Sailing

Find a tree, bend the wood, round up a crew, raid a coastal village, go to war with rival raider groups... profit?
What’s there to know?

I don’t sail. But I own a boat. And not even a large one. Boats are extremely expensive to maintain and just overall as hell in all aspects. If you are to inherit money, I would spend wisely. If you just blindly start buying sail boats and other expensive things when you don’t have a consistent large income - you are going to go broke extremely fast.

I’ve known many dumb fucks who inherited millions, won large claims from injuries resulted from car collisions - and all 5 of them went broke within 3 years and are working shit jobs now. One at Starbucks and another at 711. Only one of them didn’t go broke instantly, but from what I’ve observed he’s well on his way to insolvency.

Most people aren’t meant to have lots of money. Most people are absolutely horrible with finances. Just don’t be stupid with the money or you too will end up just like them.
Thank you for the legit reply. What type of boat? Speed boat? That is what I've heard from several people. The costs involved can add up pretty fast.

As for the financial advice you included, all right on the spot and I appreciate that too. Besides the idea of sailing, not much else appeals to me in the way of expensive stuff. If and when, God willing, I do get the chance to sail it will be down the road. I figure if I start trying to learn the skills now though, it makes it more realistic later. I live a pretty spartan lifestyle. I find that is what is healthiest for me physically and spiritually. You're also right about most people with finances. I don't try to live above my means. I see a lot of folks that want wine on a water budget.

You seem like a nice enough dude. Sorry for calling you a tool in my first reply lol.

It's a far away dream, or one of the dreams, to sail the seas. Welp, a man can dream.

Another thing to consider is that living on a boat is really gross. Unless you are already married to a hippie chick your gonna have a hard time getting a girlfriend.

Lol... love this reply. Reality always gets in the way of the fantasy I guess.

Sailing is one of those dreams I’ve always wanted to do, like sailing from here to the Caribbean.

But deep inside, I know I’d probably get sick of it after a few weeks.

Man... I get smelly down here after just a 1/2 day of the heat and humidity. Don’t even want to venture to guess what I’d end up like after several days stuck on a boat

You’d rather own a boat before you own a house?

With horrible financial knowledge like that - enjoy being poor for the rest of your life
If you are currently renting and not in aa position to buy a house, buying a boat and paying less than rent for the mortgage is great economic sense. Its like buying a mid range car that doubles as your apartment.

If you are currently renting and not in aa position to buy a house, buying a boat and paying less than rent for the mortgage is great economic sense. Its like buying a mid range car that doubles as your apartment.

Buying a house or apartment before a fucking sail boat always makes more financial sense. You don’t gain equity with a boat. You only LOSE money. I don’t think you realize how much of a money pit owning a boat is. Docking it alone costs a lot. I don’t think you’ve taken these factors into consideration.

Buying your first home is always the best and obvious choice you should make before buying a fucking boat or an expensive sports car. Period.

Another thing to consider is that living on a boat is really gross. Unless you are already married to a hippie chick your gonna have a hard time getting a girlfriend.
But you can sure fuck a lot of them on the boat, they don't get annoyed at having to walk to the marina bathrooms till the second time around<BC1>

I have a fascination with sailing too, I follow a bunch of sailing channels on youtube (The Sailing Frenchman especially, a hairy french guy with a moustache who's often shirtless sailing around the world, no homo of course).

Buying a house or apartment before a fucking sail boat always makes more financial sense. You don’t gain equity with a boat. You only LOSE money. I don’t think you realize how much of a money pit owning a boat is. Docking it alone costs a lot. I don’t think you’ve taken these factors into consideration.

Buying your first home is always the best and obvious choice you should make before buying a fucking boat or an expensive sports car. Period.
I've got a number of friends on liveaboards. It depends, but you can often pay less than you would renting, and past slip fees you are paying to own something that retains value pretty well. If you aren't in a place to put a down payment down on a house it can be a fine decision. Nevermind the fact someone might actually want to use the boat and the lifestyle will bring them satisfaction.

Sorry mate, but if a loan for 40k is all that's in the near future, buying a boat is better than giving your money to a landlord or buying a shanty in the meth part of town. When you are ready to buy that house you can sell the boat and much of what would have been lost as rent money turns into a down payment.

You still have to be smart about it, which was the advice I gave TS.

I've got a number of friends on liveaboards. It depends, but you can often pay less than you would renting, and past slip fees you are paying to own something that retains value pretty well. If you aren't in a place to put a down payment down on a house it can be a fine decision. Nevermind the fact someone might actually want to use the boat and the lifestyle will bring them satisfaction.

Sorry mate, but if a loan for 40k is all that's in the near future, buying a boat is better than giving your money to a landlord or buying a shanty in the meth part of town. When you are ready to buy that house you can sell the boat and much of what would have been lost as rent money turns into a down payment.

You still have to be smart about it, which was the advice I gave TS.

I live in Vancouver BC where no detached house (no matter how old and shitty) is worth under a mil and 1 bedroom tiny 450sq ft condos are 500k plus. Value on condos here go up extremely fast and only go up. You’d be an idiot to waste your money buying a boat before a condo.

I own a 2 bedroom Sub penthouse downtown I bought a year and a half ago year for 1.4 million. It’s now worth close to 2 million. Yes it could depend on where you live, but you’d be a fucking moron to buy a boat HERE before buying a home.

It’s the same thing as idiots financing 80 thousand dollar cars but rent with a bunch of roommates. People like this will never be wealthy and have actual wealth. They will remain broke and brainless.

I’ve told my lady many times that when we are older I’d love to just sail around the Caribbean and jump out and relax around St. John/St. Barths/Jost Van Dyke etc

This couple is a lot more adventurous and actually sails around the world meeting tribes in the pacific (fuck that) but still very interesting and they share a lot of the technical and mundane sides of sailing. I don’t know if this is the one, but they have a video of when they find an old schooner that was left on a wide stretch of coral

I live in Vancouver BC where no detached house (no matter how old and shitty) is worth under a mil and 1 bedroom tiny 450sq ft condos are 500k plus. Value on condos here go up extremely fast and only go up. You’d be an idiot to waste your money buying a boat before a condo.

I own a 2 bedroom Sub penthouse downtown I bought a year and a half ago year for 1.4 million. It’s now worth close to 2 million. Yes it could depend on where you live, but you’d be a fucking moron to buy a boat HERE before buying a home.
...if you are in a position to secure a home loan for a milly.

...if you are in a position to secure a home loan for a milly.

I know it’s different in many states in America, where you can buy a giant house for under 500k. I remember watching a YouTube video about Chris watts and their ginormous 7 bedroom house, and that it was only worth around 500k.. that blew my mind.

But even away from downtown but still in the lower mainland where newer 1 bedroom condos go for 400k, you’d be wise to put a down payment on one of them before buying a boat.

Everything I know about sailing I learnt from this song.

Anyone here know anything about sailing?

I've always been interested in sailing. The idea has always appealed to me. Rather than own a house I'd like to eventually own my own boat. The problem is that I've only been sailing a few times and I'm not very knowledgeable about it.

Any of you sail? How did you get into it? Any recommendations? Any books related to the subject you'd suggest?

just get a paddle and get after it like these chicks did.

I want a sailboat....one to live on, selling the house..

Yep, sailing is super fun and it's one of my favorite outdoors hobbies. But as others have said, it's expensive and time consuming to own and maintain a boat. So I belong to a sailing club and get to sail on a regular basis. I much prefer sailing small boats that can be operated by one person - a dinghy. I have no interest in living on a boat long term though.

i've gone sailing once. it was a good time. luckily, we hired a crew to sail us around. it was motor-powered, but it was a really windy day, so we didn't need to use it much. kind of boring after a while, unless your surroundings are varied.

Yep, sailing is super fun and it's one of my favorite outdoors hobbies. But as others have said, it's expensive and time consuming to own and maintain a boat. So I belong to a sailing club and get to sail on a regular basis. I much prefer sailing small boats that can be operated by one person - a dinghy. I have no interest in living on a boat long term though.

How is the learning curve? Having never sailed I’m curious about the process....also navigating...

How is the learning curve? Having never sailed I’m curious about the process....also navigating...

You can learn the sailing theory over a couple of weekends. You need to understand the parts of a sailboat, how to sail and maneuver your boat depending on the wind direction, wind strengths, etc. Say if wind is blowing East to West, it's easy to go West since the wind is blowing that way. But you need to learn how to eventually come back East (it's called going upwind or tacking). This has to be done in a particular angle against the wind.

Once you know the theory, it's all about practice. I like sailing dinghies because they're easy to rig up and I can go sailing by myself without a crew. I can literally go to my local sailing club and be on the water in 10 minutes.

For me, I probably got comfortable sailing alone after 10 hours of practice on the water. But I have a lot of experience with water sports. I regularly kitesurf and have windsurfed in the past.

Back