Saddest Moments in Boxing in Pics

More pathetic then sad, but:

050611_tysonLost_hmed_8p.h2.jpg

I'd have to disagree with you on that one
What this picture shows, is a man who once stood atop the boxing world, a man without equal in the time of his prime, reduced to a shell of a former shell of himself, through a self destructive life style formed from a lack of guidance, and caring individuals.

To cast this in a different scenario
Imagine somebody raising a child, nurturing it, and devoting your time and life, into crafting them into an upstanding individual. Only to watch that very child make bad decisions, go out, hurt them self, and end up, mentally and physically broken.

This is how I see Tyson's story
and honestly, I believe it's one of the saddest in the sport.

What this picture shows, is a man who once stood atop the boxing world, a man without equal in the time of his prime, reduced to a shell of a former shell of himself, through a self destructive life style formed from a lack of guidance, and caring individuals.

Imagine somebody raising a child, nurturing it, and devoting your time and life, into crafting them into an upstanding individual. Only to watch that very child make bad decisions, go out, hurt them self, and end up, mentally and physically broken.

Nah..
I agree that Tyson is responsible for his own actions, but to suggest that he was "nurtured" is ridiculous. He was taught to box by people that felt they could make a fortune off of him. He was allowed to drop out of school and be irresponsible by his supposed "nurturers" because his boxing potential. He wasn't nurtured.. he was developed and used.. and that contributed to his poor mental health later in life.
He is a mentally weak individual that focused on becoming physically strong to overcome that weakness.. to hide that weakness.
That weakness comes from neglect, abuse, loneliness, and the lack of a nurturer.

Nah..
I agree that Tyson is responsible for his own actions, but to suggest that he was "nurtured" is ridiculous. He was taught to box by people that felt they could make a fortune off of him. He was allowed to drop out of school and be irresponsible by his supposed "nurturers" because his boxing potential. He wasn't nurtured.. he was developed and used.. and that contributed to his poor mental health later in life.
He is a mentally weak individual that focused on becoming physically strong to overcome that weakness.. to hide that weakness.
That weakness comes from neglect, abuse, loneliness, and the lack of a nurturer.

Tyson was used by Don King, that was pure usage. Cus on the other hand used himself as much as he used Tyson while building him, they both got something out of it. Without "Kid Dynamite" there would be no "Iron". Mike was the strongest mentally in the D'amato days. Implying that that contributed to his weak mental state today is false. In fact quite the contrary, if he didn't have his warrior self to look back to he would be even weaker today. His poor mental health is his own doing.

Tyson was used by Don King, that was pure usage. Cus on the other hand used himself as much as he used Tyson while building him, they both got something out of it. Without "Kid Dynamite" there would be no "Iron". Mike was the strongest mentally in the D'amato days. Implying that that contributed to his weak mental state today is false. In fact quite the contrary, if he didn't have his warrior self to look back to he would be even weaker today. His poor mental health is his own doing.

You guys seem to be missing out an important part of the puzzle. Mike was the product of a broken home, father left at 2. His character was moulded on the streets of Bedford and later Brownsville amongst dubious male role models.
The reason he met Cus was his placement in reform school. So, his formative years were not conducive to the formation of a well-rounded individual. A handful of happy years with D'amato could not change a mentality so ingrained.
The dedication and application he showed are to be applauded. He lost his way, sure, whether inevitable or not; but the sheer scale of his accomplishments in a short space of time are testament to a strong, focused and determined individual, qualities few possess, especially with his back-story.
Saying his poor mental health is 'his own doing' I find a little confusing.

I didnt suggest they conspired to keep him weak. I suggested that they neglected to equip him with the tools he needed to develop a healthy and strong mind.

This is one of the reasons that Tyson's main coach, Teddy Atlas, still speaks ill of Cus to this day. Tyson was allowed to be a delinquent because Cus didn't want to lose his last shot at glory.

You guys seem to be missing out an important part of the puzzle. Mike was the product of a broken home, father left at 2. His character was moulded on the streets of Bedford and later Brownsville amongst dubious male role models.
The reason he met Cus was his placement in reform school. So, his formative years were not conducive to the formation of a well-rounded individual. A handful of happy years with D'amato could not change a mentality so ingrained.
The dedication and application he showed are to be applauded. He lost his way, sure, whether inevitable or not; but the sheer scale of his accomplishments in a short space of time are testament to a strong, focused and determined individual, qualities few possess, especially with his back-story.
Saying his poor mental health is 'his own doing' I find a little confusing.

I didn't say his poor mental health was his own doing. I said he is responsible for his own actions. He makes the decisions.. He may be a little harder for him to do the right thing than others, but he still decides and follows through. In other words, he aint completely unstable mentally. He aint completely bad. But, the stable parts of him and the good parts of him give in to the unstable and the bad for whatever reason.

You are right about a major part of his problems stemming from his youth. But Cus had him from 12 on. They caught him early in the game, and Tyson loved Cus like a father.. but Tyson got older and more mature.. and he looked back and saw how he was allowed to things the other kids couldn't, and how some of those things contributed to his problems in life.. and then that creates a whole new complex.. "did Cus love me like a son.. like I loved him like a father? Was I just a pwn for him?".. then he goes to King and starts talking down white people and blah blah blah... He was angry because he knew he was used.. and he didnt really care about the mutual financial benefits because he wanted a father.. not a financial partner.

This is just my take though

Unless you count this guy...

135035.jpg
http://acimg.auctivacommerce.com/imgdata/0/0/0/0/1/1/webimg/135035.jpg

BTW, this IS the saddest pic in Boxing history after the Marciano/Louis one I posted before.

anything with salvador sanchez in it :( i just wish i had been around to witness his fights live. also the chavezvs meldrick one, poor guy was never the same.

it just baffles me why posters would take time to share such cool pics, many of which I have never seen, and not caption them.

forever, the cruelest sport. these men don't get their due. the wrost for me is Louis v Marciano

41933813.jpg

Sugar Ray Robinson wept in Louis' locker room afterwards.

i watched a documentary of Joe Louis' career and watching him fall to Marciano was sad to see indeed, i'm sure the fight would have been different if Louis was in his prime. His story about how he became a national icon is so interesting. IMO he is the greatest heavyweight of all time.

I have to agree that (besides numerous deaths in the ring) Louis vs Marciano is probably the saddest moment in boxing history, but this one comes in a pretty close second for me:

35lvxw1.jpg

felt so bad for Roy Jones. He was devastated. Worked so hard and fought his heart out, just to get blatantly robbed.

Not even close to the saddest story in the sport... tyson is doing quite well now and has a good life.

Compare that to the story's of guys like Liston or Ali.

Frazier vs. Ali 3 in a way. Joe laid it all on the line for the last time with the warrior spirit that he had, but he still fell short of Valhalla.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back