Law S. Dakota governor threatens Native Tribes , demands they remove checkpoints

If there are white males and minority males who apply for the same job, and the hiring committee gives extra points to minority males for being minorities, then that's racial discrimination.

Is this really that complicated to you that it was over your head, or are you just trolling at this point?

Again you seem to ignore that White Hispanic males get AA. You also ignore that discrimination is entrenched and AA is a attempt to try and balance societal discrimination and uplift historically disadvantaged groups.

I asked you in the other thread what % of jobs are reserved for AA but I did not notice a figure provided by you, and this matters because you make this out to be a big deal.

Is there any proof natives are more susceptible to the corona?
I believe they were more susceptible to new(to them) diseases such as influenza, measles and smallpox but the corona is new for everybody.

Now to all those trying to derail the thread away from the Governor's demands , how about we stick to the topic.

Or maybee going off on a tangent and not sticking to the topic is an attempt by some of you to avoid critiquing the Republican governor ????

Is there any proof natives are more susceptible to the corona?
I believe they were more susceptible to new(to them) diseases such as influenza, measles and smallpox but the corona is new for everybody.
They have abysmal medical care facilities on the reservations. The articles say their nearest ICU and critical care facilities are 3 hours away. So they have to be extra vigilant, they can't be lax about this virus like South Dakota is.

The governor wants to force the Natives to allow outsiders to pass through / enter their reservations. According to the NPR article she has no legal grounds to do this.

Your article from 1960 surely captures the thinking of modern day gun owners...

Lol... Right... I swear some of these people want racism to be worse than it is. They try and piggy back of off the struggle that POC went through pre=civil rights movement; all while creating a segregated safe space from their Ivy league dorm. I find that it to be disrespectful to the people that actually struggled.

I'm not saying that racism doesn't exists, but the vast majority of white people don't give a shit what anybody's skin color is anymore. No matter how many times you stress to these types how you believe in equality and were taught from a young age (from family, school, peers, and media) that racism is unacceptable you are still going to get the, "Hurr durr... Muh Stormfront... Hurr Durr... Muh 4Chan'' retort.

Again you seem to ignore that White Hispanic males get AA. You also ignore that discrimination is entrenched and AA is a attempt to try and balance societal discrimination and uplift historically disadvantaged groups.

I asked you in the other thread what % of jobs are reserved for AA but I did not notice a figure provided by you, and this matters because you make this out to be a big deal.

This is handwaving. Your attempt to obfuscate the fact that treating job applicants less favorably because they're white by bringing up the fact that white women get affirmative action is nothing short of sophistry. You don't actually think people can't see through that bullshit, do you?

On Sunday, a bipartisan group of South Dakota legislators whose districts include tribal lands said in a letter to Noem, "Your statement that Tribal governments do not possess the ability to establish checkpoints within the boundaries of their homelands is not accurate."

They said that the Fort Laramie Treaties of 1851 and 1868 gave tribes such powers. The legislators also said a 1990 opinion by the 8th Circuit Court of Appeals said the state has no jurisdiction over highways running through Native American land without tribal consent

https://www.npr.org/sections/corona...-between-south-dakota-governor-tribal-leaders
--

The governor should fcuk off !

This is functionally a question of jurisdiction. It seems like that state has no jurisdiction over the checkpoints and can vocally oppose them all she wants, but she has no right to take any action to stop them.

Everyone loves sovereignty until its the brown, black or red man exercising it.
I liked your post even though i dont agree with it. White people like it for themselves even less tbh <Lmaoo>

Anyone can claim to have voted for anyone, all we can know is the general sentiment expressed here by posters .

Whites are still the dominant majority. And part of the reason for the decreasing White % is that before the Nixon admin Hispanics were classified as White. It is absurd to say Whites are facing anything remotely close to the Native situations. How does the dominant majority claim to be on the same footing as Natives? This kind of bizarro world only exists in the mind of White supremacists / White Nationalists.

You are indirectly advocating for their slow motion genocide by claiming they can not have their own tribal nations, because a tiny group can be subsumed by the larger group.
That's a small part of the reason. The main reason is that in 65 non-white migration was allowed in the US. Before that the demographics were roughly 88% white, 10% black, 1% asian, 1% native. Sure, some of these whites were hispanics but the vast majority of hispanics are relative recent migrants from Mexico, Cuba and Central America. Now it seems they classify some hispanics as white and others as "other race" as you don't have the mestizo category in the Census, even then whites, with these hispanics added, are 72% of the population.
You can pick straws, for example, a lot of registered natives are white, blonde and blue-eyed. But the general trend is for a reduction of the white percentage of the US population. In the long run, excluding massive immigration from Africa, there will be also a reduction of the black population in percentage terms.
Of course, the indigenous are on a much worse footing and are a irrelevant demographical factor nowadays and they're also killing themselves with drugs, alcohol, suicides and low birth rates.

This is handwaving. Your attempt to obfuscate the fact that treating job applicants less favorably because they're white by bringing up the fact that white women get affirmative action is nothing short of sophistry. You don't actually think people can't see through that bullshit, do you?

You are again deliberately ignoring that Whites are largest recipients of AA.

The rightwing primarily associate AA with Blacks and to a lesser extent Hispanics. They always ignore that certain White demographics also receive AA, and in raw numbers are the largest eligible AA beneficieries.

The rightwing primarily associate AA with Blacks and to a lesser extent Hispanics. They always ignore that certain White demographics also receive AA, and in raw numbers are the largest eligible AA beneficieries.

I'm not ignoring anything. I'm a white male. If I apply for a job and am disadvantaged vis a vis minority applicants for being white, then the institution that makes the hiring decision is engaging in racial discrimination against me.

Let's say that a member of a native tribe mixes with an American white person. At first it is 50-50, right? That we can agree upon. But as generations pass on, there happen to be a lot more American whites than there are American natives. And we are not talking 60-40 here, we're talking more like 99 to 1. It won't be long until that native heritage has all but disappeared, as those people keep inter-mixing with one another, first the natives with whites, and then the mix-race persons with whites, and then just basically whites with whites, to the point where the native DNA is now, ultimately, just an exotic occurrence in somebody's DNA test, someone like Elizabeth Warren for example. A remnant of the past. None of the native attributes manifest themselves. They don't contribute to how a person is shaped, and which attributes they possess. And ultimately, these shapes and attributes basically disappear from history, and no longer occur in the real-world, just like a species of animals that goes extinct.
You think your kid is less your kid if it happens to be a mixed race? That's pretty fucked up.

If AA disproportionately benefits whites, shouldn't we get rid of it?

That's a small part of the reason. The main reason is that in 65 non-white migration was allowed in the US. Before that the demographics were roughly 88% white, 10% black, 1% asian, 1% native. Sure, some of these whites were hispanics but the vast majority of hispanics are relative recent migrants from Mexico, Cuba and Central America. Now it seems they classify some hispanics as white and others as "other race" as you don't have the mestizo category in the Census, even then whites, with these hispanics added, are 72% of the population.
You can pick straws, for example, a lot of registered natives are white, blonde and blue-eyed. But the general trend is for a reduction of the white percentage of the US population. In the long run, excluding massive immigration from Africa, there will be also a reduction of the black population in percentage terms.
Of course, the indigenous are on a much worse footing and are a irrelevant demographical factor nowadays and they're also killing themselves with drugs, alcohol, suicides and low birth rates.

Yes the White % has decreased but the point is that Whites are the clear and dominant demographic and there is no reason to think that is going to change in the near future . So for @Hadron90 to try and claim Natives and White on comparable footing , i.e. 'white genocide' fears , is rather absurd.

Yes the White % has decreased but the point is that Whites are the clear and dominant demographic and there is no reason to think that is going to change in the near future . So for @Hadron90 to try and claim Natives and White on comparable footing , i.e. 'white genocide' fears , is rather absurd.

If the white % is decreasing, is there any reason to think it isn't going to continue? Seems like the whites and Natives share the same problem, just on different timelines.

I'm not ignoring anything. I'm a white male. If I apply for a job and am disadvantaged vis a vis minority applicants for being white, then the institution that makes the hiring decision is engaging in racial discrimination against me.

Yes you are, but you also enjoy positive discrimination by employers and society, and have a higher change of receiving the benefit of the doubt while Blacks and Native looking Hispanics are less likely to ebjoy this.

You might get hired by an employer because he prefers White employees or someone who is not Black or Native. Society is discriminatory. Things are a lot better than back in the 60s and 70s, but discrimination did not vanish, a lot of it just went underground and people became smarter in how they discriminate.

How would that work? When you apply for a job, you submit your parents' tax returns from when you were a youth to the hiring committee?

Its more clear cut for college admissions than for jobs.

Back