saku's a WW/MW under modern rules while Penn's a FW/LW. That makes those meaningful. Ludwig was also bigger than Penn and highly ranked. Hughes came off of 3 wins and was thought to be in title contention again because he started working more on his striking at that time. The first Hughes win is not only meaningful, it's arguably the greatest win in mma history. It's the equivalent of Bisping moving up to LHW and stopping Jones in the 1st round.
I've already addressed the Hughes fight as his only meaningful one above LW and its importance so you can state it 1, 2 or 20 times over and it still only counts once.

And no Ludwig was not highly ranked at WW. You are wrong. And yes his other wins above LW were all meaningless in those divisions at the times he fought and beat them. They did not put him further ahead in rankings in those divisions because those guys had no rank. Sure they are names as was Hughes beating Royce Gracie a win over a name, but it was meaningless in terms of raising his ranking.

Bj Penn talked about fighting to the death but quit on his stool. He always seemed to lose his heart whenever things weren't going on his way.

Sakuraba on the other hand never lost heart. The heart he had was amazing. He fought killers like Wanderlei, Cro cop and Arona. I remember when Arona beat him to a bloody pulp, bashed his face in till he looked like the elephant man and then put his fingers inside Sakurbas wounds. Sakuraba just kept coming at him.

Back