Sad news regarding Bert Cooper

KimbosHernia**

White Belt
Reaction score
I am a huge Bert Cooper fan going way back. He had his personal ups and downs, but he was a very exciting fighter and in some real wars. Mercer and Moorer come to mind, great back and forth battles. I met Bert in 1992 when he fought Rocky Pepeli. He was very friendly, and when no less than Joe Frazier calls you one of the most naturally gifted punchers ever, that is really saying something.

I have been following his comeback (he recently had a fight and won after 8 years away from boxing), and was glad to see that he seemed to have gotten his life in order.

I originally was going to post the following as a good news story, but then I read the update at the end. Very sad.

The "Smokin'" Bert Cooper Story - Up To Date And With An Added Twist!
cooper2.jpg

The "Smokin'" Bert Cooper Story - Up To Date And With An Added Twist!

bert cooperby James Slater: 1990s heavyweight title challenger "Smokin'" Bert Cooper, one-time prot

Mr. Slater
It was a pleasure talking to you and discussing the article for Bert Cooper. Since then things have taken a complete turn around. Bert Cooper, after spending thousands of dollars to get his career started with good professional people, decided he would rather be with the old crowd that pulled him down to his knees. He had a chance of a lifetime. My co manager Leslie at Tocco’s Gym of Las Vegas and I decided to let him go. His former fianc

Shame to read the end bit, but i wish him all the best.

man, I hope he gets it together before the vices become habits again. I'm also a fan from way back and I still have the VHS tape where I taped his fight with Holyfield live. yep, I'm that old

keep fighting Bert!

man, I hope he gets it together before the vices become habits again. I'm also a fan from way back and I still have the VHS tape where I taped his fight with Holyfield live. yep, I'm that old

keep fighting Bert!

Don't feel bad, dude! I just watched the tape of that fight the other day! I remember jumping out of my seat when he knocked Evander down.

Back