Saddest MMA moments

Times where I actually felt legitimately sad...

I felt a little sad for Matt Serra getting wrecked in the GSP rematch. Especially taking those knees to the body at the end. He and everyone else knew that his Rocky Balboa story was over.

I felt sad for Ed Herman when he came out for the second round (forget against who) on a knee that he couldn't stand or pivot on, but gave it a go and tried to throw a kick, but just collapsed and the fight was over.

I felt a little sad for Randy getting destroyed right away by Machida in highlight reel fashion. I don't really like Randy, but it was clear that it was the end of an era in that moment.

I felt really sad for Rich Franklin when he woke up after getting KO'd by Cung Le. He really had higher (and realistic) hopes for the late stages of his career but it all came crashing down right there. Even after brain trauma, you could see in his eyes that he immediately understood that it was over.

I was sad for Arlovski as he was apologizing to the crowd for his boring fight against Werdum.

The look on Jens Pulver's face after most of his late-career losses was pretty sad. He seemed to keep going in there with the belief that he was going to turn things around in that fight.

It's mostly because of the bullshit he pulled in his Metamoris. He literally refused to grapple in a grappling match. Then his coach Rener Gracie defended him in a Gracie breakdown

He couldn't have handled Metamoris any worse. He might have even gotten away with that ridiculous performance if he had been humble or embarrassed in his post-match interview, but literally seconds after the final buzzer, he was singing his own praises.

Could you imagine if Kalib Starnes had given a post-fight interview and patted himself on the back for shutting down Nate Quarry's game plan?

ReflectingAdeptAsianelephant.gif
giphy.gif

Silva's broken leg vs. Weidman bummed me out. I thought for sure that was the final Silva fight.

OSP's victory over Shogun bummed me out. I've seen Shogun in his prime. Shogun in his youth would've never gone out like that.

Liddell vs. Rich Franklin. Action packed fight, but the way it ended, with that cut Liddell suffered.

BJ vs. Frankie 3. That was a sad thing for anybody who's followed BJ.

Jamie Varner's last fight was a rough one. Horrific ankle injury, retiring on a low note after so many great fights.

Nogueira's KO loss to Roy Nelson. It felt weird, because going in, everybody I talked to including myself saw it coming.

Evan Tanner's death is very saddening.
Also a less known one is Justin Levens.

Watching Barao getting mauled twice in a row by TJ was a nightmare for me. Silvia's broken leg, and watching AlphaCat getting destroyed by Rowdy in her come back match after her hubby died was quite rough

Shogun getting tapped by Chael is definitely up there. Same with JDS's losses to Cain and Overeem.

when Keith hackney's fist repeatedly connected to Joe Son's balls

My saddest moment was watching Jon Jones vandalizing Machida's body. I'll never forget Lyoto falling unconscious as the ref stopped the fight. Fucking horrible.

silva leg break, that was just terrible.

As a big McGregor fan, and a Aldo.. appreciator not exactly a "fan".

McGregor finishing it like that was so bittersweet, especially watching it in the bar all hyped up.

CroCop losing to Gonzaga
Rampage losing to Forest
Randy getting KOed by Machida
Cat losing to Ronda - her big shot at the title (regardless of her chances) being destroyed so quickly by what I still consider more of a fluke than Ronda's "I just invented those 2 moves"

Back