Sakuraba vs Couture - what woudla happened

Couture probably would have tooled him, way big and good greco, would have been able to control Saku and avoid the kimura.

Later Randy, yes. 1999 Randy? Not so sure. If a 5'9" Mikhail Ilyukhin could kimura a green Randy, Sak would definitely have a chance. Randy's sub-defense did get much better, though. No one subbed him after 2001, not even Big Nog when he got him in some bad spots. That's what impressed me about Randy--he was always evolving, unlike the Hammerhouse wrestlers (Coleman, Randleman) who never learned good sub-defense. In fact, Randy subbed Coleman in one of his last fights.

Later Randy, yes. 1999 Randy? Not so sure. If a 5'9" Mikhail Ilyukhin could kimura a green Randy, Sak would definitely have a chance. Randy's sub-defense did get much better, though. No one subbed him after 2001, not even Big Nog when he got him in some bad spots. That's what impressed me about Randy--he was always evolving, unlike the Hammerhouse wrestlers (Coleman, Randleman) who never learned good sub-defense. In fact, Randy subbed Coleman in one of his last fights.
Who said 1999? I was just thinking prime for prime.

would really be hoping for Saku to find a way but I think Randy controls him to a relatively boring decision

Randy was too big with too much wrestling for Saku, IMO

Like others said, depends on entirely when they hypothetically fight.

Prime for prime though Randy probably tools him. If Nog couldn't submit Randy then Saku isn't.

yea i didnt really want to say prime vs prime because there primes didnt really overlap despite both fighting until old age -
i woudl have to review their records but i dont really recall Saku fighting any Greco wrestlers

Who said 1999? I was just thinking prime for prime.
TS never specified so we're all just guessing. I agree the Randy who beat Tito and Chuck (first fight) around 2004 was too good and evolved for any version of Saku...but it's a bit unfair since the sport evolved a lot in the 6 years between that time and when Sak was beating the Gracies.

It could have ended like Saku vs Vitor or Saku vs Arona.

Randy's style would have to completely change in the ring. He pretty much would have to use ground and pound solely. I say he finishes Saku in about 3-4 minutes.

yes. the ufc's roster at that time was pretty bad.

No, that doesn't make sense. You judge every fight by the era in which they fought, not 2020 MMA standards. Randy was definitely above average.

All we can say for sure is that if would've been a fight.

Sakuraba fought guys that size so it would definitely be a fight.

Literally irrelevant.

It's not literally irrelevant seeing as that fight proved that Randy had really, really improved his sub defence later in his career. Nog had him in terrible spots and he still got out of them, even when rocked.

If you're talking about the best Randy fighting the best Saku, then it obviously matters if Randy's sub defence is now excellent and Saku isn't likely to submit him.

It could have ended like Saku vs Vitor or Saku vs Arona.
So Randy breaking his hand and butt scooting all fight OR Saku getting nearly murdered in front of 50k people? Interesting take.

It's not literally irrelevant seeing as that fight proved that Randy had really, really improved his sub defence later in his career. Nog had him in terrible spots and he still got out of them, even when rocked.

If you're talking about the best Randy fighting the best Saku, then it obviously matters if Randy's sub defence is now excellent and Saku isn't likely to submit him.
hmm..nah.. As shown by the gifs I provided, Nog´s transitions on the ground were literally shot by the time he signed with the UFC.
He also arguably adapted his 'approach' to the game & skill set to a completly different Fight Configuration &, most of all, Scorin´System.

I love Saku but I think it would be similar to Arona vs Saku.

The real question is, who would've won between Randy and Wand

Wand. Too much power, too good of TDD, too good of sub defence, and too much roids to prevent slowing down. Bad match up for Randy, even if he was infamous for winning those fights he really shouldn't.

Couture vs Shogun though Randy has a much stronger chance of winning.

So Randy breaking his hand and butt scooting all fight OR Saku getting nearly murdered in front of 50k people? Interesting take.
Yup. Either Saku lucks out or gets Arona’d again

Back