Economy S and P 500 and Nasdaq close at all time highs.

This is obvious to me now. A lot of posters hide behind the guise of intelligence and being above others on a high horse kind of way. Two simultaneous notifications from @Lowmanproblems and @Trotsky only prove my point

You literally can’t reason with them. Can’t even stand back and enjoy a good thing

Another empty post that has nothing to do with the topic. @Trotsky is a legitimately, smart individual. I'm just a blue collar bum, that only post while drink Miller lite. Still I have provided more on the topic at hand than you ever did, sad really.

When did you start 1st grade?

giphy.gif

I probably wouldn't celebrate breaking even over 6 months.

Twitter not a surprise with all the drama going on and if you think this is a sign of a safe economy keep blowing your horn while profits are lower or loses have increased on more then 50 percent of the companies on the exchanges. Media focuses on fewer positive stories and less on what is really happening to the economy. I already even said as much Bones a number of times with there will be more upside then downside for at least 3 to 6 months last month. Thanks to big piles of cash from the tax break companies have bought back over 880 billion dollars of their own stock that's larger then the largest value of all but 4 companies traded on the stock market. Fang stocks are driving the market higher because it gets headlines but hides what is truly going on with the market. We're not addressing the overall problem with the trade wars and slowing worldwide economies as car and truck sales are seeing large drops and fuel prices are climbing up as well as material prices climbing up. You think Twitter is creating thousands of jobs and new economic opportunity seriously? Fang stocks will get exposed soon as stocks like Amazon, Apple, Google and Facebook and other large technology stock companies see slow downs.

"
Share buybacks hit their highest level in history last year, according to new data.

The total value of share repurchases by companies surged to a record $806.4 billion in 2018, up 55 percent from a year earlier, according to new data from S&P Dow Jones Indices. The record was more than 36 percent higher than the previous high watermark hit in 2007.

The buyback total is bigger than the market capitalization of all but four companies in the S&P 500, eclipsing the size of top constituents like Facebook, Exxon Mobil and Berkshire Hathaway.

It’s a common practice by publicly traded companies. Buying their own stock decreases the amount of outstanding shares in the market. Fewer shares out there means the remaining ones are worth more. It boosts earnings per share and is often used as an alternative to dividends. Critics say the move enriches stock-owning executives and increases income inequality.

The practice has come under scrutiny from some Washington lawmakers who say U.S. companies aren’t spending the windfall from 2017 tax cuts to create jobs. These latest numbers will likely add to that debate. Earlier this year, Sens. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., and Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., said they would introduce a bill that seeks to put preconditions on companies that want to buy their own stock, including that they pay workers at least $15 an hour and provide other benefits. The senators wrote that the practice fuels a “pervasive corporate ethos” and adds to the worst level of income inequality in decades.

In a tweet, former Goldman Sachs CEO Lloyd Blankfein challenged that premise and said “the money doesn’t vanish.”

“It gets reinvested in higher growth businesses that boost the economy and jobs,” he added. “Is that bad?”

Sanders, who is seeking the Democratic presidential nomination, responded that it doesn’t vanish — “it increases the wealth of billionaires like him,” referring to Blankfein."

"
Corporate America is flush with so much cash from President Trump's tax cuts that companies are rewarding shareholders with massive stock buybacks.
US companies have plowed more than $246 billion into stock buybacks this year, according to research firm Birinyi Associates. That's up 31% from the same point last year. Cisco (CSCO) and Wells Fargo (WFC) alone have announced plans to repurchase more than $20 billion of stock each.

Wall Street normally loves buybacks because they provide persistent demand for stocks while simultaneously inflating earnings per share.

But Goldman Sachs is voicing skepticism about companies focused on returning vast amounts of cash through buybacks and dividends instead of investing in the future through new factories and equipment.

"We expect cash return strategies will lag going forward," David Kostin, chief US equity strategist at Goldman Sachs, wrote in a recent report.
"

"Apple is set to announce its quarterly earnings for the second fiscal quarter of 2019 on April 30, and analysts are speculating on what could be announced in the filing and the following conference call with company executives. In the view of Wells Fargo, Apple will be providing more cash to investors from the significant sum it repatriated to the United States.

In a note to investors seen by AppleInsider, Wells Fargo analyst Aaron Rakers believes Apple will provide an update to its capital return program, as it has done for the last seven years. After repurchasing $48.68 billion in stock and paying out $10.75 billion in dividends, Apple's net cash is thought to be around $129.6 billion at the end of the quarter. "

If the feds were not promising to keep interest rates low, the stock market would be dipping. The economy is slowing and you fools are acting like it is still blazing full speed ahead. Jesus Christ, stop riding Trumps nut sack.
See my post Fang stocks are the only thing holding the market up even conservative traders are warning that the drop could be larger if Fang stocks start to weaken.

The economy is awesome

The media don’t talk about the economy because orange man bad

Edit: I only have my 401K and my Roth. I expect nothing will be there when I try to retire. Especially social security, that’ll be gone. And some market collapse will zero out my retirement plan.
Wow, this post is something else. Mocks Democrats then talks about fear that social security will be dismantled (a Republican dream and something Democrat’s would fight hard to protect). Brags about the economy (does not equal market) but thinks his 401k will get wiped out before retirement (so is a good economy meaningful or not?).

See my post Fang stocks are the only thing holding the market up even conservative traders are warning that the drop could be larger if Fang stocks start to weaken.

I can agree that they have a major impact, obviously since they are the big four. I also think the fact that the feds refuse to raise interest rates is a clear sign of uncertainty in our economy. If we had the strong economy that some people wish, interest would rise. Obviously it is more complex than one thing though. I really do hope that we dont see a harsh down turn and the common folks that have their retirement investments in stocks dont lose money.

I know we have a stock chat but this is a historic day. It's been a great time to build wealth. I hope you all have been heavily invested and have been enriched as I.

Don't have a source yet cuz market just closed 3 minutes ago but you better believe its true.

@PEB chicken little.
What’s the point of this thread? Unless things go really bad you’ll be able to create this same thread over and over throughout your life at various points!

Saying the stock market means the economy good is saying your health is improving if your cancer gets worse.

What’s the point of this thread? Unless things go really bad you’ll be able to create this same thread over and over throughout your life at various points!

It's pretty obvious that he is a gimmick account. All he does shrill for the wealthy.

Back