Sage now a free agent: "My friends (MacDonald, Machida) are making 2x, 3x, what they made in UFC"

Well yeah, you can be one of the top guys in a smaller org and would only be a B or C level guy in the UFC.

"Sage was never my friend" -Dana White

Screen-Shot-2015-10-15-at-1.23.41-PM.png
Is this Congress?

WME is giving Bellator a window to grow. Zuffa wouldn't let go of so many big names.

Zuffa had a determined plan to absorb all of the major talent at every weight class and they basically achieved it with just a few exceptions. Endeavor has allowed all of that to erode, as their focus is not truly on a passion for the competition but on what is marketable and how to expand network and commercial deals.

As a fan, I can't say I enjoy the direction they've taken things.

Last edited:
Didn't he get on an $80,000 contract right away? Surprised to hear him saying this, got a source? That's more than guys like Jim Miller make (which is pretty sad)

He draws though. It makes me sad too but that's the nature of the business. You're paid for how many people want to see you not how good you are

He's the kind of guy Coker can do a lot with. He's a master at giving guys kind style matchups to build them into stars. Look what he did with Nick Diaz

Lower profile fighters can make more money in Bellator off of sponsorships.
Sage could actually do really well in this department i think. Good looking and squeaky clean.
Advertisers wet dream.

Bellator is terrible for Sage in the long run. He no doubt will lose to some of the bums there and then his image will crumble and won't be getging ufc money, he won't have a future in ufc with a spotty record.

Going to bellator is the worst thing he can do for himself, so if he is a creedy boi, let him suffer.
Nah... i think its actually perfect.

We've seen sage isnt really ready for the top echelon of the UFC yet. Maybe he will never be. But going to bellator would allow him to face weaker competition, build confidence, all the while getting more money from purses and much more in sponsorship.

Maybe at one point he would be ready to come back.

Last edited:
He's a great kid. He's got potential but he's not ready for the UFC yet - Dana White (soon)

Lol this SoB is getting paid good money and he's still trying to get more.

I like sage but he ain’t ever gunna beat top 5 WW or LW in UFC Bellator would be a good move for him. Machida and MacDonald have legacies tied to their name that’s what brings them money.

I love using this as an example because Overeem was on the prelim card.

Alistair Overeem: $860,000 ($850,000 to show, $10,000 Reebok sponsorship) (now I get why he’s so smug and non chalant about everything)

Robert Whittaker: $610,000 ($400,000 to show, $70,000 from Romero for missing weight, $100,000 Fight of the Night bonus, $40,000 fight week incentive pay)

CM Punk: $503,500 ($500,000 to show, 3,500 fight week incentive pay)

Colby Covington: $380,000 ($350,000 to show, $30,000 fight week incentive pay)

Sage should know this I mean he gets special treatment from the UFC. He’s paid better than most fighters that are ranked where he is.

He draws though. It makes me sad too but that's the nature of the business. You're paid for how many people want to see you not how good you are

He's the kind of guy Coker can do a lot with. He's a master at giving guys kind style matchups to build them into stars. Look what he did with Nick Diaz

Oh I agree, I'm glad Sage was getting paid well right off the bat. More of an indictment on how cheap they are with the majority of their roster. Especially proven fighters. The absolute no-names I can understand, they're not generating any revenue and are being given the opportunity (supposedly) to make some $$

Didn't he get on an $80,000 contract right away? Surprised to hear him saying this, got a source? That's more than guys like Jim Miller make (which is pretty sad)
Never forget 40/40. Quick someone get the kite gif.

DIllon makes 100k per fight. Real money is in Bellator can't blame Sage boii if he wants to jump over

You believe a lying self promoter is telling the truth? Do you believe everything Dana says as well?

I’m no Sage fan but I will say he’s definitely improving. Why can’t all the wmma contracts get fought to expiration and they can all be free agents since they’re going backwards in terms of entertainment value? Dana still hoping Ronda will make another run or something, I don’t get it.

Dude will get guaranteed squash matches in Bellator for sure while making bank. Seems like a win-win.

Sounds like they’ll have to roll out that Trevino rematch, there aren’t many guys he can squash.

Not staying with the UFC would be an eternal mistake by Sage. As shit as UFC treats most fighters they absolutely laid out the red carpet for Sage. Maybe the highest base salary for a new fighter without a resume, a lot of marketing invested into him. Extremely protective of him by feeding him cans and at best average talent AND staying patient when he lost.

It really doesnt get any better.

To not stay with the UFC and even comment like that could be a sign that he is highly delusional about himself. Sage will never be more than an average fighter. He isnt even that at the moment and no just because he is young it doesnt mean he will get better. Its about mileage with fighters not age. He should be much better by now. He is like McDonalds handicapped little brother who gets steroid waffles for breakfast regarding talent and skill.

But going to bellator would allow him to face weaker competition,

It doesnt get that much weaker than what he faced in the UFC. His two best opponents squashed him. Imo he will face equal talented fighters or even better ones. The times are long gone were entry level fighters are much better in the UFC than in Bellator. And they certainly wouldnt be that protective of him.

Back