Saenchai loses to Sanda fighter?

Usually in those MT vs Sanda matches it's Sandra rules and not MT, so elbows aren't even allowed. It's pretty split, but Sandra guys win many times because throws score a lot of points and the fights are taking place in China.

Now that I think of it we don't really see these fights anymore. They used to do whole events.

These fights were under unified rules, not Sanda rules.
This topic has already being done. http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/is-sanshou-tournaments-rigged.2969771/page-3
Elbows are allowed, they are just padded. Plenty of Sanda throws are banned too (in fact, in terms of overall tools, there are more handicap on Sanda moves, but thats to be expected as Sanda is more versatile since its a sport thats more than just striking), after 2009, all offensive takedowns no longer score and neither does any throws score unless one remains standing, and throws don't score more than punches, both score 1 point. That's why you no longer see Sanda fighters spamming takedowns over and over after that (in some matches the Thai actually score more for takedown). The only thing favoring Sanda in this is that this is a point scoring system and not a damage scoring system (and this is because there are throws). Sanda guys win a lot more (higher numbers in every host) in China under these rules, it is in Thailand where the matches are more split.
These matches disappeared because of the rise of kick boxing promotions in China like Wulinfeng.
I haven't really seen any of those since Kaew lost before going into the army and Lamsongkram got knocked out by Zhang Kaiyin. They use to be like one a year they did some in Thailand too where Samkor and Bovy fought in the events.

Zhang also fought JWP after that and beat him (with no takedowns). The last of these I am aware of was in 2013. Afterwards the events declined with the rise of kickboxing in China.

I'm glad they have replaced these Muay Thai vs Kung Fu events with legit kickboxing events.
Two different sports and its pointless to compare them. The unified rules have been negotiated and evolved to something that are relatively fair for both sides after 2009, the Chinese just better adapted to the rule. Kickboxing just places a greater limit on both sports; but people will enjoy pure striking over clinching and grappling.

Last edited:
The old sanda vs muay thai events were obviously a mess but they were a lot of fun, I wish they did more of them. I remember jomthong showing some jose aldo-esque takedown defence in one of them.

Back