S & C the Westside way

Yo man, I finally caught up on reading your log. Your deads! Great job man, not long till you hit 315 right?
As for your cycling, you're an animal, I love the golf tournament log.
Man, enjoy that brutal rowing workout you'll find it helps deliver power in your core.
I'm going for another cycle today.

Oh, if you get the chance watch some of the common wealth games. I've been watching the weightlifting, the snatch was amazing, and boxing with a little hammer throw, discus, and archery. Tonight I will try and catch some ping-pong.
Keep up the good work Kmonk

Oh, if you get the chance watch some of the common wealth games.
I second that! Did you see the Sri Lankan guy in the 62kg category who dislocated his elbow holding 125kg overhead? It was in the snatch.

He kept holding it til he got the releash signal and then ran off into the back rooms. Fucking crazy!

I second that! Did you see the Sri Lankan guy in the 62kg category who dislocated his elbow holding 125kg overhead? It was in the snatch.

He kept holding it til he got the releash signal and then ran off into the back rooms. Fucking crazy!

That was amazing! I love the snatch lift. Did you see the woman in the clean and jerk who rested the bar on her shoulders to high and cut off her blood supply and blacked out? That was pretty tight. I am getting people around me to enjoy watching the lifting as well. If an athlete wants to excel in their sport they must get down on some power lifting. Sprinters, high jumpers, soccer players whatever, they've got to get under some iron and lift. It's also one of the oldest sport competitions the greeks saw some heavy stones and challenged each other to see who could lift that shizz. What a sport.

The best battle I saw so far was Papa nu Guinea vs Nigeria, Ekmo blew the 185 clean and jerk and failed out bumping the aussies to silver and India to bronze.

I also watched some 68kg women's wrestling. Canada vs Nigeria was good.

Takezo, I haven't had a chance to see any of the games; I haven't been around a TV, and all my attention has been on the Giants and the MBL playoffs. I've got to get to the pub to watch that lifting!

October 2nd Distance Bike Ride

15 Miles in 1:04:00

Did a straightforward ride this morning with some moderate hills. I found myself out by Francis Ford Coppola's winery, soI took a spin around the property. Construction is almost complete and the building looks imposing and awesome. Also, they don't like bike riders cutting through the construction sites.

In the afternoon, I took a ten mile hike on the slopes around Lake Sonoma. Fall is hiking season in them hills!

Last edited:
October 3rd - Max effort lower body

Warmup on stationary bike- 5 miles in 15:20

Deadlifts: 6 sets, worked up to 235 for 4
Walking lunges: 60 lbs, 4 sets, 12-12-12-11
Good mornings: 75 lbs, 4 sets, 10-10-10-8
front forearm curls/ Rev. forearm curls: 65 lbs, 3 sets, 10/25, 10/25, 10/22
roman chair crunches: 18-15-15

This was the third week for this workout, and thus the final day for deadlifts. I really wanted to finish strong, especially with my progress from the previous week. I worked up to 215 and then racked 235 before busting out four reps. As an encore, I added ten pounds to my previous walking lunge weight and performed four grinding sets with strict form.
Looking back at my old notebook entries, I saw that 235 for 5 reps was my previous high water mark- it looks like I'll be setting a personal best next time deads come up in the rotation.

October 4th Ten mile sprint ride

-20 min. warm-up ride
-10 miles in 0:35:50
-20 min. cool-down ride

Among the recommended tools for improving distance riding is a weekly 10 mile ride in as little time as possible. Currently, my time is embarrassing, but this week I at least managed to noticeably improve upon my iron-clad average of 4 min miles with a 3.6 min/mile time!

October 5th - Max Repetition Upper Body

Warmup: 1.5 miles running

Bar Pushups: 5 sets to failure
French Press: 60lbs, 3 sets, 8-8-8
Parallel grip lat pulldowns: 120lbs, 4 sets, 12-12-11-10
Lateral raises: 15lbs, 3 sets, 15-13-13
barbell curls: 55lbs, 3 sets, 8-8-7
abdominal circuit x2: sprinter situps, v-ups, toe touches, leg lifts x20 ea.

Yea man, those deads are going off. Let's see that bike.

October 6th Distance Bike Ride

20 miles in 1:16:30

I liked my time on this ride, but honestly this was a pretty flat 20 miles, with little wind. Still an improvement, tho!

October 8th -Max Effort upper body

Warmup- 1.5 mile run

Close-grip bench: worked up to max effort set of 135 for 5 reps
Incline Dumbbell press: 45 lbs (x2), 4 sets, 10-10-10-8
Seated cable rows: 110lbs, 4 sets, 13-15-15-15
1-arm rear delt cable flys: 20 lbs, 2 sets, 12-12
Hanging leg raises: 3 sets, 12-12-12

First workout of the new cycle! I'm only going to be doing these workouts for two weeks instead of 3, because the primary movements (close-grip bench and box squats) are more like supporting movements for the major compound exercises (bench and squat.)

Max effort upper went well, but frankly I want to crush the numbers on every one of these movements next week.

October 9th Golf

It seems like we've had a heat wave the past two weekends in which I've been able to play golf. It's been punishing, but at least my sauna-like sweating has made these rounds more like actual exercise.

I hit 90 balls at the range, and then played 9 with my buddy. We were jammed behind three groups of absolute creepers, and not a single person came on the course after us for the duration of our round. This allowed us to play 2 and sometimes three balls per hole. We also played some holes multiple times, so this ended up as an excellent practice round.

October 10th - Max effort lower body

Warmup on stationary bike- 5 miles in 14:20

Box Squats: 5 warmup sets, worked up to 125 for 5, 135 for 4
Barbell step ups w/knee lift: 85 lbs, 4 sets, 12-12-12-11
Romanian DL: 135 lbs, 3 sets, 10-10-10
Plate Pinch gripping: 2x5lbs, 3 sets, :50,:55,:45
Incline bench medicine ball twists: 30-30-30

First day of a new workout! I always have a nervous energy when I'm performing a new movement or one I haven't done in a long time, especially big compound exercises. I was definitely jazzed up on my warm-up ride, and I had to restrain myself so I didn't sprint the whole thing and burn myself out.

Obviously my first day results were disappointing in terms of weight, but I had a great time challenging my muscles to explode as hard as possible, rep after rep. Box squats have always been a lot of fun for me- I'm just hoping to channel that into some gains next Sunday.

Just wanted to make a note that, as of my last post, I have finally caught up with my workouts! I'm really going to make an effort to make my posts on the day or day after each workout. I guess we'll see how long that lasts...

Yo KMONK, looking good, I liek to see the golf updates too. Love to read your journal so tell me what is up! I myself have had nothign productive to log as of late, but im going to be back on it after i have to take a short trip this week.

October 12th - Golf

Played nine holes at Glen Eagle in San Francisco. This has to be the longest nine hole course in the country; it boasts two par fives, including the legendary 600 yard sixth hole.

I was looking forward to a nice, cool round on the links, but a heat wave hit this week, and the course was roasting by 11am. The round ultimately degenerated into a battle against the heat, and I was seriously feeling it by the seventh. Still I ended up okay, hitting every fairway and shooting 10 over.

October 13th - Max Repetition Upper Body

Warmup: 1.5 miles running

Max rep bench press: 95 pounds, 3 sets, 25-18-12
Rope Pressdowns: 90lbs, 3 sets, 10-10-10
asst. pull ups: 4 sets, 12-12-12-11
Front shrugs: 155lbs- 10, 165lbs- 10, 175- 10-12
1-arm cable curls: 30lbs, 3 sets, 10-10-10
abdominal circuit x2: bicycles, toe touches, butterfly crunches, oblique crunches

October 14th Bike Ride

8.5mi in 31 min

This was my first ride on the new bike. I don't have all my gear, so I can't do any really long rides, but I definitely wanted to put in some time immediately.

So far, it's much, much faster than my other bike.

October 15th Bike Ride

9.5 mi in 33 min

October 16th -Max Effort upper body

Warmup- 1.5 mile run

Close-grip bench: worked up to max effort set of 145 for 4 reps
Incline Dumbbell press: 50 lbs (x2), 4 sets, 10-9-8
Seated cable rows: 110lbs, 4 sets, 15-15-15-12
1-arm rear delt cable flys: 20 lbs, 2 sets, 12-12
Hanging leg raises: 3 sets, 12-12-12

Back