S mount Help!!

Macca97

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, recently I've been loving the s mount as armbars are my go to, but I've been finding bigger dudes (even some smaller ones too) being able to turn back square with me and put me back into full mount, obviously I'm doing something wrong because the position feels pretty tight so yea basically I'm looking for a rundown on the s mount and how you can cancel their movement.

Also as a secondary question, what do you guys think about a smaller guy (me) at 68kg using this against guy much bigger than me or would it just not work

I'm no expert, but I know when I have s-mount the biggest thing in my success on the position relies on controlling their far arm, keeping my knee tight to their head/shoulder, and controlling them with my far leg that is underhooking their armpit.

Make sure you monitor the heal that is in front of there belt line/hips. Its a good habit to get it as close as possible to there body. If there is space they can get back flat, or they can escape by putting both arms under that same leg and get out the back door/create a scramble.

Good luck

S mount is one of my favorite techniques from the top, I like to threaten some sort of choke to set it up, get the guy to bring his arms up a bit to defend giving me room to slide up to a high mount and then to the S mount. The key is you want to make sure your knee and your foot are touching and you are kind of turning a little of an angle to make sure they are touching (this clamps their arms and traps them)

I usually finish the armbar without falling back. Here's a video of me hitting it in a tournament:

[YT]0ttqOSbHzX4[/YT]

It's about 1:38 into the video.

I'm a fan of the s-mount as well.. something that helps me against bigger guys is to make sure my back leg (the one that will go around the head for the armbar) is turned enough that it forms a base so I don't get bucked off so easily

Are you sure that the foot of the leg with the knee closest to the ground is flared out sufficiently?

And that you're putting enough weight on your opponent? Many people put too much weight on their feet and knee, instead of putting 99% of it on their opponents and just using their feet for balance rather than weight bearing...

I'd say you gotta keep your leg behind them tighter to their back leaving them no space to turn back on their back.

I feel like most of us learn positions differently.

Habitually, I pick up s mount from head and arm after a failed katagatame. So with my arm behind the head, I slide my arm up, and grip the back of their neck while pulling their head up and into my lap. So if I have my right arm behind your head, I'm pulling you up onto my left thigh while switching to s mount and using my left arm to hook your near arm.

Just from that, it controls their near shoulder and head. It also opens opens up a triangle if the guy is panicked enough to reach under your opposite leg.

Anyhow, from there I reach for the other triceps and get my other leg curled a bit tighter to get full control.

Against bigger guys, I always tell smaller guys to ride them like a wave. You can't control a wave, you can only adjust and ride it to avoid getting wiped out. So my suggestion is to just pull their head onto your lap and deep hook their arm. Lotta guys will try to under hook your other leg. Great. Free triangle. Others will turn away. Great, easier armbar. And if they try to square back up, step over for a mounted triangle.

The biggest key I learned to ensure proper pressure on the s-mount is to focus on pressure through the knee on the ground, driving into the guy, instead of trying to focus on "hugging" the guy with the leg that is curved underneath him.

You should be perpendicular to him, and your knee should be tight against him too. Focus your pressure there instead of focusing on pulling the guy in. That is what actually stops him from turning in or getting square again.

Seriously, this made my s-mount go from a crap shoot to reliably holding the position and getting armbars.

Back