Sad state of Muay Thai in MMA

I completely agree with you but was just throwing an alternative suggestion to answer TS' OP.
yeah I get you man, and you are not incorrect in what you are saying..... not trying to shit on what you are saying at all

Sorry but this makes no sense.

Even if we're talking proverbial 'baby kicks' a la Frankie Edgar. Not checking, or catching or sliding out of the way of a single low kick equals a lot of free points for your opponent. Yes low kicks score and win plenty of decisions.

Also: MT is a lot more than just throwing and checking low kicks. Why do so few fighter use standing elbows correctly? How is it that hardly anyone knows how to use a teep? Etc. etc........
I agree with your first post and checks are a good exemple.
But not the teeps and elbows as you see them more often. Not everybody does them but they are techniques you see regularly, don t you think?

I understand the 'jack of all trades, master of none' logic but how can the basic MT skills of the average MMA fighter be so poor? How is it possible that two MMA fighters can trade low kicks for three rounds while not checking a single one.

I'm going to single out Kowalkiewicz vs Namajunas as a recent example but you can also apply this to 95% of the men's fights. Ex: how the fuck does a guy like Cote, who has been training at Sityodthong for 8(?) years not know how to check a low kick?

Also: what is with MMA fighters trying to punch their way out of the clinch while the opponent is raping them with knees (again, refer to Kowalkiewicz/Namajunas). I thought we settled this 'what if' scenario in the 80s?

Etc., etc., etc.......

What is the problem here? Are there really no legit MT coaches at MMA gyms? How can even generalist striking trainers not be aware of the importance of this stuff?

And don't give me the 'but TDs/MMA stance/MMA distance' cliche. There are MMA fighters who show some knowledge of basic MT concepts - we actually saw one at work last night: Masvidal. Hell: even Nate showed pretty good checks vs Johnson.
You just answered it... it's not called a cleche. Same types of threads are made by boxing fans, wrestling fans, kickboxing fans, etc...
And yes there are very high level MT coaches in MMA.
Cordero hired 2 of the best MT fighters of the modern era in his gym(arguably top 5), one of them works mitts for RDA.

The damage you eat from a low kick is less than the risk*damage of getting taken down if you check it.

The thai clinch isn't that important to know because greco-roman clinch wrestling generally defeats it.

A lot of muay thai is bad for MMA.

How is it that hardly anyone knows how to use a teep? Etc. etc........

tumblr_o5fsu7kqjs1rofocqo1_500.gif

JDS bless.

"Muay Thai" in an MMA gym, isn't muay thai, it's like some watered down version without elbows and clinch techniques. ALan Jouban (as an example), has a great clinch.

But a lot of fighters think they can just power through leg and body kicks, it's really stupid in the long term.

tumblr_o5fsu7kqjs1rofocqo1_500.gif

JDS bless.

I had a big smile when I saw JDS do this because:

1. I've been bitching about how underused the teep is.
2. I've been shaking my head at Rothwell's (and others) clumsy stance-switching and wondering if someone with a semi-competent teep would ever expose it for the useless BS that it is.

so yeah: bless Junior Payakaroon

Your point wasn't about points scoring. It was about not checking the kicks i.e technique. Don't change the point of your argument.

You don't know the point of my argument or the first thing about MT, hence why you are talking some irrelevant BS about MMA fighters being conditioned to take low kicks.

You don't know the point of my argument or the first thing about MT, hence why you are talking some irrelevant BS about MMA fighters being conditioned to take low kicks.

Stick to longboats dude. Your OP was a load of shit. I stopped reading after you said ''95% of men's fights are the same''.

Stick to longboats dude. Your OP was a load of shit. I stopped reading after you said ''95% of men's fights are the same''.

Thanks for contributing your cheetos-sprinkled basement dweller's opinion on the topic.

You just answered it... it's not called a cleche. Same types of threads are made by boxing fans, wrestling fans, kickboxing fans, etc...
And yes there are very high level MT coaches in MMA.
Cordero hired 2 of the best MT fighters of the modern era in his gym(arguably top 5), one of them works mitts for RDA.

I know that there are exceptions - I pointed this out myself in the OP (as a way of debunking the 'but MT no workie in MMA' rubbish). My question is why this such a rarity in a sport where everyone supposedly trains MT?

Check out this clip of Masvidal getting a beginners lesson on elbows. Judging by what I see in UFC fights, most guys have never even gone to this depth with elbow technique.

Even nowadays, a time when the use of standing elbows in the UFC is picking up, the typical demonstration of a standing elbow in a fight is one guy who sort of knows what he's doing lighting up an opponent who seems shocked and utterly unprepared.

As far as knees go: nearly every guy in the UFC knows how to throw a semblance of a clinch knee but it's rare to see anyone anticipating and blocking or using the opportunity to pull the opponent off-balance.

Checking kicks is a huge one. Seriously, 95% of MMA fighters cannot check a kick to save their lives.

If muay thai is so good then why there are not any muay thai fighters that made a succesful mma transition and earn much more money?

I had a big smile when I saw JDS do this because:

1. I've been bitching about how underused the teep is.
2. I've been shaking my head at Rothwell's (and others) clumsy stance-switching and wondering if someone with a semi-competent teep would ever expose it for the useless BS that it is.

so yeah: bless Junior Payakaroon
Buakaw Benchmak was landing something simialar on Niki Holskin all night long.
Seems even the all times greats of kickboxing need a MT seminar everynow and then, lol.

that trip to thailand before the murr fight sure made a huge difference in oldeReem turn-around

Who's the guy in suidi niqab and hatta in ur avatar pic if he's thai?

I've wondered the same thing. I'm not sure this is just a recent phenomenon in MMA, though. I still find it odd that Rich Franklin was so helpless in Anderson Silva's MT clinch, for example. Really, you can't find any way out of it and you fight at that level?

(Though Silva's being on roids was a significant factor there, in my view.)
It's called technique you twat.

If muay thai is so good then why there are not any muay thai fighters that made a succesful mma transition and earn much more money?
Mma isnt big in thailand and the best guys there live like gods, its their national sport

Plus remember the ufc has no offical selection process for entry so its like asking why there arent more from x country or z dicipline ...theres not any correlation possible until thats fixed

Back