S-Mount Question

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by beeran1, Sep 13, 2010.

1. beeran1

beeran1 Purple Belt

I have some difficulty in getting to a good s-mount from a standard mounted position. Basically, once I slide that knee up near my opponent's head, they pull their elbow(s) in tight, so I can't get the other leg under their arm once I make the "s." That make sense? Any tips on how to set this up?

2. Therealmma747**

Therealmma747** Orange Belt

side mount?
    just call it side mount

why would you want to go to sidemount if you already have mount?
    mount is the best position

know honestly, because i think i am strong and kind of am and my weight and stocky build i prefer side mount because i feel i have more control and its hard for people to escape, i also think its easier to transition etc. in mount at times its hard to hold down compared to side mount were i keep my legs far out and switch around when they try to pull me into half guard. however

You should not want to go back to side mount if your in Mount!
    its teaches bad habits!!

thats what i have been told. yes you are supposed to go for bread and butter, but you should train yourself to be more dominate from mount, sense mount is far more useful

3. greasemonk3

greasemonk3 Amateur Fighter

Side mount and S-mount are two different positions.

To the TS, if you are having trouble sliding your opposite leg under their arm then you could always try grabbing their sleeve and pulling their arm up, making space for your leg.

4. Wrestleben

Wrestleben Brown Belt

:icon_conf

s-mount is not side mount, it is a type of full mount.

5. tysnw

tysnw Brown Belt

lol..not side mount

s mount. aka technical mount

[​IMG]

6. crocoppertones

crocoppertones Silver Belt

lolz @ "side mount":

you should really be focusing on pulling the head as tight to your knee as you can, making it uncomfortable, before, during, and after you bring your first knee up.. with both hands and then, if needed,grab the back of the far side tricep and pull it towards you

7. SpunK238

SpunK238 Orange Belt

^^^:redface:^^^

Anyway... there's a few ways to get into S-mount, but something to apply in general is to always analyze your position, figure out what's in your way and options around it. I'll give you a quick video, this isn't necessarily what I do, but it's an option to play with so I don't have to type up a bunch (short on time)...take care and good luck!
    YouTube - BJJ Techniques: Submission options from the S-Mount

8. beeran1

beeran1 Purple Belt

Lol, thanks guys.

9. Cojofl

Cojofl Brown Belt

I thought s mount and technical mount differ in that you bring your inside foot to the mat on the latter?

10. Sayian

Sayian Blue Belt

S-mount is not technical mount..

technical mount is the first pic in this slide
    [​IMG]

and pablo papovitch.. hes sexy, no homo
    [​IMG]

11. Gerbiljiujitsu

Gerbiljiujitsu Purple Belt

before you start to make the transition put one thumb in the collar and lift up on the head and neck with that grip. It will cut down a lot of his hip movement and may make things easier for you.

12. loop_choke

loop_choke White Belt

S mount is one of my go-to positions.

I like transitioning to S mount by setting up the front collar choke from mount. I start by getting my knees pretty high into his armpits, then open his right lapel with my left hand, shove my right hand deep down his collar, 4 fingers in, almost grabbing behind his neck. Then I drop all my weight on my right forearm, putting pressure straight down his sternum (this prevents him from blocking the choke), hand slightly bent and grabbing the gi tight.

At this point, most guys anticipate the choke and will try to block with their right hand, and by doing so, they slightly raise their right elbow. You can at this point shove their elbow across their chest using your left hand, or you can lower your torso and scoop his right elbow and push it across his body using your chest (using your chest allows you to keep your left arm free for base). As you drive his elbow across his chest, you should simultaneously slide your left knee up and tight around his head.

At this point, you should still be holding on to that collar with your right hand, his right elbow should be trapped by your groin and your left knee tight by his head. From here, using your left hand, grab his left elbow and pull up, creating space for you to turn your right shin (form the S with your legs) and tightly place it under his left armpit.

Remember not to sit on your left shin, as this leaves you with no base behind you and you'll get swept pretty easily. Instead, keep your left shin sticking out directly behind you, providing base behind you, similar to a kickstand.

At this point you have options to arm bar either arm, key locks or finish the choke.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  13. JarMan

JarMan Orange Belt

Great set up, loopchoke.

Here's what I like to do. I start with a low S-mount, meaning I'm not under the armpits yet. So if I'm sitting to my left side (on the right side of his body), I will use my right hand to control the pants near the knee of his left leg. Sometimes I can bait the opponent into putting his left hand under my right leg. This gives me a mounted triangle. I should mention that with this low S-Mount I am actually sitting on his stomach as opposed to a traditional S-Mount where a lot of my weight is on my knee.

If he doesn't take the bait, I start messing with his right wrist with my left hand. First thing I'll try is to shove it under my left leg while stepping over with my knee. This gives me a mounted triangle again, but from the other side. Sometimes he will defend this by bringing the right hand/arm close to his head or neck. That's when I grab the sleeve and push it away so that it turns him to his side and away from me. This gives me the space to slide my left knee up close to his head.

Once here, I like to control the farm arm by pulling the elbow towards me hard and then sliding my far leg under the shoulder to cinch up the S-Mount. From a tight S-Mount I like to alternate between controlling his pants at the far knee and pulling the sleeve near his elbow or forearm on his far arm (sometimes both at the same time). These two grips give a ton of control and make the transition to the armbar very simple.

14. Ragno

Ragno Orange Belt

lol

15. millasur

millasur Blue Belt

thanks loopchoke will try this, i am sheeeet at finishin from the mount. (no base fail).

16. 256

256 Purple Belt

easiest transition for me is when the guy tries to shrimp. I try to bait him into it so I can just slide into position.