Safe to say...GSP will never come back

I don't think he wants to go through the pressure and grind of another UFC run. Sounds like he's mentally done and enjoying his life away from the sport.

GSP is like the Ray or Hagler or MMA.. He has fought everyone there was to fight in his era. And he beat them all.

25-2 career record with both losses avenged.
Most WW title defenses of all time with 9..
Pretty much widely regarded as the best fighter of his generation

He does not need to ever fight again..

If he came back I don't see anyone in the division stopping him. It's one of the weakest divisions at the moment.

Biggest issue would be the fact that he stands up for himself and has enough money to not need Dana White, which is a surefire recipe for a UFC flavored temper tantrum.

I don't think he was scared of ruining his legacy more so than ruining his brain from all the damage.

Taking shots to the face from Diaz, Condit, and Hendricks put him in shock mode.

I genuinely believe him when he says he was mentally drained and needed to get out. The man had put basically 11 years into his fight career as a pro and 9 of them were in the UFC under intense pressure. He first fought for a title when he was only 23.

If he came back I don't see anyone in the division stopping him. It's one of the weakest divisions at the moment.

What???

Robbie
Rory
Hendricks
Woodley
Condit

Weak?? It's fuckin stacked..

I genuinely believe him when he says he was mentally drained and needed to get out. The man had put basically 11 years into his fight career as a pro and 9 of them were in the UFC under intense pressure. He first fought for a title when he was only 23.

He was mentally drained, but was in physical shock.

I think Rogan mentioned that he took something like 500 head shots in his last three fights alone....And it was a major concern for mild brain damage...Possibly serious damage.

I highly doubt he is gonna come back, and if I was him I wouldn't either. He's already rich and set for life financially and retired as the champ on a massive winning streak after cleaning out his division. He really has nothing left to prove.

But I disagree with OP I think if he came back he probably could still beat most of the top guys, I just don't think it's worth the risk of losing or the extra brain trauma he might take.

I stopped reading when you said Brown was a terrible match-up for GSP.

The dude is 34 years old with multiple issues with his shoulder and especially knees.

He refuses to move up in weight (I think any top 15-20 MW legit wrecks him anyways) and he's already said he wouldn't want to fight Condit again..

I don't see him doing good against Hendricks (terrible match up), Brown (terrible match up as well), Condit (winnable, but will get hurt doing so again), Hector Lombard (would destroy GSP), Maia (could submit him but the safest fight damage wise), won't fight Rory for personal reasons, and Robbie would straight murder him imho.

I actually do miss his dominance on the weight class...but the game has passed him by. He can't physically keep up even if he wanted to, those are just facts.

:icon_sad:

Nobody beat him in 6 years, yet hes all of a sudden privy to get wrecked by 80% of the ww and mw division? Interesting analysis.

I think the more time passes the less likely it is he will return. He is keeping in shape, making great money doing movies and other things, and he just doesn't need it anymore. He is much happier now. He has already proved everything he could prove.

He likes to think he could return if he feels like it, but he doesn't like the pressure of having to come back. I think he might just ride that 'could' into the sunset.

i'm saying that his entire game was based around avoiding fighting. yeah, after a fighter made him fight, like his fight with hendricks, he didn't have a choice because gsp couldn't take hendricks down.

it was when he could control where a fight took place, was when he played it safe to win as safely as possible.

Define fighting, please.

i'm saying that his entire game was based around avoiding fighting. yeah, after a fighter made him fight, like his fight with hendricks, he didn't have a choice because gsp couldn't take hendricks down.

it was when he could control where a fight took place, was when he played it safe to win as safely as possible.

So, winning as safely as possible = not fighting? This entails fighting means winning or competing less than as safely as possible.

That is about as arbitrary a definition as I have seen.

So, winning as safely as possible = not fighting? This entails fighting means winning or competing less than as safely as possible.

That is about as arbitrary a definition as I have seen.

Dude just posts GSP hate for years now. It's his thing.

GSP has out worked every single opponent he's fought.

I like how he has forced to say "GSP HAD to fight Hendricks because of he couldn't wrestle him down". The reality is most of GSP opponents are getting worked over so hard they stop moving forward. They shell up and hope to survive the fight. If they move forward on GSP, GSP finds more openings.

Condit and Fitch fought to win, and they were crazy fights.

Hendricks had moments, and posture around like a winner because he was getting the best of the wrestling. But GSP out worked him, attacked more and went for more submissions.

Guys like Kos, Hardy, Serra, BJ all balled up and hoped to make it to the bell.

He is a small WW and always has been. Penn was a suicidally small WW.

I think you need to refresh your memory on how big GSP actually was/is compared to the other WW's. He was 185-190 on fight night, shredded.

Brown is a terrible match up? Gsp would take him down at will. And probably jab him on the feet. Great match up for Gsp.

Gsp really is the King. Beat all the current best, and all the old legends. With sheer dominance pretty much up until the very last fight. All it took was a div 1 national champ to stop the take downs of a guy who never wrestled in school or before training mma. Gsp is a legend. I hope he stays retired. So he lives a long healthy life. He has nothing to prove. He's the goat at the weight class. And I say that as someone who lost interest watching him once he stopped going for the kill. His ability to dictate where the fight takes place and the pace is something that may not be seen again.

GSP wants nothing to do with the top of that weight class right now. He'd have a huge target on his back if he were to return.

Back