Ryan Hall's absolute match IBJJF Chicago

im so stoked to watch this cause im in brazil and havent gotten to see ity bu t the shitty internet im on is making it freeze after 7 minutes and im getting pissed

thats an atos back take, it comes from regular delariva when they try to move into a farside hip drop to pass

Coincidentally, Luis Pantoja (Yamasaki BJJ DC) who is in the same area (DC/Arlington) as Ryan Hall posted a video of this back-take a few weeks ago. However he posted it as a reverse de la riva sweep. I couldn't see well enough how Ryan had his hooks to know whether he had regular de la riva or reverse, but its the same idea.

I like this move a lot but haven't had a chance to actually nail it in live sparring.

Here's the vid:

Original link: YouTube - Reverse De La Riva Sweep

I like that sweep a lot, but it's not the one ryan used in the match above. Ryan was using a normal DLR hook for the sweep and then transitioned to a bake-take transition he's been using with a ton of success recently.

Last edited:
The DLR sweep ryan used is similar to this, but lower on the ground with more crazy technical legwork to control the opponent:

The DLR sweep ryan used is similar to this, but lower on the ground with more crazy technical legwork to control the opponent:

yep, basically the same sweep... well the concept is exactly the same anyway, lots of things happen in that transition

i think to play DLR you need that option along with the standard back take & sweeps

I did something similar to what Ryan did in class today. Not nearly as well, and the person was standing so it was much easier.

Thanks for posting this... The Mendes sweep is sick.

Back