S & C the Westside way

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Kmonk, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Kmonk

Kmonk Green Belt

I've been lifting off and on for about 10 years now while training in a variety of athletic disciplines, primarily in the martial arts. I've been extremely consistent in that I have always been doing at least one of these two things, if not both of them during that time period- until last year.

I began taking classes again last fall, and amidst the new demands on my schedule I cut my regimen back to a couple judo classes a week, and by winter I was completely inactive. In the spring of this year I began a basic routine that consisted of some moderate cardio and a simple three day weight training split (chest/back; lower body; arms/shoulders.) It offered general maintenance, but by mid summer I realized that I was stagnating badly in every area. I needed to inject some life into my workout.

In the midst of reanalyzing my approach, forum member ChinBo37 suggested that I establish a training log to record my progress and receive valuable advice from other gym warriors and workout gurus (primarily himself.) This log will hopefully serve as a testament to the years of labor invested in a body well-earned.

I will record my daily efforts in two areas: nutrition (and supplementation) and workouts. My workouts will have a focus on either strength or cardio.

I have had some great success with the Westside for Skinny Bastards program in the past, and my goal is to follow the WSFSB original program until mid fall, at which point I will begin the third iteration of the program; the major difference is the inclusion of a second leg day in the weekly split.

My cardio workouts are generally varied, consisting of either biking, running, or boxing. For the time being I have a heavy bag and speed bag at my gym, so I want to do some drills at least one day a week. Outside of this, my cardio focus will rest heavily on biking. I've recently become interested in road biking, and I want to train to compete in some centuries by Spring 2011. The only problem is that I am still trying to find a proper bike. Until then, I'll be pushing a hybrid on 20 mile rides; it does at least have the advantage of forcing me to haul 20 pounds of excess weight.

So, here are my stats and objectives:

6'5" / 196cm
    220lbs / 100kg

-I'm trying to shave off 12-15 pounds (8-10 of fat) and then go into straight muscle building mode
    -I want to condition my body to the point that I can ride 100 miles without dying

Obviously, these will become much more specific, and will be supported by smaller goals from week to week.

Please offer any and all advice that springs to mind, and follow my search for a quality road bike at a rock bottom price. No doubt it should be hilarious.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  2. Kmonk

Kmonk Green Belt

Alright- first post already:

9/19: Westside split, day 2 of 3- legs

Bike 3mi for warm-up

Deadlift: six sets, worked to a max set of 205 for 5 reps.
    Walking lunges: Carried 50 pounds, 4 sets, 24 steps each
    good mornings: 65 pounds, 3 sets, 10 reps
    Forearms, 55lbs: front curls, 10 reps; reverse curls, 20 reps
    -super set w/ 20 rep sets of crunches on a roman chair

15 mins stretching

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  3. dexbot

dexbot chest press = sexiness

Welcome and wow, you got 220lbs packed on 77cm....
    J/K I think you forgot to add a whole metre.

4. ChinBo37

ChinBo37 Black Belt

Nice log homie! Although I really wanted you to start one so I can force you onto the board to give me advice :icon_chee

5. LZD

LZD Purple Belt

Well, 6'5" is a beastly 196cms so more than a whole metre. Fuck, you're a giant! Welcome.

6. Takezo

Takezo White Belt

Nice lifting. You are very tall. Good luck with the bike.

7. Kmonk

Kmonk Green Belt

lol- sorry, I've been giving my total in inches lately. 196cm is definitely more accurate!

8. Kmonk

Kmonk Green Belt

9/20

Today's workout consisted of biking- 24.5 miles in 1 hr 38

I average a four minute mile when I'm riding- in fact I have hit this number down to the second since I started pacing myself with an odometer. My goal is to drop this down to a 3:30 mile while I'm still riding this monstrous rig.

Also to note: I began coming down with a cold today, but currently my plan is to still hit the gym tomorrow for repetition upper body. Any suggestions for cold remedies or useful energy boosting supplements would be much appreciated.

9. ChinBo37

ChinBo37 Black Belt

2 EmergenCs, followed by 1 every 4 hours, multivitam, garlic tabs or a couple of meals loaded with garlic that has been only lightly toasted on the stove (for example, make a stir fry but add in the garlic at the end so it doesnt get burned and is only barely cooked). Raw or lightly steamed broccoli.

10. Kmonk

Kmonk Green Belt

Thanks for the tips, Chin!

So I did in fact get the cold I was expecting, but my preventative efforts have kept it at a relatively manageable level. I did, however, go to bed early last night and didn't enter my log.

September 21

Started the day with 18 holes at the Metro Links. Unfortunately we had carts, but I made up for it by taking tons of swings :icon_cry2

I hit the gym that evening:

Westside Split day 3 of 3: max repetition upper body

Warmup: 5 miles on the bike at a medium pace

Bar Pushups: 5 sets to failure
    French Press: 55lbs, 3 sets, 10-10-9
    Parallel grip lat pulldowns: 110lbs, 4 sets, 12-12-12-12
    Lateral raises: 15lbs, 3 sets, 15-13-12
    barbell curls: 45lbs, 3 sets, 10-10-8
    abdominal circuit x2: sprinter situps, v-ups, toe touches, leg lifts x20 ea.

Cooldown: 20 mins static stretching

I felt OK in the gym, but I used the last of my energy to finish the workout, and barely managed to stuff my face before crashing at home.

I felt like ass when I woke up, but I'm slowly improving. I'm considering moving my active rest day to today, and completing today's biking workout later in the week.

11. Takezo

Takezo White Belt

Nice man. You've got a strong work out going. Shame you have such a weak immune system. If only you could strengthen your cells not to get every cold they come in contact with.
    Are you ever training on a stationary bike or are you always hitting the pavement? You ought to send me a picture of your awesome bike.

12. Kmonk

Kmonk Green Belt

^

I'm pretty disappointed with my inability to prevent this cold- my normal antioxidant load prevents all but the most virulent illnesses. Unfortunately, a disgusting friend dragged some mutant bug up from huntington beach and I just remained in its proximity for too long. I'll eat a few more oranges next time.

All my long distance rides are outdoors, but I do intervals on a stationary at the gym. I'll get you that photo- it should be good for a laugh.

13. Kmonk

Kmonk Green Belt

September 24th - Max effort upper body

I was out of town last night and didn't have a chance to drop this in first, so here are yesterday's numbers.

15 min bike warmup at an easy pace

Incline bench: work up to a max effort set of 135 for 4 reps
    Flat Dumbbell press: 50 lbs, 3 sets, 9-9-9
    Bent Over Rows: 95lbs, 4 sets, 14-13-13-13
    Rear delt machine flys: 65 lbs, 3 sets, 12-12-11
    Barbell russian twists: 10lbs, 3 sets, 13-13-13

I felt a little numb and kind of stuffy headed into the gym due to the medications I had taken the previous two days. Fortunately, I didn't notice any (additional) muscle weakness or any fatigue later in the workout. In fact, I think the numbness helped me to push out extra reps, particularly on flat dumbbells and rows. I also got in some nice deep stretching and worked out out some soreness in my groin and inner thighs that had been lingering since earlier in the week.

All in all, a pretty decent workout.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  14. Kmonk

Kmonk Green Belt

September 25th - Distance bike ride

Today's workout sucked ass. My throat and lungs still feel pretty blocked up from the tail end of this cold, but i figured it was time to get back on the bike. I planned a 30-40 mile ride out in the valleys and set off late this morning.

I started out fairly strong, primarily because my legs were so fresh from lack of work this week. It got ugly quickly- by eight or nine miles out, I really started to feel my lungs working out.

At ten miles I hit a series of steep climbs that covered about a two mile stretch. By the time I crested the last rise, I was wheezing badly and started hacking out ugly, ragged coughs. Pulling up against a hedge, I stumbled off my bike and doubled over in the gravel, spewing out streamers of opaque mucus punctuated by thick brownish-green chunks of what I can only assume was decaying lung tissue.

Ignoring the drunken taunts echoing from the windows of local wine tourists, I collected myself off the shoulder and turned onto a cutoff which gave me an easy three mile ride home.

Not the most inspiring workout- but on the bright side, I think I broke up a lot of that congestion. Here's hoping I'm back to 100% by monday!

15. Kmonk

Kmonk Green Belt

September26th - Max effort lower body

Warmup on stationary bike- 5 miles in 14:30

Deadlifts: 6 sets, worked up to 215 for 5 reps, then 225 for 5 reps
    Walking lunges: 50 lbs, 4 sets, 15-14-14-12
    Good mornings: 75 lbs, 3 sets, 10-10-10
    front forearm curls/ Rev. forearm curls: 65 lbs, 3 sets, 10/20, 10/20, 10/20
    roman chair crunches: 17-15-14

Had a great day in the gym today. I began with a biking warmup, intending to ease back into my workouts after recovering from my illness. My legs felt so fresh from the time off that I was soon cranking out miles at an aggressive pace.

I took that momentum directly into my weightlifting workout. I powered through my working sets with no trouble, and actually felt stronger as I increased weight. I had initially planned to hit 3 reps on my my final working set because I moved up to 215 this week. Instead, I simply jammed out four reps and pulled up a fifth with a little bit more effort.

After finishing the set, my mind turned to a conversation I had with Chinbo earlier in the day, in which he urged me to pull 225 during my workout. With that encouragement as motivation, I loaded on another 10 pounds and cranked out another strong 5 rep set.

*One note: I keep forgetting to weigh myself in the AM. Please remind me to do so if I forget.

16. Kmonk

Kmonk Green Belt

September 27th Golf/Bike Workout

I was invited to play in a golf tournament with a 4-man scramble format. Little did I know that this would actually turn into a test of will and physical endurance.

As I watched the thermometer crest 90 degrees by 8:30 in the morning, I knew I would be in for a long day. The tourney didn't dissappoint: 18 holes in 110 degree heat with a bare minimum of wind. My shirt was rocking sweat stains on the stomach and chest before I even swung a club. Other competitors looked like they were struggling just getting out of their carts on the first hole.

As the clock struck one and the sun rose to its highest point in the sky, the competition revealed itself for what it truly was: a battle between man and nature. The stakes? Your sanity. The best among us simply turned inwards, stopped talking and focused on the shot. Other worthy competitors began gulping Michelob ultra as if it were sweet ambrosia in an attempt to lower core temperatures. The rest were left to fend for themselves and let the madness overtake them. Seriously, on the eighth hole I witnessed a fat man remove his shirt and pour the contents of a Kirkland-brand water bottle over his head and shoulders. (Earlier, I had witnessed the same man loudly complaining to tourney officials that a regional spare the air day would interfere with his ability to consume a properly barbequed steak at the post-tournament dinner.)

It took two refills of a liter water bottle, a premixed protein/dextrose beverage on ice, and two turnkey sandwiches, but I made it through alive- and my group tied for first place to boot.

It had cooled off by the time I returned home, so I pushed out a 15.2 mile ride on the road in 58 minutes

17. ChinBo37

ChinBo37 Black Belt

great job on lifting and battling through that golf tournament? Which course did you play? Also how much do you weigh?

18. Kmonk

Kmonk Green Belt

I can't believe how long its been since I logged a workout, but as big Mike said yesterday at the gym, " It doesn't matter what time you show up, so long as you show up." Fortunately, I've still been completing my workouts, so its just a matter of posting them up!

Chinbo: I weighed 218 after I took a dump this morning. Thanks for asking! We played San Geronimo, which was new to me. There is absolutely no wind in those valleys, and it was roasting.

September 28th - Max Repetition Upper Body

Warmup: 1.5 miles running

Bar Pushups: 5 sets to failure
    French Press: 55lbs, 3 sets, 10-10-9
    Parallel grip lat pulldowns: 120lbs, 4 sets, 12-11-10-9
    Lateral raises: 15lbs, 3 sets, 15-13-13
    barbell curls: 45lbs, 3 sets, 10-10-9
    abdominal circuit x2: sprinter situps, v-ups, toe touches, leg lifts x20 ea.

19. Kmonk

Kmonk Green Belt

September 29th Distance Bike Ride

31 Miles in 2:07:30

It would have liked to ride this in a little bit less time- sub 2 hours was my goal. On the other hand, this was one of the hottest days of the year. The last five miles were directly into hot wind, and it seriously crushed whatever physical endurance I had at that point.

Still a fun ride.

20. Kmonk

Kmonk Green Belt

October 1st -Max Effort upper body

Warmup- 1.5 mile run

Incline bench: work up to max effort sets of 135 for 5 reps; 145 for 3
    Flat Dumbbell press: 50 lbs, 3 sets, 10-10-9
    Bent Over Rows: 95lbs, 4 sets, 15-14-14-13
    Rear delt machine flys: 75 lbs, 3 sets, 12-11-11
    Barbell russian twists: 15lbs, 3 sets, 12-12-12

This was my first strong weightlifting day post-sickness. I was breathing well after my run, and had good energy on most of my lifts. I went up twenty pounds on incline during this phase of my workout, but I think most of that was due to that fact that I hadn't done incline in several months and quickly became acclimated. Nevertheless, I like my results thus far for max effort upper body. Next week will incorporate flat bench press as the primary movement.